• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you even bother to read my post? Or did you read it and not understand it? I told him to keep his negative opinions about this industry to himself when speaking to gradeschoolers who are still considering flying as a career one day in the distant future. I am certainly an opinionated person and I don't mind letting you know my opinion of you isn't very flattering. Learn to read and we may be able to agree on some things.

Yea, I read it. You sound condescending and hypocritical in telling someone to keep their opinions to themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with explaining the negatives of a career to gradeschoolers. Are you type that discourages dodgeball because someone's feelings might get hurt? Schools shouldn't tippy toe over issues and live in a happy everything is bright world. I may have financially planned better had someone told me back in school that low pay/furlough was a very real risk in the airline industry. Or maybe would have chosen a different career that provided enough financial security where I could have flown just for fun. In too deep to give up the profession...for now.

Yea, I read it. You sound condescending and hypocritical in telling someone to keep their opinions to themselves. I don't think there is anything wrong with explaining the negatives of a career to gradeschoolers. Are you type that discourages dodgeball because someone's feelings might get hurt? Schools shouldn't tippy toe over issues and live in a happy everything is bright world. I may have financially planned better had someone told me back in school that low pay/furlough was a very real risk in the airline industry. Or maybe would have chosen a different career that provided enough financial security where I could have flown just for fun. In too deep to give up the profession...for now.

Go back to the dictionary and learn the difference between opinion and fact. Then re-read my post. Explaining first year pay and furlough is simply passing on factual data and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (if you had read my posts carefully you would have already understood this). However, that other fcknut was explaining that he was interjecting his opinion of said furlough and low pay and I think it is wrong to tell little kids that you are a pilot and you think it's a crappy job and that they should look for other careers. You are welcome to lay out the facts for people. I think it's commendable that you would want people to know the facts before they enter a big decision. However, these are kids and you have no right to tell them that you think they should dash all their dreams of flying because you think it's a crappy job. If they have all the facts and still go into this business, then let them formulate their own opinions of the job. I know I have and you have as has every other pilot out there. Kids look up to pilots as "special" people no matter how ridiculous that sounds to you now. I think if you look back, you probably felt the same way when you were a little kid. You have no business giving them your negative opinions. (Look up the definition of opinions before you answer me this time). Yes I can sound condescending here because I am trying to talk down to your level. That's what this board is for you
numbskull!

Go back to the dictionary and learn the difference between opinion and fact. Then re-read my post. Explaining first year pay and furlough is simply passing on factual data and I don't think there is anything wrong with that (if you had read my posts carefully you would have already understood this). However, that other fcknut was explaining that he was interjecting his opinion of said furlough and low pay and I think it is wrong to tell little kids that you are a pilot and you think it's a crappy job and that they should look for other careers. You are welcome to lay out the facts for people. I think it's commendable that you would want people to know the facts before they enter a big decision. However, these are kids and you have no right to tell them that you think they should dash all their dreams of flying because you think it's a crappy job. If they have all the facts and still go into this business, then let them formulate their own opinions of the job. I know I have and you have as has every other pilot out there. Kids look up to pilots as "special" people no matter how ridiculous that sounds to you now. I think if you look back, you probably felt the same way when you were a little kid. You have no business giving them your negative opinions. (Look up the definition of opinions before you answer me this time). Yes I can sound condescending here because I am trying to talk down to your level. That's what this board is for you
numbskull!

If I gave a positive opinion of the career to kids, I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue with that. Problem is you want only the Barney purple dinosaur world view and not the Jurassic Park version. Not only that, but you chide anyone for not agreeing with that point.

You really are hung up on this whole fact versus opinion thing. We might as well have robots teach our kids. Opinions from eduactors just like journalists are fine by me as long as one states it as such. If any school age kids are reading this, be very wary of an aviation career. I think there are better choices. Just my opinion.

The Regionals Have Just Started to Suck ?????????

I can only presume you mean the wages and not the working conditions. It's been awhile since guys flew 8-10 legs in a plane with no APU and no auto pilot (Metro).

Amen brother !!!!! The general theme with a lot of folks on this thread is that the regionals have gotten worse with time.

Yeah, it was much better back in the 80s when the "commuter" guys were flying Beech 99s, Metroliners, Otters, Shorts. No representation in most cases, same lousy schedules, (like you said) no APU's ( sitting in your car with the windows up in July simulates that treat real nicely) and no autopilots.

I once flew a weekend schedule with 14 legs in one day. The no autopilot thing was a blast when the weather was down on that pairing.

I might also add NO JETS, no glass, and, oh yeah, no quick upgrades as the explosive growth was yet to occur.

The "regionals" have always sucked to some degree. Difference is, the aircraft were turboprops in the early days, and 30 seats was a BIG airplane.

Last edited:
Hey, i do remember reading about six months ago in AOPA that there has been a 60 decrease in people learning to fly post 911. I think what it is, mom and dad is telling there kiddies no way am i paying 50k plus so you can make 20K. And you know what?? who can blame them.

