• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA, Delta pilot clash blocking merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that what you are hearing at HQ? Just curious where you are getting this vibe/info?

The closer I look at this the more I think this merger is not such a good idea for Delta guys. Too much risk for not enough reward. The better case scenario would be putting in a big order for more 777, 737 and an RJ replacment of some sort. Grow organically and raise the pay rates in 2009. Originally I thought it might not be a bad deal since NWA brings alot of retirements to the table. If Delta guys are relatively squished below alot of NWA guys that are below the guys who will retire in maybe five to ten more years then that one asset doesnt look so good. Flying a DC9 out of MSP or DTW looks pretty bad (no offense to those doing it now) compared to what even the new guys are getting at Delta.

It seems this merger stands to benefit the NWA group more than the Delta group. I'm sure they will dissagree but maybe both going it alone is the only way to truly find out.

If you step back and read what you wrote i think you might find it interesting. You say you want a fair deal right? You are saying you originally liked that the large amount of retirements at NWA could benefit you but when the deal is "mentioned" about making it fair for career expectations to the nwa guys and putting some NWA guys in front then suddenly its not fair?

I want a fair deal just as much as anyone but lets make it fair for everyone based on you current career expectations. IF they can work a deal out like that and your career expectations dont change much then that is the only "fair" way of doing it. IMHO However more than likely nothing we say on here will change anything.

Yup,...no bites here. They better sweeten' the pot.

No dog in this fight, but...

The pot is already considerably "sweeter" than anything you would see in your career without a merger, fella.

When the deal falls apart due to unreasonable demands by NWA zealots, I think you'll beg for the deal you're bashing now.

Last edited:
Date of hire, plus some fences for domiciles,equipment and seats. What's the problem?

Because of the massive retirements DAL experienced.
DOH would be significantly tipped in NWAs favor. BUT..when NWA top guys retire it could swing the other way.
They need to reach a deal on a list that takes everything into account...they are basically (I bet) using every method to sort the list...DOH...A/C expectations and some sort of ratio also, as DAL has 7k+ pilots and NWA has 4k+.

NO stapling of anyone...that crap won't fly. From either side.

Better yet, since the NWA guys think they are getting screwed, and us Delta guys KNOW we are getting screwed (by each others proposals)...why don't we all work together to kill this deal. Could it be that NWA guys see a huge improvement to their conrtact and a %30 pay raise on day one.

Come on guys, lets work together.....to end the deal. Were doin' just fine on our own, as are you guys at NWA.

Because of the massive retirements DAL experienced.
DOH would be significantly tipped in NWAs favor. BUT..when NWA top guys retire it could swing the other way.
They need to reach a deal on a list that takes everything into account...they are basically (I bet) using every method to sort the list...DOH...A/C expectations and some sort of ratio also, as DAL has 7k+ pilots and NWA has 4k+.

5000+ lets keep it real ;)

"[Delta has] scores of 40-year-old captains, guys hired after me who would become senior to me," said a Northwest pilot, who asked not to be named. "If we stay as we are, I am a widebody captain by the end of my career. But if we do it the way they want, I would only become a narrowbody captain because Delta pilots with less years of service would move ahead of me."

This quote is from The Street.com, reminds me of the USAir pilots all over again.

DOH is not in ALPA policy folks!

PS, I don't believe someone who could retire a widebody captain at NWA would be limited to a narrowody in a relative position merger. Delta is bringing large number of widebodies to the combined airline.

By LIZ FEDOR, Star Tribune

..."It is at risk by a handful, just a couple of renegade Northwest Airlines pilots

WTF. just a couple?

Yeah... Just like "a couple" pilots in favor of USAPA.

The "news source" must have been an ALPA spokesperson.:laugh:

Can someone answer a few ?'s for me since I'm relatively new to this whole industry?

1) How is it that people think that merging seniority lists based on DOH is fair since DOH between 2 different companies is arbitrary?

Also, I've heard this argument a few times here too...

Any newhires hired after the last major industry downturn (9/11) should be put after anyone that was hired prior, no matter where they stand on their current companies seniority list (percentage wise).

2) It seems to me that if you maintain your relative seniority +/- a % point or two, thats all you can ask for in a merger. How is this not the fairest way to do things? It seems to me there are a lot of money grubbing people out there who would like for the opposing company (and the merger) to pay them back for everything they lost in the downturn.

Can someone answer a few ?'s for me since I'm relatively new to this whole industry?

1) How is it that people think that merging seniority lists based on DOH is fair since DOH between 2 different companies is arbitrary?

Also, I've heard this argument a few times here too...

Any newhires hired after the last major industry downturn (9/11) should be put after anyone that was hired prior, no matter where they stand on their current companies seniority list (percentage wise).

2) It seems to me that if you maintain your relative seniority +/- a % point or two, thats all you can ask for in a merger. How is this not the fairest way to do things? It seems to me there are a lot of money grubbing people out there who would like for the opposing company (and the merger) to pay them back for everything they lost in the downturn.

When I was flying in the military I didn't know what the hell was going on in the airlines either.:beer:

Latest resources

Back