• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agree, hard to raise a family. No comp monetarily for time spent away. And no pilot shortage.
p.s. The F100 wages were also back when cost of living was a bit less as well.

captdorn81 said:
I personally am looking forward to working with a Regional comp and even though the pay does suck I love flying too much to turn my back on it so quickly.

Awwww, it's okay...you'll hate it soon enough. And, it doesn't happen quickly, as you say, it's like a slow, painful death. Good luck!!! :p

[. I personally am looking forward to working with a Regional comp and even though the pay does suck I love flying too much to turn my back on it so quickly.[/quote]

You wont' love it so much when you're sitting in the right seat for more than two years making less than the person who bags your groceries, have 15 hour duty days, work six days in a row with one or two days off, when scheduling moves your days off, when scheduling juniors you, when scheduling re-routes you, when your bosses threaten you if you call in sick.

And the big kicker for many right now, you don't get to upgrade when you thought you would because your company decided to pull some BS scheme where they can hire somebody new and pay them less to fly your slot as CA. Or when you think the rug has been pulled from beneath you because your company has lost some of its flying and truthfully you don't know if you'll still have a job. Oh! And not everyone is getting hired at UPS, FEDEX, CAL, Airtran and SWA. Typically those companies will hire anywhere from 200 to 600 pilots per year if we're lucky. But.......they each have about 15,000 resumes on file. You know the odds. Not convinced yet? Go talk to some of those boys at Trans States, Air Whisky, Comair or defunct Independence.
Whatever you do don't talk to the beings at GJ. They'll tell you everything is ripe and rosy from where they stand. Sorry to be so negative, but it is what it is.

I quit my regional turboprop job, and its been great ever since. It feels like ive taken a nice long shower after being really filthy, nice and clean now. No one can attack me for "stealing jobs, undercutting, lowering the bar (thats the best little catch phrase), """scabbing""", whatever the phrase of the week is. Give it a try, youll like it. Not sure if ill ever return to airline flying.

For me, I didnt really understand how bad I was being treated until I got out, (i ended up leaving the country of the united states to pursue another job, literally), examined my situation from an outside viewpoint, and got hired by a company that treats you like a human being, not just another number. I guess only time will tell.

This thread is BS. There is NO pilot shortage. Plenty of pilots out there with 1000tt and 100multi ready to go fly a crj for 20g's to impress the parents. Way too many pilots out there. There may eventually someday be a shortage of safely qualified pilots. But never a shortage of 300 hour noobs willing to work for Mesa.

I dont know...Mesa just had open interviews at Embry Riddle and only 4 showed up.

My experience:
1. Hired by regional
2. Flew the E 145
3. Quit immediately after IOE
4. Tried again with another regional 6 months later
5. Flew the CRJ 2 & 7
6. Quit again and gave up
I thought it might be different at the second airline but it was not. I felt bad for wasting the two airlines training expense at first...but then I remembered why I quit both of them. The abuse by scheduling (not their fault) along with the pi55 poor pay was just a complete exercize in futility. It is a shame that the industry has gone down the crapper. I suspect that Worthless is a big part of the problem. My .02

Hey Sawmill you werent at Mesa on the145 were you...and happen to be from Minn.

I keep getting interview invites for numerous regionals and I already have a miserable job as it is. I'm about ready to get a restraining order against them all. And yes, there are fewer people out there applying to regionals now a days. I've been in this stupid industry for less than a year and can't stand it! Good luck everyone!

flight instructing is for fags. why don' you wip out that nice fat checkbook and pay for a job like the rest of us

actually your title would be best described as "sucker"

Anyway, the reason regionals hire wanna-bes from flight schools like vref is because they are willing to take the lowest pay. its the same reason farmers love hiring illegals, because they know they cant complain about the low pay

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back