• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL Arbitration hearing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmm, you guys HAVE heard of that new fashioned thingy called a "computer", right?

I'm very sure that a device that can track 12000 pilot's schedules and keep them legal can be "programmed" for such a task.

A complex task, to be sure. Hard? Not at all. Once the methodology is worked out, the bookkeeping is a piece of cake.

Nu

Can you give me an example of any merger that has had a dynamic list? I am not familiar with one. Someone also stated on here that attrition itself has also never been taken into account for a merger of lists.

Can you give me an example of any merger that has had a dynamic list? I am not familiar with one. Someone also stated on here that attrition itself has also never been taken into account for a merger of lists.

Before 1903, could you give me an example of a powered, heavier-than-air flying machine?

New mergers cover new ground. But I understand you DAL guys are scared of new things....gasp, imagine using manuals NOT written by Boeing and ACARS delivering your weight/performance data....oh, the horror...Grog not understand!

Nu

Last edited:
Before 1903, could you give me an example of a powered, heavier-than-air flying machine?

New mergers cover new ground. But I understand you DAL guys are scared of new things....gasp, imagine using manuals NOT written by Boeing and ACARS delivering your weight/performance data....oh, the horror...Grog not understand!

Nu

Nu,

Get used to the Boeing manuals because that is what you are going to be using. ACARS weight and balance too. Is it true that you guys don't single engine taxi as a rule?

DAL737FO
flying 757/767

Nu,

Get used to the Boeing manuals because that is what you are going to be using. ACARS weight and balance too. Is it true that you guys don't single engine taxi as a rule?

DAL737FO
flying 757/767

I heard that DAL previously used their own manuals and procedures for fleet standardization similar to NWA but then switched to the various manufacturers procedures.

Single engine taxi at NWA is at Capt discretion depending on weight and other factors, (snow,ice).
Most pilots do SE taxi when possible.

Can you give me an example of any previous merger of two airlines with two so similarly matched pilot groups and operations on the scale of NWA and DAL? According to arguments made, the Nicolau award granted WB positions in excess of those held by the USA pilots as a form of accounting for attrition.

Using examples of much more asymmetric pilot groups arbitrations as the precedent for this SLI is essentially a "land grab". As has been observed in the hearings regarding the DAL proposal "every condition...was designed to benefit DAL at the detriment of NWA Pilots"

Who knows what is in the mind of the arbitrators, but they don't appear to be biting, and hopefully productive negotiations are ensuing and we can get a realistic negotiated list. There are a lot of precedents in this merger - perhaps a negotiated list where one group does not feel thoroughly taken advantage of by the other might be one of them?

Last edited:
Hmmm, you guys HAVE heard of that new fashioned thingy called a "computer", right?
They've heard of them.....they just can't use one for booking a jumpseat.....not many payphones at Hartsfield-Jackson anymore....there will be long lines at the few remaining to get that J/S to DTW & MSP after the 767's/MD90's get sent there. Maybe they've heard of cellphones...don't know.

Don't Think So

Nu,

DAL737FO
flying 757/767
Those Boeing manuals aren't going to work too well for us Bus drivers. I bet DAL continues to use the NWA manuals for the foreseeable future.;)

It's not that complicated. What it would do is allow NWA guys to advance with NWA attrition and DAL guys advance with DAL attrition. You don't like it as NWA has greater and sooner attrition than DAL.
I agree that a dynamic list isn't going to happen. I have talked to the MEC and it is a nightmare to administer....eg,
Today a AE comes out and I am senior to you and before the close of the AE there are a # of retirements we now (due to the dynamic list) are in different seniority places and you are senior. Which number do you look at? The day the AE came out or the day it closes?
There are many different senarios just like this that make a dynamic list an impossibility.

Very simple. Go to our ape system. Monthly awards/displacements with an effective date 4 1/2 months out.

I agree that a dynamic list isn't going to happen. I have talked to the MEC and it is a nightmare to administer....eg,
Today a AE comes out and I am senior to you and before the close of the AE there are a # of retirements we now (due to the dynamic list) are in different seniority places and you are senior. Which number do you look at? The day the AE came out or the day it closes?
There are many different senarios just like this that make a dynamic list an impossibility.

Will not happen. DAL management will not agree to that system, that is why it was not adopted in the JPWA.

Latest resources

Back