• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Once a Air Force Fighter Pilot=Never Cool Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The military would rather produce a pilot with the ego and B*lls to take an aircraft into downtown Hanoi with a significant chance of not coming back, than one that's fun to fly with on a grueling 4 day trip with a challenging ILS at the end of each leg.

I for one have flown with more egos from Riddle than that boys and girls school in Colorado.

They're all pains in the a**, but I get over it.

The military would rather produce a pilot with the ego and B*lls to take an aircraft into downtown Hanoi with a significant chance of not coming back, than one that's fun to fly with on a grueling 4 day trip with a challenging ILS at the end of each leg.

That was hysterical...oh, wait...you WERE trying to be funny, right?

I don't know what all the fuss is about. About 95% of the captains I fly with at big D are ex-mil and ...

1) They don't advertise it. You have to ask them what they did prior to Delta.

2) I haven't noticed a difference between the services or the aircraft (except the Marines are a bit "out there," the navy guys are the most laid back.)

3) 99% of the captains I've flown with are the highest-caliber, friendliest, most professional group of aviators I've come across yet -- by a mile. I'm on airline #3. There was never any "hazing" like the bull******************** at ACA (a farkin commuter for God's sake.)

It boggles my mind why people don't' understand basic grammar. The tittle: "Once A Air Force fighter pilot." NO! The difference in "an" vs "a." When the word preceding begins with a vowel use "AN." If it begins with a syllable use "A" with the exception of Y. Just listen to how F&*d up it sounds.

It boggles my mind why people don't' understand basic grammar. The tittle: "Once A Air Force fighter pilot." NO! The difference in "an" vs "a." When the word preceding begins with a vowel, use "AN." If it begins with a syllable, use "A" with the exception of "Y." Just listen to how F&*d up it sounds.

It boggles my mind why people don't understand basic punctuation and spelling. Just look at how f&*d up it looks.

:laugh:

All you have to do to understand is look at AF vs. Navy manuals.

AF manuals are all about what you can do. Everything else is forbidden.

Navy manuals are what you CAN'T do. Everything else is governed by individual judgment.

Why? The Navy philosophy is based on command at sea, where the Captain is basicly out there making independent decisions. The Air Force derives it philosophy from the Army (WWII Army Air Force) where microcommand and control were paramount.

-1s are written in black and white by engineers and theorists.

NATOPS are written in the blood of other aviators.

All you have to do to understand is look at AF vs. Navy manuals.

AF manuals are all about what you can do. Everything else is forbidden.

Navy manuals are what you CAN'T do. Everything else is governed by individual judgment.

There is one singular place where this argument is true: the Dash 1 flight manual. Other than that, this statement is a nice intra-service rivalry (untrue and incorrect) rumor that keeps getting perpetuated.

This quote, or a variation of it, is in the first chapter of every USAF -1:

The flight manual takes a positive approach and normally states only what you can do. Unusual operations or configurations are prohibited unless specifically covered herein. Clearance from higher headquarters must be obtained before any questionable operation, which is not specifically permitted in this manual, is attempted.

Latest resources

Back