• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Once a Air Force Fighter Pilot=Never Cool Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thread drift....this is about flying personalities among civi and military.

Scrapdog said it best.....

Yes, Colonel.

You alone are the arbiter of this great social mess called flightinfo.com -- your service, while misunderstood, is of great value to the internet.

So, what I take away from this thread is that the best pilots come from "The Auburn University"!! As a civilian guy, I really enjoy flying with military folks. Wanted to be one myself but, it was not meant to be. Timing can be a bitch.. My take, Embry Riddle is the Air force Academy of the civilian ranks. Never quite developed social skills. Enjoy the ride.....

Well said 800- (cept for the Auburn part... ;) I agree- love flying w/ the mil guys bc it's different

Scrap- my standard take on the mil/civ debate is that I don't have any problem with your pride- just don't attempt to take away mine. Your post is alright if that's your thing- but it's prejudicial. A Mil resume doesn't entitle you to anything- you know that some serve better than others- some are true selfless patriots - others took a job and are a drain on taxpayer funds and in it for their own gain. And conversely, there are many good and patriotic people who never were in the military. Your words sound narrowminded toward civilians- and that you ought to get some super-citizenship in the US for your service- and special treatment in the airlines. It's two different worlds brother. Let it go. Serving in the military is as relevant to the airlines as my college football days. It helped make us who we are- but time marches on.

There is one singular place where this argument is true: the Dash 1 flight manual. Other than that, this statement is a nice intra-service rivalry (untrue and incorrect) rumor that keeps getting perpetuated.

This quote, or a variation of it, is in the first chapter of every USAF -1:

I cannot comment with any kind of certainty with regards to what a -1 does or does not let you do. It's painful enough reading my own NATOPS. I have no desire to read a -1 for fun. I'd rather rip my fingernails off with rusty pliers and soak the bloody stumps in lemon juice.

What I do have experience with is operating on both USN bases and USAF bases as well as participating in USN sponsored exercises and USAF sponsored exercises. I'll take the USN mentality. The USAF seems to find a way to make everything a little more difficult then it needs to be- whether it be checking into the BOQ, an airspace, getting a tee time, dropping a weapon, hooking up with enlisted girls or crossing a dreaded red line on the ramp.

I cannot comment with any kind of certainty with regards to what a -1 does or does not let you do. It's painful enough reading my own NATOPS. I have no desire to read a -1 for fun. I'd rather rip my fingernails off with rusty pliers and soak the bloody stumps in lemon juice.

What I do have experience with is operating on both USN bases and USAF bases as well as participating in USN sponsored exercises and USAF sponsored exercises. I'll take the USN mentality. The USAF seems to find a way to make everything a little more difficult then it needs to be- whether it be checking into the BOQ, an airspace, getting a tee time, dropping a weapon, hooking up with enlisted girls or crossing a dreaded red line on the ramp.

The red line is funny, but the COL that patrols the flightline and enforces it is even funnier.

COL is the new CAPT in the USAF.

Going back to the Deed next year -- oh joy. Better get my reflective belt drycleaned.

:p

The red line is funny, but the COL that patrols the flightline and enforces it is even funnier.

COL is the new CAPT in the USAF.

Going back to the Deed next year -- oh joy. Better get my reflective belt drycleaned.

:p

Chef, I have some spare reflective belts if you need one! We are doing an exercise at McChord this week and the number one rule is everyone has to wear a reflective belt 24/7. It is noon, 80 degrees and sunny and you are at your desk inside....better have it on. Instead of focusing attention to the task at hand, we are stuck in a reflective belt culture now. I say outlaw reflective belts and let nature take its course. If you can't cross the street without getting hit by a car then you should be naturally selected from the herd. Sorry for the thread drift....now back to those awful fighter pilots...that means you Bavarian Chef.

Met Chappie James at the Auger Inn at Randolph in the late 60's. As a Brown Bar, I had the stupidity to break into his conversation and introduce myself; he had the class to shake my hand and buy me another beer (I didn't need it). Some things you never forget. They threw away the mold when the war produced the likes of Chappie James and Robin Olds.......RIP.

Met Chappie James at the Auger Inn at Randolph in the late 60's. As a Brown Bar, I had the stupidity to break into his conversation and introduce myself; he had the class to shake my hand and buy me another beer (I didn't need it). Some things you never forget. They threw away the mold when the war produced the likes of Chappie James and Robin Olds.......RIP.

Yeah...they called themselves..."Black Man and Robin"

Chef, I have some spare reflective belts if you need one! We are doing an exercise at McChord this week and the number one rule is everyone has to wear a reflective belt 24/7. It is noon, 80 degrees and sunny and you are at your desk inside....better have it on. Instead of focusing attention to the task at hand, we are stuck in a reflective belt culture now. I say outlaw reflective belts and let nature take its course. If you can't cross the street without getting hit by a car then you should be naturally selected from the herd. Sorry for the thread drift....now back to those awful fighter pilots...that means you Bavarian Chef.

Dude, sorry I haven't called you back -- will do next week.

You should see what Andrews is doing in preparation for Swine Season.

We had to send a LT to a 2 plus day conference/symposium on base -- my favorite is the Personnel Distancing Procedures (or whatever they called it). "Now hear this, all Base Personnel must remain 6ft away from all other Base Personnel at all times."

No sheet.

But then we digress again. God forbid we have thread drift on the internet. I am pretty sure the AF internet manual forbids it.

that's right...you can keep living in the past.
well, none of us so-called "PC civilian pantywaists" give a damn what the entry speed of a loop in a T-38 is, much less where you got your callsign.

What the captain means is that he enjoys flying with airmen of diverse backgrounds. While he has found most of his present-day cohorts to be very pleasant and capable, he especially relishes the camaraderie and common bond shared among those who took an oath, donned a uniform and served their country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1AYVcAS7k

Latest resources

Back