Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Notes on Atkin's visit to ASA crew lounge...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"GO AROUND"

Again?!?!?
First question was why we don't have a contract yet? He started that answer with "he fired Billable Bill Hires the company lawyer as of today." That he is still committed to getting the contract done as soon as possible and they are working to do things to do that.

Profit sharing was the next topic and why we still havn't gotten much info on how it relates to us. He said that he gave a presentation to Bob and Dave this morning and that it will be offered to the pilots just like every other group.

Biggest subject was the 70 seat paycut. He was upfront and said that it needs to come down to be competitive in bidding for flying with Mesa and CHQ. It doesn't have anything to do with any other carriers than the ones we compete against for flyingfor DAL. It was put out there that what if that is not acceptable to our pilot group what would happen? "ASA would shrink" was his answer.

Someone asked if the 5 70's that went to SKW was because of our cost and he said yes. He also said that he hears terms like whipsaw between ASA and SKW and that is not what he wants. He doesn't want the two pitted against each other and make things worse but those are the facts.

Someone asked about new bases or mini hubs for ASA like SKW has. He said not at this time for the forseeable future. SLC came up again and his answer changed from last and he said SLC base is at risk for ASA but still is dependent on if DAL grows or shrinks SLC.

Someone then asked what the contingency plan was if DAL goes under? He said we would repartner with whoever picks up ATL and do it quicker than you could believe. The 26 gates in ATL are a big plus in that situation. ATL is too big a hub and there will be others to partner with.

A couple guys said they would be happy with SKW contract. Jerry was very intrigued with this and put it back to them that we would tear up our contract and use the SKW contract? I said no, that there are work rules in their ontract that are nice but there are things we have they don't.

Big subject that came up was the pass benefits ordeal. Jerry said that it was done at the end of the deal with DAL for us and that they temporarily agreed that it would be status qou for three yrs or until they worked it out. He said DAL came back in negotiations and basically told him that they owned our seats and they would go to DAL employees first. I cant show you the middle finger he gave DAL but he said that was unacceptable and told them to F*ck off. So they are at a standstill and havn't talked in about 3 mnths.

Jerry was asked about merging the 2 pilot groups and he said he was not opposed to that if it was best for all involved including the company.

A lot was talked about with the lack of trust with managment. He said that needs to be fixed, is trying to do things to facilitate that and wants ASA to be a great place to work.

It was brought up that ASA has become a career airline and that managment has made it known that if you are here longer than 5 yrs you have been here to long. He said that is not what he wants and is no longer the attitude of ASA managment as far as he knows.

My overall impression is that he is good for ASA and he didn't just sit up there and tell us what we wanted to hear. Good or bad he answered all the questions and it is what it is. As for the contract, every time they got rid of Hires we have gotten a contract in a few months. He said the union and managment sent a message to the mediator to get more dates and get the contract done.

Take it for what its worth, if I know most on here you are too far gone with animosity for managment that it wont matter.

I for one am willing to put some trust in him and believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
GO AROUND said:
Someone asked if the 5 70's that went to SKW was because of our cost and he said yes. He also said that he hears terms like whipsaw between ASA and SKW and that is not what he wants. He doesn't want the two pitted against each other and make things worse but those are the facts.

What a load of crap. I hope you guys aren't gullable enough to believe this rhetoric. All documentation I have shows that ASA pilots' total compensation package is significantly less than the Skywest pilots'. This is a classic whipsaw. Don't fall for it.

Let me translate for those not fluent in the high art of corporate bullsht

GO AROUND said:
First question was why we don't have a contract yet? He started that answer with "he fired Billable Bill Hires the company lawyer as of today."

Bill is no longer the company lawyer but a high paid consultant to ASA.

Profit sharing was the next topic and why we still havn't gotten much info on how it relates to us. He said that he gave a presentation to Bob and Dave this morning and that it will be offered to the pilots just like every other group.

It will be offered just like the companys last contract proposal - completely worthless.

Biggest subject was the 70 seat paycut. He was upfront and said that it needs to come down to be competitive in bidding for flying with Mesa and CHQ. It doesn't have anything to do with any other carriers than the ones we compete against for flyingfor DAL. It was put out there that what if that is not acceptable to our pilot group what would happen? "ASA would shrink" was his answer.

Pay cut or else. More threats. ASA shrinks. The world is coming to an end.

I'm going to whipsaw you guys until you beg for mercy.

Someone asked about new bases or mini hubs for ASA like SKW has. He said not at this time for the forseeable future. SLC came up again and his answer changed from last and he said SLC base is at risk for ASA but still is dependent on if DAL grows or shrinks SLC.

As soon as Skywest can cover the flying and I figure out how to close SLC without paying you guys a dime I'll do it !

Someone then asked what the contingency plan was if DAL goes under? He said we would repartner with whoever picks up ATL and do it quicker than you could believe. The 26 gates in ATL are a big plus in that situation.

If Delta goes under I really don't need you guys and will do whatever is in my own best interests.

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
What a load of crap. I hope you guys aren't gullable enough to believe this rhetoric. All documentation I have shows that ASA pilots' total compensation package is significantly less than the Skywest pilots'. This is a classic whipsaw. Don't fall for it.

Where is all this documentation? I was looking for it and did it include the 100 instructor pilots in it. Total compensation or just 70 seat?

rjcap, you obviously are one that has nothing but animosity towards any managment at ASA. Nothing anybody says will make it better for you. You're like my 2 yr old. You want what you want when you want it, don't care if you are told what you don't want to hear and throw a tantrum because of it.

GO AROUND said:
Where is all this documentation? I was looking for it and did it include the 100 instructor pilots in it. Total compensation or just 70 seat?

rjcap, you obviously are one that has nothing but animosity towards any managment at ASA. Nothing anybody says will make it better for you. You're like my 2 yr old. You want what you want when you want it, don't care if you are told what you don't want to hear and throw a tantrum because of it.

Documentation of what ?????? Sober up.

I have heard plenty of mgmt promises over the years. I'll believe it when I see it. I will make one promise to you. If JA comes through and turns this place around I will be the first to admit I was wrong and you were right.

Until then, go have some more company kool aid.

GO AROUND said:

Call your status rep. He'll have the real info and not a bunch of management propoganda designed to intimidate you.

One more thing before I go.

I have been hear long enough to hear all the fancy promises going back to Skip then Brian and now Jerry. Nothing has changed. Just different people playing musical chairs in mgmt.

Its all the same song and dance.

Thanks for the recap. As always though, actions speak louder than words. I've been willing to give him a chance, but so far he's burned through 6 months with not much to show for it.

GO AROUND said:

The reason he thinks that is because these are the same answers we heard from G& J, then skip, then bryan, now geriatric... I just do not listen nor care what he says anymore...take my planes... take my job.. we are all doomed... blah blah blah

"Someone then asked what the contingency plan was if DAL goes under? He said we would repartner with whoever picks up ATL and do it quicker than you could believe. The 26 gates in ATL are a big plus in that situation. ATL is too big a hub and there will be others to partner with."

Lots of luck here. Riiiiight. How many airlines out there could fill in that much gate space (what Delta is doing now in ATL) in a short amount of time? Most Majors out there have been hurting lately thanks to high fuel, and don't have a lot of extra cash to go buy up gates or start new operations. Southwest maybe? They don't want feed. Nope. How about Jetblue? They have never used feed either, and we know what Airtran did with their RJs. Yup, ATL would go down the krapper, and your RJs would too. So, in reality, you had better hope we keep our scope, or we all may be out of a job. Amazing.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back