One Rate for Comair? Thanx SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BluDevAv8r said:
Furthermore, ArcticFlier misses the fact that any XJT pilot who is a 145 captain never sees the 135 rate, even if they fly the 135. I have never ever been paid the 135 rate at my company even though I have flown the 135 many times. Only 135 captains get paid the 135 rate (when they fly the 135) and for soft time. The devil is in the details...

-Neal

Wouldn't know that. I don't work for XJET. All I was trying to point out was that even with our flying the 70 at 50 rates, we still have an overall higher average wage per hour than many others. If I remove the XJET 50/50 average would that make you guys feel better? Sorry I stepped on so many toes.

Grow up, poor management is what has caused the problems today.

Oh ........... stupid me...............I thought this was all the SKYW pilot's fault.

AF :cool:

Last edited:
An interesting and entertaining thread. I have a couple of points I would like to make as well:

1. I'm seeing a lot of stones thrown at the SKYW pilot group for the blended rates. As I understand it, the rate is for 50/70 seats, NOT 99 seats as has been mentioned a couple of times. I believe the 99 seat rate is part of what was recently voted down. Also, from what I've read, PSA, Mesaba F/O's, UAL, Delta, UPS, and some others I've already forgotten already have blended rates. This precedent was set decades ago by some of these carriers, so I'm not sure why SKYW is taking the blame for this, now. Someone please help me here. Also, it seems to me that a more appropriate focal point and cause of concern would be the overall lack of compensation accepted by a pilot group (reference Mesa's pay here as an obvious example).

2. PFT is a function of supply and demand, pure and simple. In the late 80's and early 90's PFT was prevalent because it made economic sense. Personally, I received a call from Comair in the early 90's and was informed that I had a job if I were to show up with a cashier's check for $10000. It was at this moment that I determined it was against my morals to ever accept a PFT job - no matter what. However, I'm sure there were literally hundreds of other pilots at that time who did not share those same morals, and consequently surrendered to PFT. Supply and demand in action, folks.

737 Pylt said:
Dave:
All good and valid points. You are correct sir. Southwest pays you from day one. Doesn't hold your money in an escrow account. They only require a type rating. It is their preference, my only gripe is that I can't afford one being married with kids. If I could, I'd be there in a nanosecond!
Jehtplane, much like a neutered dog, doesn't get it! But just look at most of his/her posts. The kid's probably 12 years old. Big friggin surprise there!

Ahhh, nothing useful to say as usual, I am suprised you didn't say" It's the mainline pilots fault" again, is that your line of the week, or did your parents write something else you can pronounce. There are plenty of airlines that just recently started paying you during training, and putting you in hotels during training, escrow account? Nobody called me and said pay 10grand and you are hired. I first went through an evaluation process with Flight Safety. A psych test, Sim profile, and background checks. Then had to interview with the airline. More checks, was then offered a job conditional on passing training. No not everyone passes the interviews, Half the people I interviewed with did not, not everyone passes the Flight safety eval, some guys had to redo the sim profile, and then not everyone passes the training, 3 guys out of 11 washed out. You did not get extra sim sessions, our instructors could have cared less if we passed or not. It was not , at least at my airline, hand over 10 grand and you have a job, do I regret my decision to do it, absolutely not does that make me less of a person than you, absolutely not. Does that make me have the same logic as a scab, NO and if you think that, you are honestly a moron of the highest level. I did not cross a picket line or take somebody else's job. 737 and Dave, don't worry like I said the stupidity pills are being developed just for people like you!

Dave Benjamin said:
Does Southwest receive any substantial economic benefit as a result of their type rating requirement?
I'm told Southwest gets a much lower insurance rate due to the type requirement. So one could argue that they do enjoy an economic benefit. Otherwise, I'm not sure why they'd do it aside from minimizing their workload when reviewing applications (ie. culling the herd.)

I'm with you on all your other points, though. PFT was much worse than anything we see today (including SkyWest's 70-seat rates... :( ). Don't listen to Jehtplane, I think he may have some inferiority issues since we bought his company like a used Datsun. ;)

jehtplane said:
737 and Dave, don't worry like I said the stupidity pills are being developed just for people like you!
Add me to this list jeht, I think your rationale is seriously flawed. Sooo...everyone else is stupid? Um...ok.