If only you made just $20K your entire career, which is the way many of you make it sound. I know guys upgrading after 3 years, making $70K almost immediately, some pulling in $80K+ after just a few years as a captain ... at a regional. Most FO's I know are pulling in $40K+ their second and third year as an FO. Many of you make the salaries at regionals sound like they are ten times worse than they are. For comparison. The average salary being offered today, out of college, is $30-$40K, depending on career. Only engineers are getting higher offers, in the $50K range. The average salary, topped off, for someone with a college degree; $70K. These people outside of aviation pulling in these six figure salaries are just as rare as that FedEx or UPS captain, yet many of you make it sound like everybody outside of aviation is pulling in $300K, and living the good life. Well, if that is the case, and that is so easy, then why don't you leave, and go get that $300K/ year job outside of aviation. And don't tell me about your investment in this career. If everybody is making so much more outside of aviation, then you can easily make up for that "investment". "The overall average U.S. salary is $71,542."

I'll bet when yall are speaking at those career days, you don't mention making $80K as a regional captain, or the fact that major airline captains make over $100K, still. No, its all about FIRST YEAR pay of $20k, you tell everybody, which then makes it sound like you never make more than that.

Regional captains statistically are in the top percentage of income earners in this country. "U.S. workers in the 90th percentile of wage/salary earners—those making $80,000 per year." Some of you make what is considered to be good incomes, seem like poverty. "The top 10 percent of earners-a category that includes people making $80,000-pay about 60 percent of all income taxes."

I understand the complaint that pilots should be paid more for their responsibility, skills, and qualifications, but I do not agree that the salaries, from a money value alone, are bad.

If only you made just $20K your entire career, which is the way many of you make it sound. I know guys upgrading after 3 years, making $70K almost immediately, some pulling in $80K+ after just a few years as a captain ... at a regional. Most FO's I know are pulling in $40K+ their second and third year as an FO. Many of you make the salaries at regionals sound like they are ten times worse than they are. For comparison. The average salary being offered today, out of college, is $30-$40K, depending on career. Only engineers are getting higher offers, in the $50K range. The average salary, topped off, for someone with a college degree; $70K. These people outside of aviation pulling in these six figure salaries are just as rare as that FedEx or UPS captain, yet many of you make it sound like everybody outside of aviation is pulling in $300K, and living the good life. Well, if that is the case, and that is so easy, then why don't you leave, and go get that $300K/ year job outside of aviation. And don't tell me about your investment in this career. If everybody is making so much more outside of aviation, then you can easily make up for that "investment". "The overall average U.S. salary is $71,542."

I'll bet when yall are speaking at those career days, you don't mention making $80K as a regional captain, or the fact that major airline captains make over $100K, still. No, its all about FIRST YEAR pay of $20k, you tell everybody, which then makes it sound like you never make more than that.

Regional captains statistically are in the top percentage of income earners in this country. "U.S. workers in the 90th percentile of wage/salary earners—those making $80,000 per year." Some of you make what is considered to be good incomes, seem like poverty. "The top 10 percent of earners-a category that includes people making $80,000-pay about 60 percent of all income taxes."

I understand the complaint that pilots should be paid more for their responsibility, skills, and qualifications, but I do not agree that the salaries, from a money value alone, are bad.

You need to compare airline salaries with other workers who travel for the job and spend a lot of time away from home...$80K is great if you work 8 hour days and come home each night, but most pilots don't.

Look at oil rig workers, miners, fishermen, defense contractors, and other specialty workers who work in remote locations...

They usually work 7 on/7 off (or 14on/14 off) and pull down enough overtime to get into 6 figures. Most of these folks do not have high training & education overhead either.

BTW, the days of pilots working 6 days/month are long gone, typical regional guy is lucky to get a 15/15 split, which is the standard in other industries that work away from home.

If you are in a career for money, then oil rigs, minimg etc, should be a career goal. However, if you like to fly it is still a great career, however if you are in it for ....... you know the rest.

If I gave a positive opinion of the career to kids, I'm sure you wouldn't have an issue with that. Problem is you want only the Barney purple dinosaur world view and not the Jurassic Park version.

They're kids. That's why Barney the purple dinosaur exists for them and not for us. They have to be treated differently that adults. Is this such a difficult concept? Perhaps we should show them "Apocalypse Now" and teach them about the legacy of war? Why sugar coat things and not be completely honest about life?

numbskull!
O.K. You just convinced me of a few things. Not only are you obnoxious but you are also a communist idiot who believes that I should deliver speeches
that provide nothing but facts.

First of all, I am not talking with fifth graders. I am talking w/high schoolers
and college kids. If you would've read my post you would have understood that. Not once in my post did I say anything about furlough.Let me clarify this much. When I said that I do not recommend aviation to anyone, I meant to say to JUSt anyone.Itell all the students to get as much information and educate themselves as much as they can. I even give them my cell# as well, as one friend in cargo and one at the majors, so that, they make their own decisions. Oh and yes, I am being condescending because I have come to
the conclusion that you are the type of person looking for a fight. You must be a real joy to fly with sunshine. Oh, tell me one thing. Should I answer any
of the students questions? Or just refer them to statistics. Boy, I bet they
would take away a lot if I gave nothing but the facts. I understand that we,
eventually will make a lot of money but they need to know of all the sacrifices we make. (like doctors and lawyers)

Hey sunshine, here's an idea. Let's hit the road together and campaign that everyone becomes a pilot!!!! Let's candy coat everything about it because
we don't want to squash all those dreams. And if you think that aviation schools and airlines don't do that very thing to increase competition
and lower wages for all of us, then you my friend are VERY naive.

Do us all a favor,when you come back from La, la land, let us know what you've learned. I am sure it will be stimulating.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back