• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All part of the growing pilot shortage which will lead to the pilot hiring boom of2007

There's also a hiring boom at a McDonalds near you...why aren't you mentioning this to everyone YIP? Chances are you'd start out with better pay and it's great job stability...

and by the way...it's not a "BOOM," it's a "SPLASH" as in a turd landing in the toilet

Sometimes I think I'm the only happy pilot out there. :)

reading this board will do that to you! you're not the only one, I like my job.

Last month I had 16 days off, this month I think 14, (which gives a 4 on 3 off type schedule for the most part) most months I credit 90+ hours which now on second year pay I'll make close to 40k not including per diem which is more than livable for me right now. Would I like more money? Yes don't we all. When I was sick on probation I NEVER was threatened when I called in sick, they just said "OK I hope you get better!" and that was that. When I went to a family funeral I got the trip off WITH pay no questions asked.

If your life is seriously as bad as you are making it out to be maybe you should quit? I purposely didn't accept a position at a company that was notorious for bending people over.[/quote]

You know, good for you if you're content with your individual situation. I guess that if you can keep on getting the schedules you need, you got it made. Honestly, if you're content, all the power to you.

However, my argument is and was geared for that young pup that's just stepping into the game expecting the world of "Margaritas and Senoritas," as someone else quoted. That person who will fly for anybody at any price, as long as it's an airline job. The person who believes that the pain may only last for a couple of years. Since upgrade will follow shortly thereafter, as well as the money.

That may be true for some. It's also true that some may even get to a major before the average Joe. Then, you have those who are content with what they make because they make it work. But it's pretty clear that's simply not the norm. Especially when there's more than one mouth to feed.

My point is merely to try and educate the newcomers on the facts that they may face at a typical regional. To some it may matter. To some it may not, especially if their parent's bank accounts do the thinking for them. In any case, unless you're absolutely sure and willing to pay the price, my advice to the hopefuls is to choose other routes. Corporate, fractionals, or 135 until you're competitive for those positions. Or better yet, stay away completely if you can live without it.

In answer to your observation about my personal well being, I do just fine. Not because of aviation alone but because I'm blessed and fortunate enough to own businesses outside of aviation. So...no, I don't think I'm bitter. But if observing the downward trends that hurt my fellow pilots classify me as being "bitter" then I guess I'll proudly wear that hat.

Last edited:
The Big Quitting Boom of 2007

With all the complaining out there, I predict a big quitting boom in 2007 (do so only if you are senior to me).

"Margaritas and Senioritas?" WTF, you really think nowadays it about that? If you became a pilot so you can impress women...and get hot stews. Ain't gonna happen, and its pretty sad really that somebody would need a "uniform" to get women. And if you do, you know what they say about the company you keep, I'm sure Paris Hilton would be pretty impressed that you are a pilot.

I've come to the conclusion that some people(pilots) will complain in whatever situation and wherever they are. JetBlue, UPS, SouthWest, Xjet, Continental, all pretty good places supposedly.

Its not only this industry thats taken a hit in the last few years. Look around. Tell me what industry has improved. Oh so, you wanna be computer (something or other) well, the bottom-feeding Indians have out-sourced you for 1/4 of the price, and now they are being out-sourced by the scum-bag Chinese for even less. The out-sourcers being out-sourced, sound familiar?

All about cost. If you can't see making it on 25K First year/ 40K Second Year. Do something else, PLEASE. It's not too late. Try Real Estate, see how good that goes and how hard you work. Become that Bus Driver you keep talking about that makes equal pay. Or work at McDonald's for a while.

Last edited:
I have thought that the regionals might start hurting for qualified pilots pretty soon. Consider the facts:

1. Fractionals hiring like mad
2. Majors starting to hire again
3. Regional pay and QOL never quite finding the rock bottom
4. VLJs coming on line

There are lots of places for experienced pilots to go and not quite as many eager young pups willing to be worked like dogs for peanuts (to mix a metaphor).

Before Skywest quashed ASA's growth, hiring minimums were down to 600-1. From what I heard, quite a few captains became de facto CFIs.

Please define what you mean by "never quite finding rock bottom."

A number of regional outfits spring to mind that I believe currently offer one or more of the following: FO pay of $15/flight hr or less with reserve pay of 60hrs/month, 1yr contracts requiring $7500 prepaid training bonds, straight out PFT, camping trips and plywood.

If that's not rock bottom then it must surely be only a knats c@ck width away from it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh so, you wanna be computer (something or other) well, the bottom-feeding Indians have out-sourced you for 1/4 of the price, and now they are being out-sourced by the scum-bag Chinese for even less.

Dude?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back