Last edited:
For your consideration:

CRJ 700 rates:

Horizon 115
Comair 113 (going to change)
ASA 103
Eagle 94
SKYW 93
PSA 91
Mesa 90

CRJ 200
Comair 101 (going to change)
SKYW 93
AWAC 89
PSA 84
ASA 82
Pinnacle 82
MAG 78

EMB 140/145

XJET 90
Eagle 90
EMB 140 86
CHQ 90
EMB 140 80
TSA 80
MAG 78

SKYW is middle of the pack on the 700 and top of the heap on the 200 (given the proposal regarding Comair). If we want to weight averages as someone has (rightly) suggested to get a more accurate idea of how hourly wages fare, I'd say the SKYW guys are doing okay. Again, I'm not happy about the rate structure, but we're trying to fix it given the current negotiating structure we've got.

Throw your stones elsewhere.

jehtp(f)lame said:

AF :cool:

jehtplane said:
I did not cross a picket line or take somebody else's job. 737 and Dave, don't worry like I said the stupidity pills are being developed just for people like you!

Untrue. Guys like you prevented better qualified pilots that had integrity from taking that job. Back in the PFT era I knew countless Pt 135 guys with several thousand hours, flawless work histories, and solid abilities that would have been willing to take the paycut to work at a regional but were not willing to shell out money for FAA mandated company specific training. Guys like you not only set the profession back but kept wages down. Pretty hard for the union to argue for a raise when there are guys waving $10,000 checks around just to have a shot at the job.

"Stupidity pills." Wow that's so clever. You're so creative. How come you didn't pursue comedy writing as a vocation? No surprise you're still at a regional is there?

What a f#$%'ng moron.

ArcticFlier said:
Wouldn't know that. I don't work for XJET. All I was trying to point out was that even with our flying the 70 at 50 rates, we still have an overall higher average wage per hour than many others. If I remove the XJET 50/50 average would that make you guys feel better? Sorry I stepped on so many toes.

Well as I said, the devil is in the details. Your analysis was flawed in many ways. Fortunately, you acknowledged part of your analysis' shortcomings. But even doing a weighted average is flawed in our case. I like debate...but I like to debate the facts.

ArcticFlier said:

Oh ........... stupid me...............I thought this was all the SKYW pilot's fault.

Where did I say anything about this being Skywest's fault? You are pointing your venom at the wrong dude unfortunately. I think you should be careful about who you tell to "grow up" when it comes to issues like these AF.

-Neal

Dave Benjamin said:
Untrue. Guys like you prevented better qualified pilots that had integrity from taking that job. Back in the PFT era I knew countless Pt 135 guys with several thousand hours, flawless work histories, and solid abilities that would have been willing to take the paycut to work at a regional but were not willing to shell out money for FAA mandated company specific training. Guys like you not only set the profession back but kept wages down. Pretty hard for the union to argue for a raise when there are guys waving $10,000 checks around just to have a shot at the job.

"Stupidity pills." Wow that's so clever. You're so creative. How come you didn't pursue comedy writing as a vocation? No surprise you're still at a regional is there?

What a f#$%'ng moron.

Whatever, you don't know me or have any idea what my qualifications were back then. Enjoy your life where you are at see ya!!!!!!

jehtplane said:
Whatever, you don't know me or have any idea what my qualifications were back then. Enjoy your life where you are at see ya!!!!!!

Based on your profile data of 6500 TT back in April of this year (or later if you've updated it) and your exact words "PFT was the norm in the 90's", we can safely assume you were a very low time inexperienced pilot if you were indeed hired in the 90's. Since PFT was all but eliminated by 1999 it's a safe bet to figure you were one of those guys with 300-700 hours and a check from Mommy and Daddy to pay for your training.
If you did have any real experience prior to your regional job I'm sure you would have pointed it out since you went to the trouble of outlining just how challenging that PFT program at FSI was.

I am enjoying life.

And I can look myself in the mirror every morning without shame.

Last edited:
Dave Benjamin said:
Based on your profile data of 6500 TT back in April of this year (or later if you've updated it) and your exact words "PFT was the norm in the 90's", we can safely assume you were a very low time inexperienced pilot if you were indeed hired in the 90's. Since PFT was all but eliminated by 1999 it's a safe bet to figure you were one of those guys with 300-700 hours and a check from Mommy and Daddy to pay for your training.
If you did have any real experience prior to your regional job I'm sure you would have pointed it out since you went to the trouble of outlining just how challenging that PFT program at FSI was.

I am enjoying life.

And I can look myself in the mirror every morning without shame.

Disregard, not worth it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back