• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest pilots set conditions for a merger...Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My ignorant fool - history always repeats itself...... because people like you are too dumb to learn from it! Have fun at USairways part deux

One thing is for sure: Anderson and Steenland could care less about the employees but they are very savvy businessmen; they will see this through and laugh all the way to the bank. While the employees suffer along with the Paxs.

Last edited:
All categories at DL are short on pilots, they are training folks as fast as they can find what they feel are qualified applicants. ER slots are going unfilled, M88 slots are going unfilled, and it sounds difficult to believe but 777 slots could soon go to new-hires for NYC flying come spring!

NWA is hiring and has made news that they are also very short handed.

I highly doubt that the pilot numbers will be reduced if there turns out to be a merger, there will continue to be a need for more pilots as both carriers or one big carrier receives new aircraft, park old ones and reduce 50 seat RJ flying.

Peace JP

All categories at DL are short on pilots, they are training folks as fast as they can find what they feel are qualified applicants. ER slots are going unfilled, M88 slots are going unfilled, and it sounds difficult to believe but 777 slots could soon go to new-hires for NYC flying come spring!

I highly doubt that the pilot numbers will be reduced if there turns out to be a merger, there will continue to be a need for more pilots as both carriers or one big carrier receives new aircraft, park old ones and reduce 50 seat RJ flying.

Peace JP

This is very true. NWA is short just the same. If you remember NWA cx lots of flight last summer for being to short on pilots. Both Companies Need pilots and will contine to need them.

Peace JP

I hope so but the junior guys, like myself, stuck on the bottom will be screwed for quite sometime. USairways is hiring but the my buddies who were hired in 2004 are still on reserve and face a bunch of angry AAA guys trying to take more from them. mergers are nasty always.

My ignorant fool - history always repeats itself...... because people like you are too dumb to learn from it! Have fun at USairways part deux

One thing is for sure: Anderson and Steenland could care less about the employees but they are very savvy businessmen; they will see this through and laugh all the way to the bank. While the employees suffer along with the Paxs.

The problem before was we were in BK. We are not in BK now. We do have a contract that can slam the door on a merger. Moak said he would consider one if it was in our best interest, but you like to rely on history. And, the management will make out well, but without our help, they will NOT. But again, you and history know otherwise! USAir and AWA taught us all a good lesson, and that is an advantage for all of us now. We know what NOT to do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Peace JP

We are budgeted to hire 600 this year, and that is not for retirements, but for INTL expansion--to places NWA does not go. No, AF won't go to those places from the US either. We are getting 10 737-700s, 6 777s, and supposedly 9 MD90s----all before this thing may be approved (by the DOJ in NOV). People worry about CVG. We have 56 daily mainline flights from there. 56. Comair is the one who would be crushed, they have over 200. Yes, we have a pilot base there, and IF we ever had to close it for some reason, we could put them elsewhere, since we wouln't be parking any of the planes that flew into CVG. They would go elsewhere, along with the pilots. NWA is the one that is likely to park planes--742s and DC9s. With the need for 600 newhires this year, I would think that would be a cushion if needed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

We are budgeted to hire 600 this year, and that is not for retirements, but for INTL expansion--to places NWA does not go. No, AF won't go to those places from the US either. We are getting 10 737-700s, 6 777s, and supposedly 9 MD90s----all before this thing may be approved (by the DOJ in NOV). People worry about CVG. We have 56 daily mainline flights from there. 56. Comair is the one who would be crushed, they have over 200. Yes, we have a pilot base there, and IF we ever had to close it for some reason, we could put them elsewhere, since we wouln't be parking any of the planes that flew into CVG. They would go elsewhere, along with the pilots. NWA is the one that is likely to park planes--742s and DC9s. With the need for 600 newhires this year, I would think that would be a cushion if needed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

NWA is planning on a minimum of 400 newbs this year and i was told in reality they needed 800 but cant staff that fast. FWIW SO both companies have lots of planned hiring that will continue.

The problem before was we were in BK. We are not in BK now. We do have a contract that can slam the door on a merger. Moak said he would consider one if it was in our best interest, but you like to rely on history. And, the management will make out well, but without our help, they will NOT. But again, you and history know otherwise! USAir and AWA taught us all a good lesson, and that is an advantage for all of us now. We know what NOT to do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Problem is you may have merge in order to survive at 90 dollar a barrell oil. The door might slam you into BK or even liquidation if you don't merge.

Delta and Northwest: "Two Great Airlines, One Great Future".

When the mergers do happen, the companies will operate as two different entities for so long no one will know whether anyone was affected by the merger or not. The only thing that will be parked right away is CRJ 200s. Also it is important to note that the price of jet fuel will drop as future demand will be uncertain with consolidation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back