No More ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

outtahere

Sorry to say it guys, but I believe ASA is on the way out. I've been trying to figure out why we are furloughing and downgrading when we aren't doing that much less flying than last fall/winter. On average last winter we had around 700 flights per day. We are supposed to take a "major" hit to our flying this winter, however I'll be surprised if we don't wind up with around 700 flights per day. So, why the furlough? Well our contract is pretty tight when it comes to Skywest taking our planes, but there is not one mention of them taking our flying. Have you noticed that Skywest hasn't furloughed a single pilot yet? As we start to slide into winter I would be willing to bet my meager salary that you will start to see Skywest 200's and 700's in ATL. The excuse will be that hey, we didn't get cut as much as we thought we were going to, and now we don't have the resources to operate the schedule Delta wants us to, so we are going to let Skywest fill in for us for the time being. Then come next April, those twenty 200's that our "Senior" management is working so hard to place will o bye bye, and then they will want to furlough more. If they are unable to furlough past the no furlough clause, then they will just patiently wait until the hiring boom kicks off, then ASA will wither on the vine until it finally just goes away. Crazy you say? Look at Comair. Since Skywest bought ASA we have done nothing but shrink. We were to get 20 700's from Delta, they went to Skywest instead. Then they took five 700's trying to break our will on the contract. Then there was the 19 900's that were coming to ASA, but they also went to Skywest. That's 44 airplanes to Skywest, not to mention 12 ATR's, and now 20 200's. SEVENTY SIX AIRCRAFT!!!!! That is just three years of work from our leadership at Skywest. If you figure five crews per plane, that's 760 pilots. Skywest has about 1000 pilots more than ASA. The writing is on the wall folks! It had been my intention to hang up my hat here at ASA, I've got six in, and after all of this current industry bullsh!t works itself out I'll be closer to ten, but I don't believe that there will be an ASA left to work for. I've talked to a few others here, and they were all starting to think about this situation the same as I am, so what is the opinion of the Flight Info crowd of ASA pilots? This is after all the ASA board.

I would have disagreed with you until I saw Pinnacle's TA. If their pilot group votes for that turd we are finished.

Sorry to say it guys, but I believe ASA is on the way out. I've been trying to figure out why we are furloughing and downgrading when we aren't doing that much less flying than last fall/winter. On average last winter we had around 700 flights per day. We are supposed to take a "major" hit to our flying this winter, however I'll be surprised if we don't wind up with around 700 flights per day. So, why the furlough? Well our contract is pretty tight when it comes to Skywest taking our planes, but there is not one mention of them taking our flying. Have you noticed that Skywest hasn't furloughed a single pilot yet? As we start to slide into winter I would be willing to bet my meager salary that you will start to see Skywest 200's and 700's in ATL. The excuse will be that hey, we didn't get cut as much as we thought we were going to, and now we don't have the resources to operate the schedule Delta wants us to, so we are going to let Skywest fill in for us for the time being. Then come next April, those twenty 200's that our "Senior" management is working so hard to place will o bye bye, and then they will want to furlough more. If they are unable to furlough past the no furlough clause, then they will just patiently wait until the hiring boom kicks off, then ASA will wither on the vine until it finally just goes away. Crazy you say? Look at Comair. Since Skywest bought ASA we have done nothing but shrink. We were to get 20 700's from Delta, they went to Skywest instead. Then they took five 700's trying to break our will on the contract. Then there was the 19 900's that were coming to ASA, but they also went to Skywest. That's 44 airplanes to Skywest, not to mention 12 ATR's, and now 20 200's. SEVENTY SIX AIRCRAFT!!!!! That is just three years of work from our leadership at Skywest. If you figure five crews per plane, that's 760 pilots. Skywest has about 1000 pilots more than ASA. The writing is on the wall folks! It had been my intention to hang up my hat here at ASA, I've got six in, and after all of this current industry bullsh!t works itself out I'll be closer to ten, but I don't believe that there will be an ASA left to work for. I've talked to a few others here, and they were all starting to think about this situation the same as I am, so what is the opinion of the Flight Info crowd of ASA pilots? This is after all the ASA board.

LMAO!! THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING. You've been in this industry a very very short time and you are spewing your ignorant idiocy. SkyWest very well may furlough in the next 3 months.

You need to get out of ASA NOW. Get out, save yourself....Quit, put your money where your mouth is, then STFU. Thank you.

Trojan

Did I seriously just waste 2 minutes of my life reading this crap? Do yourself a favor. First, quit ASA, it's a dead end anyways right? Second, stop reading flightinfo. It's amazing how much happier you'll become.

I don't blame you for being concerned. It does seem somewhat dire right now, but things are tough all over. Capacity has been reduced 10 to 20 percent from two years ago. That means airlines need 10 to 20 percent less of everything. ASA with 1,600 pilots furloughs 140, roughly 10 %. Delta with 12,000 pilots may be looking at furloughing 1,000 pilots. ASA is not immune to the effects of a weak and struggling economy. By the way, I understand Skywest is less expensive than ASA to operate. That may explain their growth. Management isn't lying when they say cost matters.
Talk to management directly and ask questions. They will explain the conditions and cost differences between the different regionals.

Boy, those are convincing facts..... Kind of like "Saddam has weapons of mass destruction, trust me, I'm from Texas!"

What makes you think I'm trying to convince you of anything?

I'm making fun of you.

And, I am from Texas.

As long as ASA is making money (and you are), ASA will be operating.

That was one of the most silly, least factual, and poorly written rants I have ever seen. If ASA was going away the 10 900s would have went to SKW. They wouldn't waste money on a new crew lounge or A-tech. They wouldn't have updated ASA ops with things like ACARS, skedplus+ etc from the old Pre-SKW archaic ways of doing things. At least have your facts straight before ranting...

Latest resources

Back