• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest pilots set conditions for a merger...Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Want to put some money on that statement? And some details. How soon? How many?
Yes, any CRJ200 that runs nwa hub to delta hub and vice versa will be cut. Such as ATL-MEM, DTW-CVG, etc. That capacity will be immediately absorbed into the mainline.

Yes, any CRJ200 that runs nwa hub to delta hub and vice versa will be cut. Such as ATL-MEM, DTW-CVG, etc. That capacity will be immediately absorbed into the mainline.

I disagree. IF the feds approve the merger (and that's a big "if") it will be on the condition that they can't eliminate competition and cut service. Right now, on the DTW-ATL route NWA flies DC-9s and Delta flies RJs with a couple of Maddogs thrown in. If these overlapping routes move to mainline equipment, the RJs will be redeployed elsewhere. But more likely, the routes like DTW-ATL and ATL will remain the same so as not to arouse the antitrust watchdogs. And the current capacity on those routes already seems "right sized" anyhow. I doubt they will decrease frequency on these business routes just to eliminate the RJs.

More likely a lot of the short DC-9 routes will be cut, especially the intra Michigan routes like DTW-GRR, DTW-MBS, and DTW-FNT. Thee routes will be going to RJs or even turboprops, as they already should have.

There will be plenty of capacity for RJs post merger. They will just be used in more of a traditional commuter role, and for the long thin routes, not to and from large cities like they do now.

Our 757/767 pays more than the A330 now (thanks to the 1.5% raise we just got Jan 1st), and the 764 pays a lot more.
It doesn't really matter, but our A330 CA rate is $161.52 + $5.17 Intl Override (no domestic flying on the 330). I was thinking your 75/6 domestic was around $158.

We also got a raise on 1/1/08.

[quoteOne thing is for sure: Anderson and Steenland could care less about the employees but they are very savvy businessmen; they will see this through and laugh all the way to the bank. While the employees suffer along with the Paxs.[/quote]

I disagree with the above statement...I think that they COULDN`T care less about anything exect making money for themselves and the hedge funds and companys that are holding the paper on Detla and NorthWest. Anderson came in saying "I didn`t come here to merge Delta...yadda yadda" less than a year later is "Who can we merge with? Oh yeah...NorthWest..ok"...He made a big old promise to "Keep Delta- Delta" and to "Keep the company headquarters in ATL"....That one may go away also...I`ve been through 3 mergers during my time at Delta..NorthEast, Western and the remains of Pan Am. If you think either pilot group can stop a merger, you are dreaming...they can make it nasty, but in the end, drop your drawers and bend over, here it comes...

And the madness continues! Furloughs will be on the way, flying is going to be cut and that's just the begginning! It is going to be UGLY!
Right now both companies need pilots, except when the merge is complete they will start parking dc9's faster than you can imagine. They will want to get the fleet in order ASAP to keep costs down...ie training, sims, aircraft parts etc. Man, I would not want to be on the bottom of THAT list! Good Luck to all of those involved...you might want to get your resume's updated also....:(

[
I disagree with the above statement...I think that they COULDN`T care less about anything exect making money for themselves and the hedge funds and companys that are holding the paper on Detla and NorthWest. Anderson came in saying "I didn`t come here to merge Delta...yadda yadda" less than a year later is "Who can we merge with? Oh yeah...NorthWest..ok"...He made a big old promise to "Keep Delta- Delta" and to "Keep the company headquarters in ATL"....That one may go away also...I`ve been through 3 mergers during my time at Delta..NorthEast, Western and the remains of Pan Am. If you think either pilot group can stop a merger, you are dreaming...they can make it nasty, but in the end, drop your drawers and bend over, here it comes...[/quote]

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the above statement. All in all, I don't think the pilot groups can stop anything that the big wigs want to do. Hell, I don't even think the Govt. can stop them! Especially now with the evil "R" floating around. I agree that the groups can make it nasty for them, but beyond that, it is what it is. I'm still hopeful that DAL/NWA will cause the least loss of jobs. Hopefully none....due to Int. expansions and some retirements.

This industry does not need job losses. It needs vacancies that airlines have a hard time filling.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
And the madness continues! Furloughs will be on the way, flying is going to be cut and that's just the begginning! It is going to be UGLY!
Right now both companies need pilots, except when the merge is complete they will start parking dc9's faster than you can imagine. They will want to get the fleet in order ASAP to keep costs down...ie training, sims, aircraft parts etc. Man, I would not want to be on the bottom of THAT list! Good Luck to all of those involved...you might want to get your resume's updated also....:(

Thanks for the Good Luck, where and with whom should I update my resume' so I am in a good position?

While I agree that the Diesel 9s will eventually need to be parked, I think that NWA plans to park them over time with or without a merger. That's what Compass is for. The fact that a potential Delta-NWA merger has few overlapping hubs (except MEM/CVG) translates into fewer needs to reduce redundancies.

Delta and NWA do not compete directly on many routes except to/from the hubs - right? Maybe some random flights to Hawaii but not many other routes. You don't find NWA flying between LAX and JFK. You don't flying Delta flying flights between SEA and NRT. The point is that while there might be some basic redundancies (back office, administrative, one HQ will need to be reduced), I don't see the need to discontinue many flights beyond the inter-hub traffic. You know that another airline would just fill that void. If DAL reduced the number of flights between ATL and DTW, Air Tran would just increase its numbers between those city pairs.

The main benefit of this combination would be complementary route systems - NWA adds two upper Midwest hubs and a fantasic Asian network. Delta adds Europe, JFK, the Southeast, Latin America and a West Coast presence that NWA lacks. Both are members of the same code-share alliance and both will benefit from working closer with Air France/KLM.

Anyone who thinks UAL would be a better partner than NWA (like Gordon Buffoon) is on crack. I don't see the need for the "sky is falling" mentality in this case - sure, there will probably be some change but I think it would be minor (beyond headquarters reduction and administrative "synergies") because the route systems are so complementary... The regionals have the least to gain, however, because you probably don't need as many regional partners - especially if either MEM/CVG is reduced.

Latest resources

Back