• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL Arbitration hearing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Odd...we heard that the MX management types mentioned that the 90s were going away. Something about there's no commonality with the rest of the fleet (like NWAs MD80 fleet), and that there are reasonably priced Airbus 320s that could be used to replace them.

Given a choice of adding a defunct airplane to an already small fleet (16), or adding more 320s to an already large fleet, I could see the -90s getting parked in exchange for some 320s, especiallly if Airbus is trying to get more 330 orders, which we all know RA loves.

But don't worry, I'm sure you can make some good points at the "replacement aircraft" arbitration.

Nu

No commonality? With NWA's MD80 fleet? Huh? What does your computer model say about it? I think it still thinks you have ex Republic MD80s, NWA 727s and DC10s, and that your SLI should show that. I am glad you can see the MD90s getting parked, when you just lost some A319s and 757s (some to Fedex). Did you see that coming? I thought you said the 757s were going to the desert and would come back in better times? And were the MX types you talked about the same guys that stated on the online deal that the 742s were going away? He said it, you know (TC are his initials). He will be incharge of MX after the merger, you know....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I guess you think AWA was awarded an absolute windfall by Nicelau?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Just like everyone else. Why were the AWA guys so happy and the USAir guys so upset? I guess one side must have got a better deal. And not to mention, Easties may not even had jobs had it not been for this merger. This merger is of equals, more similar demographics and fleets. If Nicelau was a lopsided award in that case, it would be even worse in ours.

Exactly. After one list retires the other one kicks in. Do you want to see your guys stagnate as our guys move up. You cannot have it one way. It would have to work for both sides. Ala it ain't gonna happen as it is too complicated.

It's not that complicated. What it would do is allow NWA guys to advance with NWA attrition and DAL guys advance with DAL attrition. You don't like it as NWA has greater and sooner attrition than DAL.

Just like everyone else. Why were the AWA guys so happy and the USAir guys so upset? I guess one side must have got a better deal. And not to mention, Easties may not even had jobs had it not been for this merger. This merger is of equals, more similar demographics and fleets. If Nicelau was a lopsided award in that case, it would be even worse in ours.

Yes, but the Easties got the top 500 spots, since they had something "different" they brought to the table. The only thing I see as "different" with us is the issue of planes coming or going into our combined fleet. All of that will be presented confidentially with our business plan I would assume. I thought it was fair, even with the top 500 going to Easties since they had something completely different than AWA. If you were in the bottom 25% of one of the seperate companies, you would end up close to the bottom 25% of the new company. Our list was essentially the same, except for the planes leaving the fleet were reflected in the bottom 400 pilots being all NWA.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
It's not that complicated. What it would do is allow NWA guys to advance with NWA attrition and DAL guys advance with DAL attrition. You don't like it as NWA has greater and sooner attrition than DAL.

Your A320FO on the stand a couple days ago admitted that attrition has NEVER been used in any airline seniority list integration. What you thought was "rude" questioning on the stand, actually brought out the correct answer.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I would have no problem with a dynamic list. You guys have more retirements short term, we have more long term. Between now and when I retire, Delta has far more retirements. I think a dynamic list would help me more than hurt me.

I just happen to think a dynamic list would be too hard to administer. I think there would be an argument on how much people move up, or some other problem like that, every time someone retired.

Last edited:
Like I said too complicated, and there is no way that a dynamic list could happen and be enforced for 40 years. (Career term of the youngest pilot)

Like I said too complicated, and there is no way that a dynamic list could happen and be enforced for 40 years. (Career term of the youngest pilot)

Hmmm, you guys HAVE heard of that new fashioned thingy called a "computer", right?

I'm very sure that a device that can track 12000 pilot's schedules and keep them legal can be "programmed" for such a task.

A complex task, to be sure. Hard? Not at all. Once the methodology is worked out, the bookkeeping is a piece of cake.

Nu

Latest resources

Back