• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Once a Air Force Fighter Pilot=Never Cool Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It boggles my mind why people don't' understand basic grammar. The tittle: "Once A Air Force fighter pilot." NO! The difference in "an" vs "a." When the word preceding begins with a vowel use "AN." If it begins with a syllable use "A" with the exception of Y. Just listen to how F&*d up it sounds.

You might want to sit the next round out...

All you have to do to understand is look at AF vs. Navy manuals.

AF manuals are all about what you can do. Everything else is forbidden.

Navy manuals are what you CAN'T do. Everything else is governed by individual judgment.

Why? The Navy philosophy is based on command at sea, where the Captain is basicly out there making independent decisions. The Air Force derives it philosophy from the Army (WWII Army Air Force) where microcommand and control were paramount.

Air Force structure, doctrine and command philosophy is quite logical when you consider the historical context from which it (the AF) derives it's raison d'etre.

It was borne out of the Army, during a period in which great and powerful corporations became transformed by a wartime economy. It teethed for decades on the marrow of nuclear weapons and the lunacy of the Cold War.

The AF is in essence, IBM or GM or Du Pont -- circa 1950.

None of this however, explains why so many cute chicks enlist in the Air Force.

I like most of the "fighter guys" I've run into. A good majority are thicked skinned from getting their rear ends ripped during debriefs. A good majority of them are good sticks and some are not, as is the case in every community. As for the "Colorado Springs" types, many of my good friends are from the zoo. Yeah, they are a little off but what do you expect when their social skill development ended at the end of high school ;-)
Having been in trainers and heavies all my life, I ran across many "fighter wannabees" who tend to generalize the fighter guys as arrogant jerks. I think this sort of attitude is due to self generated inferiority complex; should have, could have, would have types, if you know what I mean. I did come across a few butt wipes but a good majority of the guys/gals are good $hit, IMO. I fly with many tactical jet/fighter pilots at my airline job and I have never had a bad experience.
Bottom line is this. If one feels comfortable and confident with his/her skills as a pilot, there's nothing to prove. It's those who are lacking that make up for their inabilities with their attitude. My .02.

Most of the ones I know are pretty cool. Now, if I could just get them to stop talking with their hands......

Most of the ones I know are pretty cool. Now, if I could just get them to stop talking with their hands......

Deaf people drive me nuts too. And mimes.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. About 95% of the captains I fly with at big D are ex-mil and ...

1) They don't advertise it. You have to ask them what they did prior to Delta.

2) I haven't noticed a difference between the services or the aircraft (except the Marines are a bit "out there," the navy guys are the most laid back.)

3) 99% of the captains I've flown with are the highest-caliber, friendliest, most professional group of aviators I've come across yet -- by a mile. I'm on airline #3. There was never any "hazing" like the bull******************** at ACA (a farkin commuter for God's sake.)

Damn holmes, u tripping. Lots of dorks at big D. Most of them are military pukes. Air Force is especially bad. As soon as you meet the captain and see that gay ring, you know you are in for a long trip. Also, ACA was a good airline. Mostly really good people there.

How do you know your pilot used to fly fighters? He will tell you.

non-revving from CHS to ATL the other day, the captain comes out of the cockpit just before pushback and grabs the microphone to say a few words. He introduces the flight attendants (nice), introduces the FO (great), and tells us the flight time and the weather (fine).

He then goes on to say he flew fighters in the Air Force for 23 years, and that he will try not to get the urge to do a barrel roll. What followed was one of the least smooth flights I have been on in a long time.

Latest resources

Back