• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL Arbitration hearing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RedRum, chill, It is not throwing up the white flag by saying I expect a minor seniority hit, that is my opinion. You do not know me and/or know what I did to get here, so until you have walked a mile in my shoes............... I do not think it is unreasonable to hope for a compromise and a negotiated solution, I have mentally prepared for a senority hit and this is exactly what DALPA has preposed, so anything better is a bonus, that doesn't mean I have to like it, I just have to live with it.

Relax, huh? Okay......Did the USAir East guys get close to DOH? No. They were given relative seniority, and if you were in the bottom 5%, you got the bottom 5% in the new company. That way, you stay at the same place you are---reserve, narrowbody, etc. Nobody really benefits, because you are at about the same spot as before. I am not taking away the fact that you have a great NRT hub, just like we are the largest carrier across the Atlantic. You have two great hubs with little LCC traffic (although, that is about to change at MSP with Southwest). We have the largest hub in the World in ATL, and twice the widebodies you do (unless you go Super Duper Premium...). You see? We both bring a lot, and what is truly fair is staying at about the same spot as before the merger. The reason for the bottom few hundred all NWA is because of the planes that are leaving the fleet. If we all kept the same planes and nothing changed, it would be easy. If someone is getting rid of planes (and we all know which ones), then that has to be taken into account.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gen

With all due respect, DAL is big in the Atlantic market from Pan Am, not from Delta. Delta snowballed PAA and assimilated the Atlantic operation while assigning the PAA pilots a seniority something like 1 for 11 until they got to zero and kept going so that Delta hired on top of the most junior PAA pilot. Certainly not fair or even remotely towards the middle as you suggested the kind DAL ALPA was/is.

We all know that PAA was smaller than DAL,...kind of leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

NWA might be a little bit smaller, but NWA is financially stronger making more profit from every dollar spent. We'll show yalls how,...just watch...

Here is part of the "conditions and restrictions" of the NWA proposed list. There is something interesting to note: There are 631 spots "reserved" for NWA pilots on the 787s, and yet there are amazingly NO spots reserved for our FIRM orders of additional 777s, which we will actually get next year (July now--6-8 confirmed from Boeing). So let me get this straight. The 787 aint even flown yet, and may take YEARS to get. We are getting more 777s, and we don't get credit.......HMMMMMMM.

And, are there really 415 Captain slots for 41 DC9s? Ok, 63 DC9s? Which is it? I guess I should ask when was this created? Jan 1st of 2008 (like the computer model), or June 1st, 2008????

B-747 Captain: 327 positions to the former Northwest pilots
ii. B-777 Captain: 280 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
iii. B-787 Captain: 315 positions to the former Northwest pilots
iv. A-330 Captain: 354 positions to the former Northwest pilots
v. B-767-400 Captain: 193 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
vi. B-767/757 Captain: 1814 positions; 1357 positions to the premerger
Delta pilots and 457 positions to the former Northwest pilots.
vii. B-737 Captain: 566 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
viii. A-320/319 Captain: 732 positions to the former Northwest pilots
ix. MD-88 and MD-90 Captain: 706 positions to the premerger Delta
pilots
x. DC-9 Captain: 415 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xi. B-747 First Officer: 293 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xii. B-777 First Officer: 281 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
xiii. B-787 First Officer: 316 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xiv. A-330 First Officer: 329 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xv. B-767-400 First Officer: 271 positions to the premerger Delta pilots

Where did our EXTRA 777 slots go??? We are getting them on FIRM order..... just like those phantom 787s...Boeing said we will supposedly get them in July of 09 now---6-8 of them, at 38 pilots per plane. Do the math please and tell me why there aren't extra slots allocated for that?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Gen

With all due respect, DAL is big in the Atlantic market from Pan Am, not from Delta. Delta snowballed PAA and assimilated the Atlantic operation while assigning the PAA pilots a seniority something like 1 for 11 until they got to zero and kept going so that Delta hired on top of the most junior PAA pilot. Certainly not fair or even remotely towards the middle as you suggested the kind DAL ALPA was/is.

We all know that PAA was smaller than DAL,...kind of leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

NWA might be a little bit smaller, but NWA is financially stronger making more profit from every dollar spent. We'll show yalls how,...just watch...

As far as what we did to the Pan Am pilots, well, it was a route aquistion and we bought some of their planes. We didn't merge totally with their company. It was an asset sale. We took some of their pilots along with them. Totally different than what is happening with us. I still fly with ex Pan Am pilots, and they are sort of bitter towards ALPA, but they say they can't really complain because a lot of them that stayed after the asset sales to DL and UAL lost their jobs eventually, and hit the street.

