• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you substitute Indians and Chinese for Mesa or Chautauqua you will get the same lame ole' post(s) thats on FI.com. Just trying to prove a point, not attacking Indians and Chinese directly. They do whats available and handed to them, and actually make of pretty well with it. Even if they are worked hard.

Everything is outsourced nowadays and it will continue to be. There is no stopping it. UPS actually is taking very good advantage of it, as they are the outsourcers of alot of stuff.

P1

Last edited:

Is it not the truth? I'm sure if you go to Dellanswerdesksinfo.com or Computerprogrammerinfo.com, there somebody crying out holy hel.l about the bottom-feeding regional Indian/Chinese worker.

I understand that thats how US business and business in general is run, its almost always going to the lowest bidder. Thats why I don't get too wrapped up about things. I know that there is a human factor there, with families being affected and so on. But I truly don't think the CEOs or CFOs care as has been shown in the past and modern day. The Rich get richer and well you know the rest.

Isn't that how the US Military works? The gun you are shooting is in your hands because it was the lowest cost to them, not anything else.

Last edited:
I have thought that the regionals might start hurting for qualified pilots pretty soon. Consider the facts:

1. Fractionals hiring like mad
2. Majors starting to hire again
3. Regional pay and QOL never quite finding the rock bottom
4. VLJs coming on line

There are lots of places for experienced pilots to go and not quite as many eager young pups willing to be worked like dogs for peanuts (to mix a metaphor).

Before Skywest quashed ASA's growth, hiring minimums were down to 600-1. From what I heard, quite a few captains became de facto CFIs.
I agree with you blueridge. And contrary to popular belief, I think Yip is right.
It's all cyclical, hiring booms, real estate prices fluctuating, interest rates rising and falling, etc... Net jets is planning on hiring 500 pilots per year for the next few years. UPS, fedex, and majors are hiring. I've been in the industry for 10 years and the hiring boom is on the rise. Thank God. Get your resumes out there and send them to everyone. I just got hired at nja and
I've met a few guys that have left the majors to work with us and I've questioned their move. They all tell me that the upgrade time is too long and
there is no stability. Hopefully, with all the hiring that is going on, things will get better for all of us.

There are too many pilots out there. Otherwise we would be making more than truck drivers.

Untill there are
(1) long term stability (ha) and
(2) realistic payscales (hahaha)
across the board it is too much of a crapshoot to base your future on aviation as a career!

End of discussion!

Last edited:
Just wait until you get married, have a family and try and make ends meet the way you intended to when those pathetic paychecks come rolling in.

I'm one of those doing flight training "post-911", and mommy and daddy ain't got nuthin to do with it. They haven't since I was 17 either, so I have no free couches to crash on (my friends are pricks too!).

Were you somehow unaware of the payscale at your airline when you signed? Are you aware there is a segment of aviation beyond 121 flying? Everybody was affected by 9/11, not just you. I was laid off after 4 weeks as an engineer in the aerospace industry. Turned out to be a great thing, but I didn't think so at time.

I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be a cake walk, but I am paying attention to what's going on and am going to pick, choose, and make life decisions (life having kids, buying boats, etc.) as necessary.

I may not know much about aviation, but I do know how to make it in life without help. Here's something I've learned - there's practially nothing out there that is a guaranteed stable, get rich kind of job. There's definitely not much out there that offers the above with the bonus of job satisfaction.

Last edited:
There are too many pilots out there. Otherwise we would be making more than truck drivers.

Untill there are
(1) long term stability (ha) and
(2) realistic payscales (hahaha)
across the board it is too much of a crapshoot to base your future on aviation as a career!

End of discussion!
I agree with you. I don't recommend getting into aviation to anyone. As a matter of fact, I speak at various schools on career day and when I tell those youngins about the average payscales from the majors to corporate, I have to pick up their faces off the floor. Most of the professors are floored and
amazed that most pilots starting out are below the poverty level.

But, for those of us who have invested years of our lives in aviation and love flying, we need to fight for our rights. We are responsible for more lives and real estate in any given day. We do deserve more. We need to make the public aware of how little we are paid and fight for what we deserve. We need to warn future aviators of the uphill battles they will encounter and the crappy pay they can look forward to for years to come. If they are warned, they may choose another path, hence less future pilots and less competition.
The less competition we have, the better things will be for all of us.

You know, good for you if you're content with your individual situation. I guess that if you can keep on getting the schedules you need, you got it made. Honestly, if you're content, all the power to you.

However, my argument is and was geared for that young pup that's just stepping into the game expecting the world of "Margaritas and Senoritas," as someone else quoted. That person who will fly for anybody at any price, as long as it's an airline job. The person who believes that the pain may only last for a couple of years. Since upgrade will follow shortly thereafter, as well as the money.

That may be true for some. It's also true that some may even get to a major before the average Joe. Then, you have those who are content with what they make because they make it work. But it's pretty clear that's simply not the norm. Especially when there's more than one mouth to feed.

My point is merely to try and educate the newcomers on the facts that they may face at a typical regional. To some it may matter. To some it may not, especially if their parent's bank accounts do the thinking for them. In any case, unless you're absolutely sure and willing to pay the price, my advice to the hopefuls is to choose other routes. Corporate, fractionals, or 135 until you're competitive for those positions. Or better yet, stay away completely if you can live without it.

In answer to your observation about my personal well being, I do just fine. Not because of aviation alone but because I'm blessed and fortunate enough to own businesses outside of aviation. So...no, I don't think I'm bitter. But if observing the downward trends that hurt my fellow pilots classify me as being "bitter" then I guess I'll proudly wear that hat.

You are a d0uche bag. You are unhappy with they way your career has turned out. Sorry for you, but what would compel you to try to disuade others who are not in the business yet and who still have dreams of flying? Everyone has their own experience and I am happy with mine as a lot of others are as well. The complainers have found this website though as a place to b!tch and the happy folks tend to stay away. Your attitude is similar to the @ss bag captain that talks down to his F/O's in the, "I've been flying this thing for "x" years and I know everything. Let me tell you how it is," tone of voice. The only thing you know is that you are unhappy with your life. Do yourself a favor and fix it. Otherwise don't rain on other people's dreams. It's a selfish way to make yourself feel better about yourself. Feel free to tell people what they can expect to make their first year and through their times at the regionals, but leave your opinion out of it!

Hey, i do remember reading about six months ago in AOPA that there has been a 60 decrease in people learning to fly post 911. I think what it is, mom and dad is telling there kiddies no way am i paying 50k plus so you can make 20K. And you know what?? who can blame them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back