• Friendliest aviation community on the web
According to airlinepilotpay.com
NWA has 5457 total pilots
NWA has 4625 active pilots
NWA has 362 furloughed pilots
NWA has 470 on leave
DAL has 7140 total pilots
New Total would be 12597

I'd say that total would shrink fast to about 10000 pilots...

Mergers are never good for the pilots...

in all reality big fences are the only way to ever get these two pilot groups together.

I wouldn't bet on that. If there is a merger there might be some fences, short fences, but at the end of the day one of the objectives of the integration would be to create one unified pilot group not two factions in one airline.

It'll take good faith discussions and negotiations, but it can be done.

Senator Johny Isakson doesn't think so....

Certainly the burden will be on Anderson and company to show jobs wont be lost AND service will be maintained/improved and ultimately the mega carrier will not have an adverse effect on the flying public A tall order. Will be interesting to see if all the demands can be met and pass a majority regulatory scrutiny. If you were to listen only to Oberstar it doesn't look good. I wonder how many total people there are in on the decision within and outside of the antitrust guys.

This came from another article I posted about who wants the HDQ's where---this from GA Senator Johny Isakson:

Pawlenty's letter followed a powerful Minnesota congressman's comments opposing any merger among top airlines. "I don't think mergers are in the best public interest, and that includes this one," U.S. Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.) said.
As chairman of the House Transportation Committee, Oberstar's opinion could be important in any merger debate.

But Georgia's Isakson said he doubts that would stop a deal.
Isakson said he understands Oberstar's opposition to the idea. Northwest probably would cease to exist under a merger, and the combined airline would likely be headquartered in Atlanta.
"In the end, it's all about routes and convenience," Isakson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "If Minneapolis-St. Paul is provided the same basic level of service, the noise [opposition] would be minimal."
Isakson, who knows Oberstar well and who spent six years on the Transportation Committee, said the congressman's comments opposing a Delta-Northwest merger are not surprising.
"That's the natural reaction to anybody in public life," Isakson said. "I have the same parochial interests. I want to make sure Delta stays Delta and keeps its headquarters in Atlanta."

I don't know if that would be enough, but Isakson sure is confident.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Fences big and high.

If Republic and Hughes is any indication, 20 years, no Delta pilot under 45 will ever see and red tail (and vice versa).

This is not efficient and will only make the new carrier less competitive but in all reality big fences are the only way to ever get these two pilot groups together.

We have a lot more widebodies, and more on the way (lots of 777LRs). They have 747-400s, some 747-200s on the way out (all pax versions have stopped), and 787s on order. They have A330s, and we have 767-400s, along with many 767-300ERs, and almost twice as many 757s. Our 757/767 pays more than the A330 now (thanks to the 1.5% raise we just got Jan 1st), and the 764 pays a lot more. They do have a lot of DC9s, and they should be fenced too. It will be interesting if this does occur.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I'd say that total would shrink fast to about 10000 pilots...

Mergers are never good for the pilots...

Where do you come up with this? Did you make this up? What happened during the last merger? USAir and AWA didn't furlough anyone, and are hiring now. Sure, the seniority merge has been a nightmare, but the merger was seamless and had very little overlap. You need to come up with info that is relatively current.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Some 747-200s are being used for PAX with the charters. MSP base soon to open for 747-200s

Last edited:
This is Hilarious.... The General and some of you others actually think you have a say. Alpa will get hood-winked again, fall for it and then slap themselves silly for agreeing to such a dumb idea.

This is Hilarious.... The General and some of you others actually think you have a say. Alpa will get hood-winked again, fall for it and then slap themselves silly for agreeing to such a dumb idea.

And you know otherwise! Both MECs are getting together to ensure a good outcome. But again, you know better than the rest of us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back