• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA, Delta pilot clash blocking merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The bottom third will all be Delta pilots? No thanks hosers. Lee Moak better be all over this like a teamster on a meatball sandwich.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Quote from another financial message board.
Delta is not buying NWA or anyone. If this deal goes will be a stock swap. DAL has $4.0 Billion debt due now through 2011, NWA $1.9. DAL has $1.0 Billion LESS cash on hand than NWA. DAL CASM is 10% higher than NWA. NWA Cash/Monthly Expense ratio over twice as good as DAL, 3.2 to 1.5 and NWA operating margin is almost 60% higher than DAL. NWA pretax margin is 139% higher than DAL. NWA had the highest operating margins in the industry in 2007. NWA gets 12% revenue from RJ's while DAL is 25%/expensive. DAL needs a merger/help before end of 2009 or gets tight on cash again. Over the next 20 years, the Pacific Region will have over twice the growth rate of any other region. DAL Pacific operation is 0.2% of their overall ops. NWA has 10% of their operations in Asia with 68 B-787 slots locked up. Who really needs who? p.s. Heard the equity is 7% but the pilots are FAR apart on seniority integration.

That's great. You have a lot of old planes, and krappy bases. Where do you think our new 777LRs will be going as we get them? We get 6 new ones within 3 months later this year. We will overfly NRT and go nonstop, probably from LAX and ATL. I have a feeling our .2% will rise a bit, eh? But according to you, DL will be empty because NWA is so well known and really the "home town favorite" in Japan, at least according to your NRT gate agents.......whatever...

Bye Bye--General Lee

The bottom third will all be Delta pilots? No thanks hosers.

Agreed. I don't put much merit into this idea, seems more like a flaimbait or a response to the a previous rediculous idea. Hopefully a fairly fair and equitable solution will be found if the deal is meant to be.

Agreed. I don't put much merit into this idea, seems more like a flaimbait or a response to the a previous rediculous idea. Hopefully a fairly fair and equitable solution will be found if the deal is meant to be.

There you go, you sound rational now. I know there are retirements in your future, which would good for all of us, period. We are getting more planes than you are, and only you guys will be needing to get rid of planes sooner than later (DC9s and 742s). So, your retirements will offset your old planes leaving. YES, you are getting a boat load of 787s, just like we are getting a lot of 777LRs, which can fly the same distance as a 787, with more people and cargo.

If this deal is a good one for all sides, then it may be a go. If your "cowboy" negotiators are hell bent on unrealistic expectations like the USAir Easties, then it won't, and it also won't get any better with the CAL boys and girls either. If that is the case, those DC9s better last a while longer for you...

Bye Bye--General Lee

There you go, you sound rational now. I know there are retirements in your future, which would good for all of us, period. We are getting more planes than you are, and only you guys will be needing to get rid of planes sooner than later (DC9s and 742s). So, your retirements will offset your old planes leaving. YES, you are getting a boat load of 787s, just like we are getting a lot of 777LRs, which can fly the same distance as a 787, with more people and cargo.

If this deal is a good one for all sides, then it may be a go. If your "cowboy" negotiators are hell bent on unrealistic expectations like the USAir Easties, then it won't, and it also won't get any better with the CAL boys and girls either. If that is the case, those DC9s better last a while longer for you...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well, we are kind of a wild bunch, so hopefully our "cowboys" have the best and quickest draw in the south (or north I guess if they are negotiating in NY). Anyway, I think that both managements are beginning the process of negotiating in the public in order to pit the groups against each other. The opening match is the cowboys vs the rednecks. The grand finally is management leaving a fragmented group with the money. However, this could backfire if there is no deal, as it could very well bring the separate groups into a much more cohesive unit.

By the way, how many firm orders are in place for 777's? How many options?

I sure hope Ms. Fedor is smoking something good. NWA pilots wouldn't ask for their 2 month new hire to go in front of the 10 year guys at DAL.
Would they?

Anybody that knows anything about the Red-book/Green-book saga knows that anything is possible with the NWA pilot group.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL,
First off, I think this "unnamed source" is full of B.S. Just trying to stir up a $hit-$torm. The only way I can see a propasal for 3000 DAL pilots to be stapled if it was a counter to an equally ridiculous offer from the DAL side.

As far as retirements; they do have play with respect to career expections. Maybe a projected snapshot 10 years from now would help with what career expections look like.

I wouldn't be too quick to dis the NWA fleet. DAL has a lot of aircraft in the 757/767 category. Don't great me wrong--great aircraft, but I wouldn't say our entire seniority list is completely salivating over them as some DAL types would lead you to believe. Beyond that, DAL only has 8 (EIGHT) 777's with 8 (I think) on order. Compare that with 30 747's, 32 A-330's, and potentially 68 787's. They're all superior to all DAL aircraft with the exception of the 8 777's. I'll grant you the pay rates need to be fixed--and they will whether its via a merger or our next contract negotiations. Unfortunately, we sold out to save the retirement plan. The 68 DC-9's will be around until a 100 seat replacement is found. There is no way around it with the current scope--unless they start parking the E-175s/CRJ-900's (no chance). There is no reason to replace the paid for aircraft which have years of service left in them. It would cost $30-$40 per seat per segment more to replace them with new aircraft. It makes no sense. Why not wait until the next generation 100 seaters come to market before sinking the new capital, especially when what you have is working.

I too hope for a fair seniority integration. I wouldn't bite off on this unnamed source. If this whole merger all falls apart, who cares. Contract repair will come the next time around. Our pilot group is pissed, and those who will be left at that time will walk if our rates aren't on par with industry leaders.

Schwanker

Latest resources

Back