• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nov 1st NJA? whats up???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our attrition will not change with the majors hiring. Fractional pilots fly small planes not very often. Major computer filters favors mil and 121 (larger tonnage airframes and several hundred hours / year).

You say you're in your 30's. With more experinece you may learn not to make such baseless statements. In the first 3 years of this century well over 100 NJA (then EJA) pilots were eagerly hired by Delta, United, etc. Within months they were furloughed. That is another matter unrelated to their experience, however.

Flying small planes not very often? I blocked 160 hrs last quarter flying faster and higher than any airliner. I have also flown to hundreds more airports than any legacy pilot will ever see in their entire career. When we were still hiring, the retired legacy guys frequently commented on how much more challenging the fractional world is. Do you think that word has gone unoticed by their former collegues and bosses?

With the reduction in available military pilots retiring due to fewer being trained and longer commitments, I believe the fractional world will be a far riper orchard to pick from than what else is available. Or do you think a 2500 hour regional pilot with said "heavy" experience is a better choice? The dynamic has changed dramatically over the last 10 years.

I know, right? Averaging four hours a day is rough.

Subtract the travel days, tntv/hot spare, and days waiting at the service center and it's a different picture. Throw in 80 hours of duty in 7 days. Add missing/crappy meals and hotels, van/taxi issues, flip flop schedules, stock issues, and yes, it's brutal.

Yesterday for example. Liberia, Costa Rica to Guatemala City to Miami to Pontiac, MI. Only 6.3 block hours, with handlers and fuelers to deal with, customs, security, food restrictions, etc and 12+ hours of duty.

I've experienced military, airline, training, and fractional. No question what's more challenging.

You say you're in your 30's. With more experinece you may learn not to make such baseless statements. In the first 3 years of this century well over 100 NJA (then EJA) pilots were eagerly hired by Delta, United, etc. Within months they were furloughed. That is another matter unrelated to their experience, however.

Flying small planes not very often? I blocked 160 hrs last quarter flying faster and higher than any airliner. I have also flown to hundreds more airports than any legacy pilot will ever see in their entire career. When we were still hiring, the retired legacy guys frequently commented on how much more challenging the fractional world is. Do you think that word has gone unoticed by their former collegues and bosses?

With the reduction in available military pilots retiring due to fewer being trained and longer commitments, I believe the fractional world will be a far riper orchard to pick from than what else is available. Or do you think a 2500 hour regional pilot with said "heavy" experience is a better choice? The dynamic has changed dramatically over the last 10 years.

ugh...(head ach)

What I was trying to say...is that the current computer airline hiring model does not favor frational pilots. Their computer assigns "points" to applicants. Some of the categories include aircraft weight and breakdown of flight times with in the previous 12 months. There is no catagory for number of airports or cool factor of said biz jet. Only weight and time.

"back in my day" is irrelevent. Since 9/11 regioinal pilots have contuinally been flying up to 1,000 hrs / year in some airplanes holding up to 90 pax (thx alpa).

12,000 total is what many regional pilots have now...not 2,500 like 1990-whatever. AA received 4,000 aps by qualified pilots the first 24 hours they opened. And they are only hiring 15 / month. Delta?...I heard has like 20,000 aps on file.

I think all frac pilots are awesome. What we do is amazing. I am just stating the fact that the airline hiring COMPUTER doesn't feel the same way.

Again if I'm wrong..than our attrition will increase. My guess from talking to many is that it will not. Most everyone I have talked to want our next TA to count and help cement NJA into a true career. By the way, Spirit makes more than us...something to think about

In summery I know our job is really hard and I hope we get a new TA that benefits everyone. Having said that, most I pilots I talk too are just comfortable enough not to leave and those that do want to leave have a tough job market to fight through.

Subtract the travel days, tntv/hot spare, and days waiting at the service center and it's a different picture. Throw in 80 hours of duty in 7 days. Add missing/crappy meals and hotels, van/taxi issues, flip flop schedules, stock issues, and yes, it's brutal.

Yesterday for example. Liberia, Costa Rica to Guatemala City to Miami to Pontiac, MI. Only 6.3 block hours, with handlers and fuelers to deal with, customs, security, food restrictions, etc and 12+ hours of duty.

I've experienced military, airline, training, and fractional. No question what's more challenging.

Wow, hopefully you weren't doing that at FL430, as we know that's more difficult to pull off than in an airliner at FL380.

I kinda have to agree with FrontierFan.... It's an HR and computer based world of airline hiring

I know NJA guys have gone to Legacies, but it's a very small ratio compared to other sectors of the industry. And everyone and their mother is applying to anything that moves... There will be attrition, but NJA guys are not gonna be the cream of the crop or on a any type of free ride to a Legacy interview. Thousands and thousands of equally qualified FO's out there.

Latest resources

Back