Nov 1st NJA? whats up???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wrong I have 4 years of this union not representing us. You want the list

As a guy that was furloughed for 5 years.....you do realize that when you were furloughed, you were fired. You don't work for NetJets anymore. They may have to offer you a job again before they can hire anyone else, but you are not currently an employee. Other than recall rights, the company owes you nothing.

Same with the union. You are not an active member and are not paying dues. Other than enforcing your recall rights and any provisions of the contract that apply to furloughees, the union owes you nothing too. Bad "brotherhood" I know, but the truth. The union has an obligation to do their best for the active members and protect them before any obligation to furloughed employees. Hopefully your union will realize that they are creating bad blood when people are recalled and active again and try to do right by the furloughees.

Sucks but that's the way it is. I lived with it for 5 years so I feel your pain.

It's been made abundantly clear that we aren't employed by NJ anymore. At every opportunity we've been reminded. Every time NJ had a chance to show a little class, they didn't. My perspective flying outside of NJ has shown that you're not as highly regarded as you may think. You do know that don't you? The attrition rate will climb, moral will continue to decline, and furloughed guys will come back for nothing more than vesting and a type. NJ will be used like a two bit whore and left to rebuild with a new lawyer at the helm. The disturbing part is that the union seems to be helping create this scenario. Inclusion of your furloughed "brothers" would be free. Yet you choose not to. That's the real head scratcher here.

thanks for the kind words and thinking of us!

it would be nice for the union to say hello a bit more often.

If only there was a place to post such a thought so that other pilots that are part of the union could see it. A message board of sorts...........

What would you call it?

It's been made abundantly clear that we aren't employed by NJ anymore. At every opportunity we've been reminded. Every time NJ had a chance to show a little class, they didn't. My perspective flying outside of NJ has shown that you're not as highly regarded as you may think. You do know that don't you? The attrition rate will climb, moral will continue to decline, and furloughed guys will come back for nothing more than vesting and a type. NJ will be used like a two bit whore and left to rebuild with a new lawyer at the helm. The disturbing part is that the union seems to be helping create this scenario. Inclusion of your furloughed "brothers" would be free. Yet you choose not to. That's the real head scratcher here.

I for one will have no qualms about coming back for currency and flooding the market with apps like everyone else. After spending the last 4 years working towards getting my contractors license, I am now able to join the circus again. There is no way in hell I'm going back to the regionals for currency, so now I wait.

As a guy that was furloughed for 5 years.....you do realize that when you were furloughed, you were fired. You don't work for NetJets anymore. They may have to offer you a job again before they can hire anyone else, but you are not currently an employee. Other than recall rights, the company owes you nothing.

Same with the union. You are not an active member and are not paying dues. Other than enforcing your recall rights and any provisions of the contract that apply to furloughees, the union owes you nothing too. Bad "brotherhood" I know, but the truth. The union has an obligation to do their best for the active members and protect them before any obligation to furloughed employees. Hopefully your union will realize that they are creating bad blood when people are recalled and active again and try to do right by the furloughees.

Sucks but that's the way it is. I lived with it for 5 years so I feel your pain.

I agree with all that you said by the way that might surprise you a bit. However the part of me being fired and no longer an employee I disagree with. The reason is I cannot touch my 401 becUse the company still classifies us as. Current employees. As far as going back I don't know I hope not. However the prospect of getting a type might be enough. As for the union your right they don't owe us anything. Just if I go back when the brotherhood talk starts I hope they choke on it and I will remind them every second I get. They do not owe me anything and I don't owe them one dame thing either apon return.

Please don't judge the views of the active pilot group by what is printed in -- or omitted from -- those publications. Quite a lot of us think about you guys every tour. One fairly senior guy was talking with me today, and said that he thinks people are going to bail left and right to the major airlines as the quality of life degrades and the negotiations drag on. He said, and I quote, "We're going to lose some great people, and that's after we already lost 495 of our best."

I'd be very surprised if any of us is interested in degrading anyone's contractual rights. We're looking to improve the whole package for all of us, you included, into a mature contract. I have no idea how long it will take, but I won't vote "yes" until it's done right.

I concur with CA1900. We think about our furloughed men and women quite a bit and are constantly saying, "we need you all back." We are being worked to the bone and on barebones. We are starting to see an exodus of both sic and pics. Three went to allegiant air and two others I know just left for the majors. These are people that I know of, I would bet there are more and many more to follow. Hang in there...

Last edited:
The message board exclusion is dumb. I don't know anyone who agrees with it.

But that and every other mistake if reversed ... I am not sure it changes the reality of the situation ... being furloughed.

It does not seem probable a new TA would be negotiated or voted on before recalls need to happen... but even if it were ... the money saved by selling your seniority rights would amount to $2K in salary per current active guy... or $20K per airplane for the company.

I don't see a real incentive. I see a false incentive to create disunity -- so maybe the company would run with it for that purpose.

But no, I wouldn't sell you out for $2k per year. One of you was my sunday school department head at church... whose home I have been at for Christmas.

I know it feels bad to be unemployed or furloughed. I have been and I wouldn't do to you what you seem to think I would.

I flew the X for my three years at NetJets. Every captain I flew with was competent and I liked the vast majority of them just fine. I have a a hard time imagining any of those guys or girls I flew with during my time at netJets selling us out. I believe we will be recalled when management thinks it makes business sense to do so and not a day before. It's that simple.

You will not be sold out. But keep in mind that the current situation is out of our hands as union members or as an organization until certain triggers fall in place. What can more direct contact provide other than to say we're thinking of you?

The union has absolutely no say in how the company staffs the fleets, other than to enforce the minimum pilot per jet ratio-an already ridiculously low number, by the way. I can tell you it would be difficult to believe we have not exceeded the eleven day limit with sell offs this quarter.

That said, the staffing plan presented to the boss has yet to be announced, and I bet an announcement will coincide with the need to recall due to said sell offs. A turning point is in the wind.

For those insinuating recalled pilots would turn into management stooges, what purpose would that serve? We did nothing to cause the furlough or to perpetuate it. Contrary to popular belief, extended days account for less than one percent of flying activity. Turning against your fellow pilots falls right into their hands, and hurts all of us. We will do what it takes to secure your return, and one heck of a bump for all. They can and will afford it.

Latest resources

Back