• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are a d0uche bag. You are unhappy with they way your career has turned out. Sorry for you, but what would compel you to try to disuade others who are not in the business yet and who still have dreams of flying? Everyone has their own experience and I am happy with mine as a lot of others are as well. The complainers have found this website though as a place to b!tch and the happy folks tend to stay away. Your attitude is similar to the @ss bag captain that talks down to his F/O's in the, "I've been flying this thing for "x" years and I know everything. Let me tell you how it is," tone of voice. The only thing you know is that you are unhappy with your life. Do yourself a favor and fix it. Otherwise don't rain on other people's dreams. It's a selfish way to make yourself feel better about yourself. Feel free to tell people what they can expect to make their first year and through their times at the regionals, but leave your opinion out of it!
Hey Mr. Sunshine, apparently you must not be very happy if you're on this website. You say happy people stay away. HMMMMM. Interesting....
From reading your other posts, it seems that YOU are the know it all.Listen up jerky, I speak at schools and tell kids what to expect. I love flying and if someone is interested, I am the first to help them out and give them as much advice as I can. But they need to know what road they are headed down and
they need to be warned. Most everyone I know that hears I'm a pilot thinks
that I must be making tons of money. Do I love flying? Absolutely! Would I do it again. Absolutely! But not everyone will when they hear about the pay in the first few years. For you to think that noone should give their opinions
is ridiculous. You just keep spreading your sunshine around happy boy.

Hey Mr. Sunshine, apparently you must not be very happy if you're on this website. You say happy people stay away. HMMMMM. Interesting....
From reading your other posts, it seems that YOU are the know it all.Listen up jerky, I speak at schools and tell kids what to expect. I love flying and if someone is interested, I am the first to help them out and give them as much advice as I can. But they need to know what road they are headed down and
they need to be warned. Most everyone I know that hears I'm a pilot thinks
that I must be making tons of money. Do I love flying? Absolutely! Would I do it again. Absolutely! But not everyone will when they hear about the pay in the first few years. For you to think that noone should give their opinions
is ridiculous. You just keep spreading your sunshine around happy boy.

Learn the difference between a fact and an opinion. If you tell someone what first year pay is then you are stating a fact. If you then go on to tell them what you think of that pay, they you are stating an opinion. Keep your opinions to yourself.

Learn the difference between a fact and an opinion. If you tell someone what first year pay is then you are stating a fact. If you then go on to tell them what you think of that pay, they you are stating an opinion. Keep your opinions to yourself.

Does that go for yourself, mr. hypocrit? Or was that podium style post of yours pure fact?

Thank you, some people just don't get it. I do say to them that once you get by the first year or two, in my opinion, It is a very rewarding job. Of course Corporate nowadays starts out way better and for what it's worth better job security.

I suppose DirkkDiggler doesn't look outside the box too often.

Thanks again Fly2scuba.

I don't know if I would consider corporate to have more stability. I grew up around corporate aviation, and I don't want anything to do with it. It works for some people, but remember, in smaller companies when things turn south, corporate flight departments are some of the first to get hit. I've seen it happen many times.

box

I have to agree with boxjockety. When my airline was going out of business, I decided to go into the corp. world got hired at a Fortune 500 auto parts supplier in Detroit. The company had 2 airplanes and 5 pilots. They had never had a lay off in their history. 3 years later in the auto turndown of 1982. They cut their dept in half, and I was let go. I saw it happen at VW, K-Mart, Dana, Ford, US Steel, the list goes on. The smaller companies are even worse, not to say there are not good corp. jobs out there, but there are no guarantees

I'm one of those doing flight training "post-911", and mommy and daddy ain't got nuthin to do with it. They haven't since I was 17 either, so I have no free couches to crash on (my friends are pricks too!).

Were you somehow unaware of the payscale at your airline when you signed? Are you aware there is a segment of aviation beyond 121 flying? Everybody was affected by 9/11, not just you. I was laid off after 4 weeks as an engineer in the aerospace industry. Turned out to be a great thing, but I didn't think so at time.

I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be a cake walk, but I am paying attention to what's going on and am going to pick, choose, and make life decisions (life having kids, buying boats, etc.) as necessary.

I may not know much about aviation, but I do know how to make it in life without help. Here's something I've learned - there's practially nothing out there that is a guaranteed stable, get rich kind of job. There's definitely not much out there that offers the above with the bonus of job satisfaction.

Go compare a Pre 9/11 contract at Delta, United, American, Northwest and a Post 9/11 contract. Throw in the fact that the regionals are no longer a "stepping stone" and you'll see a dismal industry.

Not sure what you are looking for in the airline industry, but lots of time off with a good paycheck seem to be gone for the most part.

Still a great job

There still a lot of time off, and the pay check still puts you in the upper 10% of wage earners in the US. Beats working as an acountant in an office. Where else can you be paid a decent wage to do something you like? Still living the dream.

Last edited:
I should have said fractionals and I'll be more specific to say NJA. Sometimes I still find myself refering to NJA as Corporate flying. I do agree with Pilotyip and Boxjockety in that the flight depart. is the first to go. However, I also have seen company's such as Kodak, IBM or Xerox where the CEO's. CFO's and high exec's will cut jobs before they lose there private jet. Even though you still get the red carpet treatment and real extravagant catering and hotels at NJA it is not considered a true corporate job.

So in my oppinion and many many others NJA is right now one of the closest aviation jobs you'll get too for job security. There are a couple of airline jobs that still exist that offer security like SW or FedEx ETC.. They are drying up quick in the airline market though.

Does that go for yourself, mr. hypocrit? Or was that podium style post of yours pure fact?

Did you even bother to read my post? Or did you read it and not understand it? I told him to keep his negative opinions about this industry to himself when speaking to gradeschoolers who are still considering flying as a career one day in the distant future. I am certainly an opinionated person and I don't mind letting you know my opinion of you isn't very flattering. Learn to read and we may be able to agree on some things.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back