• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Flight Attendants Reject Second Tentative Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought that for the pilots and others concessionary agreements to go into effect the FA's deal had to be ratified. Since this deal is being forced on the FA's, can NWA legally impose the terms of the other contracts?

Saabslime said:
I thought that for the pilots and others concessionary agreements to go into effect the FA's deal had to be ratified. Since this deal is being forced on the FA's, can NWA legally impose the terms of the other contracts?
No, the pilot deal would only come into effect if the flight attendants recieved the company ask either imposed or ratified.

Saabslime said:

...YES

Saabslime said:

The ALPA and IAM agreements will also be implemented today. -Steenland

xjhawk said:
lets see, one union caved (the pilots)

What do you base your statement on? Did the UAL, USAir, & DAL pilots cave also? Or could it have something to do with:

--the industry being in the toilet since 9-11

--the industry losing more in the last few years than it has ever made...ever

--oil being at all time highs.....the highest ever

--LCCs operating at a lower cost, because their employee costs are lower

--these contracts being negotiated under section 1113c of the Federal Bankruptcy code (key term....bankruptcy)

--I could go on

one union fought (mechanics )

And a great fight they had..... their leadership never let them vote on any of the 5 or 6 proposals. They showed 'em.

what will happen with the flight attendants?

Only 60% voted. Mgmt will implement the earlier TA on them.

.....instead they fight for a contract that specifically takes jobs away from the junior pilots at Mesaba..... thats a great job you are doing over there (to their union over there.....and the idiots who voted it in.....) i just wonder if they thought they would be protecting the pensions?

Stop taking your wife's medicine.

Please explain....IN DETAIL....how the NWA pilot actions are connected to the Mesaba pilots. Feel free to use bar graphs and streaming video.

Since you don't work here, why do give a rat's ass about the pensions anyway?

Well that sucks.........Good luck to all the redtails. I used to be a red-headed stepchild redtailer myself and I think NWA management is the nastiest in the business.

xjhawk said:
lets see, one union caved (the pilots) one union fought (mechanics) and lost badly (sadly) what will happen with the flight attendants? Would it not have been better to stand together? I hear that NWA has like 1500 flight attendants just waiting to step in. That might not cut the mustard, but it would keep the ball rolling i guess, that and enough to cross the line, as some mechanics did. Now i say this.......when in three years when NWA is making Billions, how will the pilots feel when they are still at the bottom of the pay scale in the industry.... I used to feel bad for how things were working out at NWA, but i have realised that they made their bed, and they can sleep in their own crap. Not to mention......hey remember that thing the union was talking about.....brand scope.....instead they fight for a contract that specifically takes jobs away from the junior pilots at Mesaba..... thats a great job you are doing over there (to their union over there.....and the idiots who voted it in.....) i just wonder if they thought they would be protecting the pensions? might work....... and i am putting away 6% of 29000 into a 401k wow....i will be very well off at 60......
Considering the pilots get a significant amount of equity in the company, if it makes huge profits they will make lots of money.

DAL and NWA took advantage of the old Bankruptcy laws by filing shortly before the new laws were to be put into effect. I haven't heard of too many companies filing for bankruptcy since the laws have changed. With my logic, all its flaws included, that must mean the old bankruptcy laws provided significant advantages to the corporation and significant disadvantages to labor. Obviously there must have been flaws in the old bankruptcy laws which led to the new laws, but why would our law makers continue to allow those old rules to be ineffect for a set period of time allowing companies to take advantages of the flaws. There are many rats in our mgts and they are being fed, or feeding, by the rats that make the laws. I can understand NWA ALPA's thought on creating SJet providing jobs for the furloughed NWA folk. However, I don't understand why they didn't figure out before hand that many of these furloughs don't desire a job at SJet (some not even at NWA again). I think the creation of Sjet encourages competition from with in the Airlinks giving NWA more control in their costs and less contol in the other pilot groups fight for fair wages. I believe this is where DW finds reasoning behind his statements to not sign a concessionary agreement at XJ. I don't blame NWA pilots for protecting what they have (had), but maybe there is some blame in the lack of forethought by our union.

This isn't over quite yet. NWA mgmt has been very deliberate in their approach to this whole thing. Busted he mechanics union(local news reports showed the trng of mechanics long before negotiations got serious), filed bankruptcy days before laws changed and a huge payment was due to the pilot pension fund(currently under investigation for that little gem), somehow got the pilot group to accept what most would believe are DEEP concessions twice, and are now ramming the 3/06 TA down the FA's throat(most I would imagine are very upset they were put in the position to stand up to mgmt instead of the pilots, at least one FA told me this personally). Final act, dumping the pension fund on the Pension Guarantee folks. My guess is no later than spring 07. I personally applaud the FA's on their intestinal fortitude.

Latest resources

Back