• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Once a Air Force Fighter Pilot=Never Cool Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the dudes who passed the kind words...

Here's a simple rule:

If a guy was a dick when he was in high school, was a jerk in the fraternity or at the academy, was a jerk in pilot training, was a jerk as flight lead, instructor, evaluator, or squadron DO or commander...he'll probably end up a dick as an airline pilot too.

If a guy was a great guy in high school, a lot of fun at the academy or in college, was a bro in pilot trianing helping his buddies, was a good guy as a wingman, young fight lead, IP, evaluator, and squadorn DO or comander, he probably is a great guy to fly a trip with at the airline.

We make choices as to what kind of person we want to be...generally at a young age. We spend the next 20-30 years trying to live up to our goals. Some guys seem to enjoy being jerks...others pride themselves on letting their flying and their friends do their talking for them. I know which camp I aspire to be in...probably fall into both camps at times but at least I'm trying...

And the best synopsis on how to control an ego came from John Moore, my UPT classmate who passed away in early 90s in his late 20s after a bout with melanoma. He would always say "whenever you start to get proud of yourself, just remember we are nothing but heavy equipment operators for the US Government..." Whenever I started to feel a little too big for my britches as an Eagle guy, I just remembered Mojo's words and tried to snap back reality.

My own identity? I flew over 2000 hours in the mighty Eagle, and I'm proud of the fighter pilot title. By I've also flown gliders, been a CFI/CFII including time as a University instructor, flown jumpers over the Cape Canavaral area, flown 727s and MD-11s all over the world, and spent countless hours chasing clouds in a host of GA planes. I learn something from every plane I fly, and something from every other pilot I fly with... So...pick your own labels, but the one I have always aspired to is "aviator". There is always something else to learn, and more adventures to savor...

Wow! Top FI posts of all time!

OK, I'll take a shot - btw, great post Albie. I don't care what kind of airplane you flew or which service you flew it - fighters, heavies, helicopters...Navy, AF, Marine, Army - if you served, we're probably going to have a good trip together. I didn't say always, I said probably. If you're a civilian, you can be a good dude and a good stick as well...and it can also be an enjoyable trip - but it will never be the same as flying with another military guy - and here's why.

Military guys serve in our armed forces because they believe in our country and our ideals. We choose, when we sign the dotted line, to put our lives on the line if so required, i.e. selfless service. There is a common bond - a brotherhood - that lives deep down in us, whether it was as an enlisted guy in the Army or a fighter pilot in the Navy - that we will always share, and that no civilian can ever understand. It's a silent pride thing - I don't think I'm a better pilot or person than any civilian - but I will always have a place in my heart for the love of my country and all that I sacrificed in order to achieve it. Civilians CAN be true patriots as well - but never to the same "aspect" of the military man - especially one that has lost brothers in both training and combat (which I have and many other military folks on this forum have as well).

As far as flying a trip with a military guy - well, I typically enjoy it more simply because we have a common background. There are a bunch of civilian guys I've flown with as well that are a true joy to hang out with and fly a great jet. But for all the civilian guys on here that badmouth military guys because they're "d*cks, dorks, etc"...never forget he served his country honorably and has lost brothers in the line of duty - and that's something you have never experienced.

As a side note, the book "Lone Survivor" does a great job at explaining in detail what I just said.

. . . And, you can cuss with military proficiency, regale in stories about B*****g F*****G G**g back at XXXX AB, without worrying that you're offending some PC ***** loving', **** sucking, civilian pantywaist M****r F****r.

. . . And, you can cuss with military proficiency, regale in stories about B*****g F*****G G**g back at XXXX AB, without worrying that you're offending some PC ***** loving', **** sucking, civilian pantywaist M****r F****r.

that's right...you can keep living in the past.
well, none of us so-called "PC civilian pantywaists" give a damn what the entry speed of a loop in a T-38 is, much less where you got your callsign.

I wasn't sure if I was more pissed off at his lack of humility, or more embarrassed for a guy who had nothing to live for past the age of 24.

I'm sure his family is soooo proud.

Hi, I always dislike the civil vs military thing. However I can claim to have done both. I am sure his family is proud. I know mine is.

I hope I don't live in the past but I will admit that my time flying fighters was the pinnacle of my career so far. Lucky for me it lasted well past age 24. Great memories and now on to making more.

Sorry you had some bad experiences with ex military types. This job is way more fun when we all can laugh at ourselves and look forward to a good trip

OK, I'll take a shot - btw, great post Albie. I don't care what kind of airplane you flew or which service you flew it - fighters, heavies, helicopters...Navy, AF, Marine, Army - if you served, we're probably going to have a good trip together. I didn't say always, I said probably. If you're a civilian, you can be a good dude and a good stick as well...and it can also be an enjoyable trip - but it will never be the same as flying with another military guy - and here's why.

Military guys serve in our armed forces because they believe in our country and our ideals. We choose, when we sign the dotted line, to put our lives on the line if so required, i.e. selfless service. There is a common bond - a brotherhood - that lives deep down in us, whether it was as an enlisted guy in the Army or a fighter pilot in the Navy - that we will always share, and that no civilian can ever understand. It's a silent pride thing - I don't think I'm a better pilot or person than any civilian - but I will always have a place in my heart for the love of my country and all that I sacrificed in order to achieve it. Civilians CAN be true patriots as well - but never to the same "aspect" of the military man - especially one that has lost brothers in both training and combat (which I have and many other military folks on this forum have as well).

As far as flying a trip with a military guy - well, I typically enjoy it more simply because we have a common background. There are a bunch of civilian guys I've flown with as well that are a true joy to hang out with and fly a great jet. But for all the civilian guys on here that badmouth military guys because they're "d*cks, dorks, etc"...never forget he served his country honorably and has lost brothers in the line of duty - and that's something you have never experienced.

As a side note, the book "Lone Survivor" does a great job at explaining in detail what I just said.

Tell all of that to the firefighters, cops, and PA cops that died in the Towers. Or any firefighter or cop for that matter.

While I agree with "most" of what you said, you are idealizing it quite a bit. Many join for college, or to pi$$ off parents (got one of those in my squadron), or because their BAC was higher than their GPA for their first semester of college (met lots of senior enlisted with this problem).

Yeah, they sign, yeah they take the risks, but not all do so with the faint refrain of "America the Beautiful" in the background. Yet despite that, what makes us share in the bond that you mentioned is the Oath that we so freely take, and hopefully sincerely believe in.

Last edited:
Tell all of that to the firefighters, cops, and PA cops that died in the Towers. Or any firefighter or cop for that matter.

While I agree with "most" of what you said, you are idealizing it quite a bit. Many join for college, or to pi$$ off parents (got one of those in my squadron), or because their BAC was higher than their GPA for their first semester of college (met lots of senior enlisted with this problem).

Yeah, they sign, yeah they take the risks, but not all do so with the faint refrain of "America the Beautiful" in the background. Yet despite that, what makes us share in the bond that you mentioned is the Oath that we so freely take, and hopefully sincerely believe in.
Thread drift....this is about flying personalities among civi and military.

Scrapdog said it best.....

Latest resources

Back