Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Notes on Atkin's visit to ASA crew lounge...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Atkins: <<It was put out there that what if that (ie: paycuts) is not acceptable to our pilot group what would happen? "ASA would shrink" >>

This means whipsaw.

How else would a CEO so confidently say he would reduce service of his own company?!!

That would be like McDonald's CEO saying to his burger-flippers "if you don't take a paycut, we're gonna grill fewer hamburgers and refer customers to Wendy's"

Only the market determines demand, and the resulting growth/shrinkage, of a company. But a CEO who plans to grow/shrink divisions of his own company, independent of market demand, clearly has the intention of playing one division off of the other.

Last edited:
Ganja60Heavy said:
Atkins: <<It was put out there that what if that (ie: paycuts) is not acceptable to our pilot group what would happen? "ASA would shrink" >>

This means whipsaw.

How else would a CEO so confidently say he would reduce service of his own company?!!

That would be like McDonald's CEO saying to his burger-flippers "if you don't take a paycut, we're gonna grill fewer hamburgers and refer customers to Wendy's"

Only the market determines demand, and the resulting growth/shrinkage, of a company. But a CEO who plans to grow/shrink divisions of his own company, independent of market demand, clearly has the intention of playing one division off of the other.

Thankyou. Thankyou very much!!

These little get togethers are for one purpose. Plant the seeds of doubt in the minds of the pilots that just maybe;

our 70 seat rates are too high.

we need to freeze the pay rates across the board.

scheduling changes are not appropriate at this time.

We need to compete with Mesa.

In general you guys need to accept a concessionary contract.

Next in the mgmt game plan will be twofold.

1. You will see this line of concessionary reasoning repeated in company postings, FLICA and by the CP's. Suttle reinforcement.

2. A few more mgmt changes in addition to announcements about up and coming operational improvements. No specific dates when anything will happen but just more "good" stuff to look forward to.

I know. I'm just an angry prick.

atrdriver said:
Yeah, that'd work. Then you would sue when you needed medical assistance, or legal assistance, and it was denied to you because you never wanted to pay for yourself.

Actually I wouldn't. I would be gambling and if I lost then its my fault. If I won however then I didnt just blow a careers worth of 2% of my paycheck on nothing. The union however simply walks into class and doesn't give you the choice of joining. Its pay dues or else. If they were really confident in themselves they would give the option of either joining or not. I wonder what it costs to just pay the "maintenance fees" for the contract.

Yo D' Angelo,

The union is more than just the group you pay dues to. They have a vast amount of resources that can help you if your career is ever in jeopardy.

ALPA medical staff helped me with an issue that could have grounded me had I not gotten the proper paperwork to my Doc. I used to think it was the most expensive magazine subscription, but my mind has changed.

Ganja60Heavy said:

This means whipsaw.

ASA would shrink, but SKYW Inc. would not. The 700 rates at ASA will come down or Jerry and the boys are going to slowly shift CR7 flying to Skywest Airlines.

Atkin isn't trying to scare you by saying this. It makes sense from his standpoint. He is suppose to grow the parent company. If he can't do that with the 700 at ASA he will grow Skywest's 700 fleet. (Save it, General Lee...I agree with you!) Jerry doesn't care what uniform you or I wear. Hell, he doesn't even keep track of any cost or operational stuff day-to-day. He's strategic, and is honestly telling you how he sees it. You guy's screaming "burn the house down" are wasting your breath. Allowing ASA to fly the 700 at a rate that can't attract new flying is something JA won't agree to. That's burning the house down from his perspective.

Skywest and ASA pilot's must merge if either of us want some control over our collective future.

Last edited:
Illinois said:
ASA would shrink, but SKYW Inc. would not. The 700 rates at ASA will come down or Jerry and the boys are going to slowly shift CR7 flying to Skywest Airlines.

Atkin isn't trying to scare you by saying this. It makes sense from his standpoint. He is suppose to grow the parent company. If he can't do that with the 700 at ASA he will grow Skywest's 700 fleet. (Save it, General Lee...I agree with you!) Jerry doesn't care what uniform you or I wear. Hell, he doesn't even keep track of any cost or operational stuff day-to-day. He's strategic, and is honestly telling you how he sees it. You guy's screaming "burn the house down" are wasting your breath. Allowing ASA to fly the 700 at a rate that can't attract new flying is something JA won't agree to. That's burning the house down from his perspective.

Skywest and ASA pilot's must merge if either of us want some countrol over our collective future.

Unfortunately, I think that is dead on! And yes....that is a whipsaw, Jerry. On the one hand, I don't want to earn less than the 39/hr I earn now ---- and I certainly can't afford to. I most certainly believe the job is worth more in a fair world. But, this is not a fair world. What gets me are the many very senior pilots I fly with and talk to. THeir position, and rightfully so, is that 'forget the growth. Who needs it. Keep your growth, I'll keep my money.' That is great for them. But, for me, more airplanes means a chance to move to the left seat, which is worth about $20,000/year, whereas a $1-$2/hr raise as an FO means another $1,000-2,000/year. So, no, I dont want to stagnate, and I dont think many line-holding Capts can claim they felt the same when they were FO's. Many of you upgraded in 1-2 years, so it is unfair to tell 4-5 year FO's that we shouldnt want the growth, but I hear it all the time. "Who needs growth, lets keep what we got, let 'em take our planes!" Don't peg me as a company-man, kool-aid drinker. I am not. I am willing to walk away from this job if we do not improve our contract. I'll be walking with the rest of you, I support my CNC, and want what is best for the whole group. I'm just giving you another view to consider. We need to remember, we all want different things. I want the senior guys capped out to get a raise, but it won't hurt them if we lose a dozen or so 700's. They will still be top-end Captains. I want a fair contract, that allows us to grow so I can earn 40% more than I do now.

79%N1 said:
I want a fair contract, that allows us to grow so I can earn 40% more than I do now.

"Fair"? This is business. JA cares about only 1 thing....profit. NOT fairness, nor anything else.

People seem surprised "hey, we're making a profit and they still want us to take paycuts."

That's not how it works.

The plantation owners did NOT say "It's not fair we chain these slaves up and work 'em for free while we make a profit....let's just let 'em go free"

Nope.

They will cut our pay to ZERO if we let them.

It's about who's willing to work for what money. It's about fools believing what liars promise (ie: Comair's "pay freeze for growth").

Last edited:
I agree with all you said. Yes, they are earning profits. BUT, I am saying that I believe JA when he says ASA will not grow at our 700 cost. They can and will transfer them to SKYW, and save a few bucks, increase profits. That said, I for one, WILL NOT fly for Mesa-like slave wages! I WILL leave this profession. I was just saying, holding them to big pay raises, and losing what we have may not be the answer. I dont like it any more than anyone else.

Latest resources

Back