• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nov 1st NJA? whats up???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think most would be surprised how little inflation has impacted things......

Your kidding right? I'm not sure what country you live in, but here in the United States where I'm from inflationary cost of living increases have significantly eroded purchasing power.

At my place of employment, the fact I now earn LESS than I did back in 1998 and am now as much as 60% behind my peers with similar training, experience, and qualifications exacerbates the problem.

if it says ".gov" in the web address.....

its never gonna tell you things are bad....

use a real calculator and you'll see that $95k isnt worth poop.

That was the point I was trying to illustrate.

We are earning LESS than we were 15 years ago.....

Which happens to be as much as 60% behind our peers with similar training, experience, and qualifications performing significantly less work for less profitable companies...

Last edited:
Your kidding right? I'm not sure what country you live in, but here in the United States where I'm from inflationary cost of living increases have significantly eroded purchasing power.

At my place of employment, the fact I now earn LESS than I did back in 1998 and am now as much as 60% behind my peers with similar training, experience, and qualifications exacerbates the problem.

I think you took the comment a bit out of context because in the next sentence I said..."However, it still seems prices have gone up many essentials which squeezes everyone."

I could have articulated better, the point was that inflation hasn't been at the elevated levels of the 70's & 80's and the impact on wages hasn't been as great. As an example, if you were making $80K in 1975, you would have had to make $195K in 1990, or $115K more during the 15 year period. The difference during the 15 years 1998 to 2013, was only $35K.

Which happens to be as much as 60% behind our peers with similar training, experience, and qualifications performing significantly less work for less profitable companies...

You would think the attrition would be at least 50%/year for the past several years. How many have actually left to get the immediate 120% pay raise and reduction in work? That's the only thing the emt will care about.

Would be interested in seeing the result by using a "real calculator".

If you're 60% behind your peers with similar backgrounds working at inferior companies, something else is wrong. You really should get a different position.

For those interested, here are the inflation rates going back to 1872...comparable inflation rates have been relatively docile for the past 15 years as the chart shows-

http://www.multpl.com/inflation/table

I think the news was that NJA was providing FSI instructors 135 initials so they would be in compliance with the FAA req. As rumors go, somebody mentioned NJA ramping up for classes and it was assumed to be for recalls........guess again.

If you're languishing in some charter 135/and or some other aviation related, or non related position and can't stand it. Then I guess coming back makes sense. Age, I guess would be another factor. Say, being under or over 40. Ex military with a retirement.

Pay and benefits may be better than what you have now. You will come back to a terminal SIC position. If that's better, then I guess it is. If you are even contemplating making a play for the major airlines, and you are at a 121. You should bypass and stay put. NJ pilots are not the cream of crop for the majors, not that there hasn't been some success stories. Chances are better from a 121 to a major, especially if you can upgrade.

You will never upgrade at NJ in time to make yourself more marketable for this next hiring wave. And it wont be NJ pilots who get picked up by the majors in any significant numbers. There will be a few, but not many in comparison to 121 operators. So, add that to the non-movement of the NJ seniority list.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back