• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA, Delta pilot clash blocking merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So instead, you think it's fair to take someone who has say 20% seniority at one company and push them back to say 30% seniority at the merged company? How is that fair to them?

If your worried about younger guys getting ahead of older guys, then shouldn't you use DOB as a seniority list. Would that be fair? Obviously not.

In reality, there isn't a good solution to this whole problem.

Perhaps NWA guys can buy a few hundred of their top guys into early retirement and it will perhaps even the score a bit.

What I'm saying after 4 mergers is that all a pilot brings to a merger is his union membership and how long he has worked for the airline. That seems to be the only true measure of his or hers contribution to the merger. Anything else is pure speculation and or greed. ALPA should have had a method set in stone years ago.

What I'm saying after 4 mergers is that all a pilot brings to a merger is his union membership and how long he has worked for the airline. That seems to be the only true measure of his or hers contribution to the merger.

I would say the only thing a pilot brings to a merger is his current seat. Thats the only thing thats sure. The same amount of time could be worth a 757 captain at one airline, but only a 737 FO at another. Do you really think those two are equal?

Had it not been for the NWA '98 strike, UAL and DAL wouldn't have had the opportunity to get the big raises they did.

That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It certainly won't get you anything in your merger.

WHY not DOH??? Totally fair.... You can not help when you were born, when you could have gotten your pilot ratings

Somethings you can not CONTROL

DOH most fair !!! No dog in fight here

DOH is not fair. If I am 1/3 up a llist why should I not be approximatively 1/3 the way up a combined list.

Percentage is the only fair way to combine a list.

Thanks to the spineless members of the Delta MEC, the NWA pilots will be the only Delta pilots to have a defined benefit retirement plan in place. I hate to say it but the Delta pilots will get what they negotiate for, and based on the outcome of the past few years, they will get little.

Did Delta pilots take one year's annual salary, distributed to their 401Ks and IRAs over a 3 year period, in exchange for giving up their DB retirement?

What I'm saying after 4 mergers is that all a pilot brings to a merger is his union membership and how long he has worked for the airline. That seems to be the only true measure of his or hers contribution to the merger. Anything else is pure speculation and or greed. ALPA should have had a method set in stone years ago.

I happen to agree with you. Almost anyone junior to you doesn't. Its the ALPA way, and now that the big airlines are merging ALPA is proving that they don't have what it takes to govern with relevance.

ALPA's negligence (or opportunism) to establish and protect seniority may well get them a name as infamous as Lorenzo. There will be a follow on editions to "Flying the Line" and ALPA won't get to be the editor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back