Nov 1st NJA? whats up???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nordo,

I do not claim to have any better of a crystal ball than you do, but in the last hiring cycle where the airlines were hiring in significant numbers the Netjet's pilots were being snapped up by the majors faster than we could train new pilots.

Not sure why you think it would be any different these days.

Hey, you may be right. But just curious as to what's so different this time that you believe a Netjet's pilot being hired bythe majors will be the exception rather than the rule?

If you're languishing in some charter 135/and or some other aviation related, or non related position and can't stand it. Then I guess coming back makes sense. Age, I guess would be another factor. Say, being under or over 40.

That's me. I left a good 135 job for a better job at Netjets in '08 at the age of 48. Furloughed at 49, found an "aviation related" job that only pays about .75 of what NJ was. I'm still there, and my wife and I will continue to struggle unless I can find an airline job (not likely at my age, but I have all my apps in and hope that I hit the lotto), another 135 gig (remotely possible, but not a lot happening in Michigan), or Netjets recalls me (probably my best hope, but I'm not holding my breath).

I know it won't be the same as what I left, but if the $$ and benefits are better than what I have now, I really don't have a choice but to take it and try and get some cushion built up going into retirement. I know upgrade is never going to happen.. been PIC, done that, don't care if I do it again... but that is the least of my concerns.

I appreciate everything the pilots who are still there are doing to keep it a good place to work. Even with all of it's issues, for many of us, it still would be a better place to be.

Nordo,

I do not claim to have any better of a crystal ball than you do, but in the last hiring cycle where the airlines were hiring in significant numbers the Netjet's pilots were being snapped up by the majors faster than we could train new pilots.

Not sure why you think it would be any different these days.

Hey, you may be right. But just curious as to what's so different this time that you believe a Netjet's pilot being hired bythe majors will be the exception rather than the rule?

Hopefully it gets that good. I'd rather be a pic121, than a sic135. To start I think you'll see the cream off the top; 121 check airman, military, pic 121 large transport, pic 121. Then hopefully down the latter it goes. The front of the wave wont be stocked with NJ pilots. This assumes you want to go to a major.

Well, I dont know that it'll be like the last time. Probably not. But I also cant say we wont lose a great many pilots either.

NJA has a great many pilots with 121 PIC, or 121 check airman experience, as well as a ton of ex-military guys with PIC time in heavy equipment, many of whom are in the age range to make them attractive to the majors.

The only thing for certain is that it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Well, I dont know that it'll be like the last time. Probably not. But I also cant say we wont lose a great many pilots either.

NJA has a great many pilots with 121 PIC, or 121 check airman experience, as well as a ton of ex-military guys with PIC time in heavy equipment, many of whom are in the age range to make them attractive to the majors.

The only thing for certain is that it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

And I know a lot of sic's who fell for the santulli dream and left their 121 world before they acquired any significant pic time.

The only issue could be is if the regionals start to falter from staffing shortages. If that happens the majors may turn to Flex/options/NJA for pilots to minimize disruption to the mainline. Time will tell.

Latest resources

Back