Also, did you know we now can overfly NRT? We do it everyday. We fly 777LRs to PVG and ICN. It will be nice to have your NRT hub, but not necessary to fly to Asia. A lot has changed since you started your NRT hub. The 777LR has changed the business, and the 787 will add to it, if we ever see them.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Both are nothing more than "Proposals" and from what the Panel said it doesnt look like either one will be used in its entirety. Just like the DAL side thought their side was "fair" our side thinks this is "fair". No point in getting worked up about it, it wont change anything.

At least in this way both sides get the benefit of the retirements. Whenever someone retires everyone moves up not just one side. Even though some NWA pilots that are more "senior" are above the senior DAL guys doesnt matter because both sides top positions are fenced ensuring that none of the senior guys at either side have to worry. By the time the fence goes down a large majority of the top of the list will be DAL pilots free to bid whatever they want.

Cheers :beer:

Here is part of the "conditions and restrictions" of the NWA proposed list. There is something interesting to note: There are 631 spots "reserved" for NWA pilots on the 787s, and yet there are amazingly NO spots reserved for our FIRM orders of additional 777s, which we will actually get next year (July now--6-8 confirmed from Boeing). So let me get this straight. The 787 aint even flown yet, and may take YEARS to get. We are getting more 777s, and we don't get credit.......HMMMMMMM.
And, are there really 415 Captain slots for 41 DC9s?ok, 63 DC9s? Which is it? I guess I should ask when was this created? Jan 1st of 2008 (like the computer model), or June 1st, 2008????

B-747 Captain: 327 positions to the former Northwest pilots
ii. B-777 Captain: 280 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
iii. B-787 Captain: 315 positions to the former Northwest pilots
iv. A-330 Captain: 354 positions to the former Northwest pilots
v. B-767-400 Captain: 193 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
vi. B-767/757 Captain: 1814 positions; 1357 positions to the premerger Delta pilots and 457 positions to the former Northwest pilots.
vii. B-737 Captain: 566 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
viii. A-320/319 Captain: 732 positions to the former Northwest pilots
ix. MD-88 and MD-90 Captain: 706 positions to the premerger Delta
pilots
x. DC-9 Captain: 415 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xi. B-747 First Officer: 293 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xii. B-777 First Officer: 281 positions to the premerger Delta pilots
xiii. B-787 First Officer: 316 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xiv. A-330 First Officer: 329 positions to the former Northwest pilots
xv. B-767-400 First Officer: 271 positions to the premerger Delta pilots

Where did our EXTRA 777 slots go??? We are getting them on FIRM order..... just like those phantom 787s...Boeing said we will supposedly get them in July of 09 now---6-8 of them, at 38 pilots per plane. Do the math please and tell me why there aren't extra slots allocated for that?

Bye Bye---General Lee

GL why didnt you post it all?

Last edited:
Both are nothing more than "Proposals" and from what the Panel said it doesnt look like either one will be used in its entirety. Just like the DAL side thought their side was "fair" our side thinks this is "fair". No point in getting worked up about it, it wont change anything.

At least in this way both sides get the benefit of the retirements. Whenever someone retires everyone moves up not just one side. Even though some NWA pilots that are more "senior" are above the senior DAL guys doesnt matter because both sides top positions are fenced ensuring that none of the senior guys at either side have to worry. By the time the fence goes down a large majority of the top of the list will be DAL pilots free to bid whatever they want.

Cheers :beer:

But, the important part is whether it is relative seniority with fences, or DOH. The Panel HAD to say we need to work this out, because that is really how they want it. They said it in the beginning too. Relative seniority with fences sounds great to me.

Bye Bye--General Lee

GL why didnt you post it all?

I said "here is part of the conditions and restrictions", and the rest can be posted by someone who wants to talk about the rest. I was focusing on the huge gap in your proposal, about the large amount of DC9 Captain positions (for 41 or 63 DC9s??), and the 631 787 slots that are mentioned, but lacking are the slots for the 777 that are firm orders and are coming. Any idea why they were left out? That seems pretty obvious.

Bye Bye--General Lee

From the SLI Proposal:

"2. The date of constructive notice was April 14, 2008"

There's that pesky phrase. My guess is that your 777 orders were made after this date.

Nu

Latest resources

Back