No furloughs at Delta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lineflyer1

Delta is promising no furloughs due to the capacity reductions this fall!

How are they going to accomplish a 15% Intl reduction and a 10% domestic reduction without furloughs?

Easy, reduce their regional partners flying by 20%!

Comair,Skywest, ASA, etc and let them furlough instead!

How are they going to accomplish a 15% Intl reduction and a 10% domestic reduction without furloughs?

Absolutely. The 200's are going bye bye. Not all of them, but quite a few. It would be great if DAL does not have to furlough the "real" airline pilots. After all, us regional pukes deserve it. Right?

And the bad part of this is?

Nu

Sorry for what I'm about to say, but did you expect equal treatment? Should you expect equal treatment at a regional?

Shrinking the regionals is the best thing for this industry. It just sucks for those working at them.

Sorry for what I'm about to say, but did you expect equal treatment? Should you expect equal treatment at a regional?

Shrinking the regionals is the best thing for this industry. It just sucks for those working at them.
Shrinking regionals is only good with corresponding growing majors. Since that's not the case here, it doesn't do any of us any good. If there is no job for me to jump to when my current one disappears, it doesn't help me or the industry.

I want to know where you heard there will be no cuts.

They reaffirmed their commitment to try and forgo front line employee cuts, but that just means try really had.

It is double speak. I will be floored if we get through this cut with out any. IMHO.

Last edited:
Yo mainline!!!

FLOWBACK YER MOM!!!

If my memory serves me, it's the 3rd time we've announced cut in the past 8 months or so. We have one displacement already, the next one probably in August. Mgmt can say they'll try to preserve the rank and file at the front line, but personally, after the 2nd cut, I figured we would have to cut some labor, it's just matter of economy.

There're still many issues to be worked out, primarily SOC. Anderson does not want to create bad blood, bad PR, you name it, by axing people over Thanksgiving dinner. They'd rather do it after SOC, so that they have their month and a half to chant how successful this merger has been, and then the guillotine will fall. I think it's a good strategic move, since there're a lot of trap doors to furlough pre-SOC, with the biggie of a possible out-of-seniority furlough.

Things that'll help us: economy recovery better than expected, fuel prices stabilizes, better PERPs to attract our golden aged colleagues to retire early, ALV adjustment, heck, i'd even take a 2 week no-paid leave to prevent furlough.

To my RJ brothers and sisters. I got no beef with you. I was one of you, and i'll never forget where I got my experience to be where I am today. But fact is, our union needs to fix SCOPE, NOW, period. Obviously the method of accomplishing that is very political, but rest assured, we're not your enemy. Everytime I hear any unfavorable comment regarding our Delta Connection colleagues from my CA, i cringe and kindly remind him/her that we're all in this mess together, and a lot more of us junior folks are coming through the ranks of ASA, SKW, XJet...

Fraternally,
your mainline brother

There will be furloughs in the fall. It just isn't going to be talked about with Summer peak travel just starting. They will grandstand and talk all around it, but it will be coming. Business travelers are not traveling.

The economy has not bottomed out. There are more bankruptcies and maybe bailouts coming. In this economy, even the health care industry is getting slammed. The more people that are out of work, the less people that are insured, and for those that are still working and have insurance, only life and deaths procedures are being performed. There will be some Hospital Systems that will bite the dusk, also.

Unemployment has not peaked. The worst is yet to come. Foreclosures are only at the first wave. The Government is still printing lots of money that is not backed, interest rates will rise, inflation will increase, the housing market is still declining, and the car manufacturers are giving away cars but there is still too much inventory.

Our industry is the first to suffer, and the last to recover. The only thing saving some of the carriers is that they can still cut capacity to keep load factors high. However, check the prices, they are giving seats away. Rising oil prices will erode any chance of profit they may have had.

On another energy front, the Middle East is brewing. Just one conflict there, supply will decrease, and will run oil prices through the roof. Iran will be the catylist, and Israel is going to be the target. Hopefully, Obama has made a favorable enough impression on Hugo Chavez that, should a middle east war break out, supply can be increased from South America. However, it will not be enough to keep oil prices from shooting through the roof.

Will there be furloughs this Fall? They are already announcing the precursors with all the cutbacks. You can't have the announced capacity cuts and not furlough. To not furlough would be irresponsible to shareholders and also have long term affects on the viability of the Company. Furloughs will happen at all levels in this industry. Only the strong will survive. The Merged Companies from Msp and Atl, have the most promise of survival, because there is alot of capacity that can be cut, yet still maintain a strong market presence by just routing passengers through the surviving hubs. CVG--GONE. That's really why Comair was moved to JFK and Mesa was sent to a future ghost town hub.

If you are furlough fodder, you better save your bucks. It will be real hard to find any kind of decent paying job at all. Be prepared for a long absence. Industry wise, it's going to be a terrible winter and one we will all remember. The Spring will be even worse.

Yes, my industry friends, there will be furloughs, just like there were pension cuts. There will be alot of Drama and communication about we are trying not to furlough, just like they fought for your pensions, but in the end, there will be furloughs. I doubt Scope will be narrowed or outsourcing will be recaptured; we may see less Scope and more outsourcing. The top half of one pilot group will give scope relief to protect their positions. They have done if before. Probably the safest place to be right now is a Regional, especially one that has good, long-term contracts.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back