• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Second Tentative Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have found NWA FAs to be friendly towards jumpseaters and that's very nice of them. However, I question the idea of FA being a serious "career" just as wouldn't consider waitressing a career. I can understand $40,000 a year if they were working a full schedule, but most of them seem to have at least half the month off if not far more while a regional PILOT is making half that amount with 11 days off or 8.7 (fricken Mesa). Let's see, a pilot indavertantly crosses a runway and takes out a 747 in the process or a FA spills coffee on someone. Who deserves the compensation? Mandatory retirement age of pilots at 60/FAs at 30.

Fly2Scuba said:
I have found NWA FAs to be friendly towards jumpseaters and that's very nice of them. However, I question the idea of FA being a serious "career" just as wouldn't consider waitressing a career. I can understand $40,000 a year if they were working a full schedule, but most of them seem to have at least half the month off if not far more while a regional PILOT is making half that amount with 11 days off or 8.7 (fricken Mesa). Let's see, a pilot indavertantly crosses a runway and takes out a 747 in the process or a FA spills coffee on someone. Who deserves the compensation? Mandatory retirement age of pilots at 60/FAs at 30.
I think it's more about making them a non union group. They are the front line and really if service gets bad some need to be let go. If we want to get our image backwe are going to have to make flying a pleasent experience.

If image is important, and that is questionable, I think they should start with the gate agents. They are some of the rudest, nastiest, least helpful people I have ever seen for a job that requires interaction with the customers. Not all of course, but a bunch!

accinelli said:
This will be fun. Hopefully NWA will use this opportunity to finally get some decent attendants.

I don't think Northwest could get anyone to work there for the money and work rules they are imposing. I heard sick time is accrued at 3 hours a month, vacation at 50% of 2005 and a 21% paycut to boot! Yea, sign 'em up! With Southwest and others hiring, why would anyone want to work at Northwest? The only thing going for them is that they have people who have put in years at the company, that will stick it out. But hiring off the street? No one will want to work at that place when the total compensation is SO much better at other airlines.

canyonblue said:
I don't think Northwest could get anyone to work there for the money and work rules they are imposing. I heard sick time is accrued at 3 hours a month, vacation at 50% of 2005 and a 21% paycut to boot! Yea, sign 'em up! With Southwest and others hiring, why would anyone want to work at Northwest? The only thing going for them is that they have people who have put in years at the company, that will stick it out. But hiring off the street? No one will want to work at that place when the total compensation is SO much better at other airlines.
It's still better than the regionals and they get plenty of flight attendants.

YourPilotFriend said:
It's still better than the regionals ...........

I would doubt that.

Better question should be: Why would anyone want to work in the airline business? It's sad that this is what it has become.

Pilot Knob said:
.....(most I would imagine are very upset they were put in the position to stand up to mgmt instead of the pilots, at least one FA told me this personally).

Did you get some stock tips from this FA too?

Do you know what our new TA is composed of? Have you read it?

Do you know how it compares to the rest of the industry? (Did you see the item-by-item comparisions on every issue negotiated?)

Did you go to any road shows, or read the reams of stuff that came in the mail?

The answer is NO to all the above. The TA was presented to the pilots, & was approved, because it was deemed appropriate for the current conditions. The fact that it wasn't voted down, doesn't mean we didn't stand up to Mgmt.

If I remember correctly, the UAL & USAir guys approved their TAs too.

Did the UAL & USAir & DAL guys fail to "stand up to Mgmt?" The RLA doesn't apply...section 1113c does. Figure it out. At least we haven't had our pension trashed, like the other 3 airlines have.

What they want to take from the FAs is different than what we dealt with. They want to take more from people who make a lot less. The FAs deemed it inappropriate, & voted it down. BTW, only 60% voted the 2nd time, & two-thirds of them voted no...... so the turnout was pretty poor.

Final act, dumping the pension fund on the Pension Guarantee folks. My guess is no later than spring 07.

Your guess is just that....

If they dump the pension, the PBGC gets a large equity stake in the reorganized company.

Do you think that Mgmt wants that?

Do you know anything about the backgrounds of Doug Steenland, and particularly, Gary Wilson?

Better read up on the facts before you start guessing.

Last edited:
--LCCs operating at a lower cost, because their employee costs are lower

That is what your management wants you to think. Looks like you have signed onto that one.

SWA/FO said:
That is what your management wants you to think. Looks like you have signed onto that one.

Do some research on the Legacy pay rates vs. the LCCs pre- 911.

Take a look at AMR, UAL, DAL...... compared to the LCCs. The lower LCC cost allowed for lower ticket prices, which ate the Legacy's lunch. The adjustment was to re-align with the LCCs.

You SW guys are now at the top of the totem pole. Better watch out, your Mgmt is at the bottom gasing up the chain saw.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Latest resources

Back