• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Once a Air Force Fighter Pilot=Never Cool Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the dudes who passed the kind words...

Here's a simple rule:

If a guy was a dick when he was in high school, was a jerk in the fraternity or at the academy, was a jerk in pilot training, was a jerk as flight lead, instructor, evaluator, or squadron DO or commander...he'll probably end up a dick as an airline pilot too.

If a guy was a great guy in high school, a lot of fun at the academy or in college, was a bro in pilot trianing helping his buddies, was a good guy as a wingman, young fight lead, IP, evaluator, and squadorn DO or comander, he probably is a great guy to fly a trip with at the airline.

We make choices as to what kind of person we want to be...generally at a young age. We spend the next 20-30 years trying to live up to our goals. Some guys seem to enjoy being jerks...others pride themselves on letting their flying and their friends do their talking for them. I know which camp I aspire to be in...probably fall into both camps at times but at least I'm trying...

And the best synopsis on how to control an ego came from John Moore, my UPT classmate who passed away in early 90s in his late 20s after a bout with melanoma. He would always say "whenever you start to get proud of yourself, just remember we are nothing but heavy equipment operators for the US Government..." Whenever I started to feel a little too big for my britches as an Eagle guy, I just remembered Mojo's words and tried to snap back reality.

My own identity? I flew over 2000 hours in the mighty Eagle, and I'm proud of the fighter pilot title. By I've also flown gliders, been a CFI/CFII including time as a University instructor, flown jumpers over the Cape Canavaral area, flown 727s and MD-11s all over the world, and spent countless hours chasing clouds in a host of GA planes. I learn something from every plane I fly, and something from every other pilot I fly with... So...pick your own labels, but the one I have always aspired to is "aviator". There is always something else to learn, and more adventures to savor...

Last edited:

Here's a simple rule:

If a guy was a dick when he was in high school, was a jerk in the fraternity or at the academy, was a jerk in pilot training, was a jerk as flight lead, instructor, evaluator, or squadron DO or commander...he'll probably end up a dick as an airline pilot too.

If a guy was a great guy in high school, a lot of fun at the academy or in college, was a bro in pilot trianing helping his buddies, was a good guy as a wingman, young fight lead, IP, evaluator, and squadorn DO or comander, he probably is a great guy to fly a trip with at the airline.

We make choices as to what kind of person we want to be...generally at a young age. We spend the next 20-30 years trying to live up to our goals. Some guys seem to enjoy being jerks...others pride themselves on letting their flying and their friends do their talking for them. I know which camp I aspire to be in...probably fall into both camps at times but at least I'm trying...

And the best synopsis on how to control an ego came from John Moore, my UPT classmate who passed away in early 90s in his late 20s after a bout with melanoma. He would always say "whenever you start to get proud of yourself, just remember we are nothing but heavy equipment operators for the US Government..." Whenever I started to feel a little too big for my britches as an Eagle guy, I just remembered Mojo's words and tried to snap back reality.

My own identity? I flew over 2000 hours in the mighty Eagle, and I'm proud of the fighter pilot title. By I've also flown gliders, been a CFI/CFII including time as a University instructor, flown jumpers over the Cape Canavaral area, flown 727s and MD-11s all over the world, and spent countless hours chasing clouds in a host of GA planes. I learn something from every plane I fly, and something from every other pilot I fly with... So...pick your own labels, but the one I have always aspired to is "aviator". There is always something else to learn, and more adventures to savor...

Great post.

Most of the fighter guys I know arent too bad, although the other day an F-15 IP I was having beers with was in danger of pegging the Dorky needle from wearing a Journey concert shirt. And I dont even mean the old Journey, I mean the new iteration that goes around the state fairs and had the Filipino singer.

Something like that would seem callsign worthy.

We should start a thread titled "All RJ pilots are Dorks" and compare the response to this one. I'm sure the wailing and gnashing of teeth would continue for weeks.

No, I don't think RJ pilots are dorks. Just stirring the pot a little. OBTW , the delta guy that announced that he was "a fighter guy for 23 years" to the pax is definitely a dork.

Like to fly airplanes

Here's a simple rule:

sounds like you like to fly airplanes, what a novel concept in this business

I go with the one in 10 rule. It's worked at every place I have ever been. One out of every ten pilots you fly with will be a total dork.

If you have 10,000 then 9,000 will be a descent bunch of hard working guys. The other 1,000 well you guess it. The reason why Airforce guys get a bum rap is because they represent the largest number of total pilots hired (out of that 10,000).

So just by basic math they tend to be the largest portion of the 1,000 dorks. It's the laws of probability and not what branch of the service or mill vs civilian.

We should start a thread titled "All RJ pilots are Dorks" and compare the response to this one. I'm sure the wailing and gnashing of teeth would continue for weeks.

No, I don't think RJ pilots are dorks. Just stirring the pot a little. OBTW , the delta guy that announced that he was "a fighter guy for 23 years" to the pax is definitely a dork.

If you feel the need to have an f-teen in the middle of your screen name, you may be a dork.

Sorry, that one was just too easy. Thanks for your service to our country. :)

I flew with an F-teen kernel last week and at the bar he stated, "this is a great retirement job", I replied, "oh, you did 20 years, ans retired from the AF, I can see you saying that"

"no, what I mean to say that the peak of my career was flying fighters, not airliners".

"So, you peaked at the age of 24?"

"well, uh, I flew fighters beyond that, and I was a kernel, did i mention that?"

"so the leadership position you had, being charge of a wing, or squadron, that was your career peak?"

"no, no, it was flying fighters."

I wasn't sure if I was more pissed off at his lack of humility, or more embarrassed for a guy who had nothing to live for past the age of 24.

I'm sure his family is soooo proud.

"We do 60+ degree banks all the time in the C-17. Why do you guys get so uptight when I exceed 30."

Maybe it's because we're not dodging ground fire and those poor bastards in the back ARE, IN FACT, paying our salary.

Latest resources

Back