• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NY Times reports Pardus/Bethune think NWA too messy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If there has to be a merger, I, along with most analysts, think it will be with NWA. I hope it is with NWA if there has to be one. I think it is a better fit. No offense. Maybe CAL and UAL would be a better fit for you.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Interesting little tidbit from the StarTribune in Minneapolis this morning. I guess if DL is the surviving airline, then all the other union contracts @NWA are null and void and would have to be renegotiated:eek: :

The pilots at both airlines are represented by the Air Line Pilots Association and are in regular contact. A common union philosophy does not exist for flight attendants and employees on the ground.

Under federal law, the surviving airline would hold an election of workers to determine if they want to remain in their union.

Failure to obtain a majority of votes from a combined Delta-Northwest group would end union representation and void the existing contract.

In the case of flight attendants, an organizing drive is underway to make Delta flight attendants part of the same organization that represents Northwest's.

There's no doubt in my mind that the pilot's for both airlines could somehow come to an agreement either with or without arbitration. The problem as stated above are the other employees.

I wasn't aware there was a drive by the DL FA's to join the same union as their counterparts at NWA, but that would be the smart thing to do. I would think the rest of the employee should also embark on a similar process. The hardest part of any umbrella contract for employees will be the fact that Anderson cannot offer job security for everyone. This industry is just too volatile. In order to keep harmony, Anderson will need to adjust the compensation package upwards for all employees as a show of good faith. At some point if the industry sinks to new lows, his next step would be to pare hubs and employees.

:pimp:​

There were many layers to LCC's hostile take over defeat.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of all that. Sounds like a good job by Moak and strong unity among the Delta pilots. That's always a good thing in this industry that we could almost always use more of. Unless of course Delta buys JetBlue *staple, staple* but other than that gotta respect pilot unity wherever and whenever its found.:beer:

GL--I think the Reno guys would have a different opinion of their integration. They were stapled and yanked out of their CA seats. The ONLY upsides were the increase in pay and the fact that a large hiring wave started right after they were placed on the list.

The AirCal guys got a SWEET deal and that has since driven the APA merger policy of stapling as many as you can get away with. A lot of those hired right before the AirCal acquisition got their upgrades delayed by as much as 7 or 8 years. (Not shedding any tears for them since they're all 767 CA's if they want to be...) But I digress.

I do stand by my belief that if Wall St. REALLY wants a merger to happen, the unions won't be able to stop it.

jksfly--It's not that people specifically want UAL to fail or be broken up, too many people don't have a problem profiting at other's expense. THAT's where our "profession" is today. Pull up that ladder... Good luck. TC

I do stand by my belief that if Wall St. REALLY wants a merger to happen, the unions won't be able to stop it.

The unions can't stop a merger, but they can dissuade parties before the fact, and could prove to be a very influential "poison pill" if the terms are not sufficiently favorable for them. and Wall Street can't stop that.

then the union busters would be forced to hire buffoons like Tanker Clown.

The unions can't stop a merger, but they can dissuade parties before the fact, and could prove to be a very influential "poison pill" if the terms are not sufficiently favorable for them. and Wall Street can't stop that.

then the union busters would be forced to hire buffoons like Tanker Clown.

They should be so lucky. Are you telling me that I'd be any worse than Instructordude?

Latest resources

Back