• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NO JS to anti-ALPA types

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think next time I have a line check scheduled, I'm just going to deny the jumpseat to the checkairman.

Why?????

People should not ask the opinion of others if they are going to be so shallow and Jr. High about the answer. Ask a "controversial" question, be prepared to get an opinion which you directly asked for.

Do you start every jumpseat request off with questions on politics, religion? What's your opinion of the Tijuana Donkey Show? WTF?

When did it become a crime to disagree with you, anyway?

Yes, it can make for interesting conversation and debate, but BE ABLE TO HANDLE IT. Don't have a fit and throw the jumpseater off just because you can.

As a captain, you should be above the pettiness of your own ego and philosophies. Set the example. You didn't get the point across to the FO, you are just doing your part to stir the pot.

This is the stuff that gets back to people. People talk and people get pissed. It always comes down the pipeline. You're doing more harm to your own pilots than anything, pretty sad.

If anything, karma's a b*tch. Do right by others, and quit being such a turd.
-FW

If someone requesting the jump seat starts using foul language then it could be appropriate to deny him a ride.

That is an important fact to add when telling a story of why you kicked a person off your plane. If you notice, he didn’t mention the foul language in his first post but added it later when he was being criticized for being an assss.

I think pookie is two faced liar. What does everyone else think?

BE90 i think your spot on mate...if someone had used the F-Bomb when requesting the jump seat that would be the thrust of the original post. it wasnt...only appeared much later...almost as an afterthought.

Clearly the biggest pile of dogcrap i've seen posted in a while.

Forget the conversation over the JS...start to realize that pookie is a bs artist and has just wound us all up.

Wow.... let forget the original intent and go with the hypothetical of this discussion: which shows where this profession has gone....

We excuse foul language and disrespect...futher more...we don't have the balls to be captains of our own ships...

Management loves you guys....

PCL:

There you go again...you are mixing apples and oranges. Taking a meal break during a 15 hour duty day is a safety of flight issue....period.

Using the jumpseat as a political weapon or as some other form of retribution is childish, unprofessional, and the bane of the union. It has nothing to do with safety or Captains authority.

A350, having dealt with these situations before, I can tell you exactly what the Captain will say if confronted about it: "The presence of this pilot on my jumpseat would be distracting to me and affect the level of safety of the flight. This is a safety issue."

Is it complete BS? Possibly. Probably. But if we start to pick and choose when we defend Captain's authority based on our own imperfect judgment, then we've started down a slippery slope. The jumpseat belongs to the Captain. Period. I will always defend his right to deny anyone, anytime, no matter how I actually feel about his reasoning, just as I'll defend a Captain for refusing an airplane even if I personally feel that the plane is perfectly safe. I don't ever question another Captain's judgment or authority after the fact.

Wrong!

I threw an Air Carrier Inspector (110A) of my jumpseat in FAR in 2002.

Told him he wasn't going; called my Chief Pilot; flew the jet to MSP...and beyond, uninterrupted, for the remainder of my trip.

No big deal.

Rules is rules.

Never had a Secret Service guy ride the jumpseat, but I can toss them off too, regardless of who is on the flight.

Know the rules, my son.

This sounds like a great story. Details?

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but here's my two peso's. I put the wannabe scab in the physical jumpseat (no cushy seat in first class) and use the time to try and convert him. Denying him/her just makes him/her into more of a union hater.

I did manage to give a GeauxJET Capt the cold shoulder the other day in the terminal. I really intended to say hi until I got close enough to read his ID, then I just couldn't find anything to say. It didn't make me feel good to ignore the dude, but I just couldn't think of anything to say other than "thanks for nothing" so I just walked away.

Last edited:
I did manage to give a GeauxJET Capt the cold shoulder the other day in the terminal. I really intended to say hi until I got close enough to read his ID, then I just couldn't find anything to say. It didn't make me feel good to ignore the dude, but I just couldn't think of anything to say other than "thanks for nothing" so I just walked away.

I ran into a GoJet crew waiting for the hotel van one morning last month in Portland Maine. I saw UAL CREW tags on their bags and thought they were Mesa. When I asked the captain who they worked for, he got very defensive and snapped "GOJETS, who do YOU work for"? I told him ASA and then it was complete silence the rest of the ride. These guys must get crapped on a lot to be that defensive over an honest question.

If someone requesting the jump seat starts using foul language then it could be appropriate to deny him a ride.

That is an important fact to add when telling a story of why you kicked a person off your plane. If you notice, he didn’t mention the foul language in his first post but added it later when he was being criticized for being an assss.

I think pookie is two faced liar. What does everyone else think?

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I don't believe for a second that this actually happened. It was an attempt to get all the ALPA folks on here to say "You go girlfiriend".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back