• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No furloughs at Delta!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flows have never worked... they ALWAYS hurt the regional far more than they ever help. Its as very bad idea...

Frankly, I think they hurt both sides by locking people into a process that may or may not work. But for humor's sake, I would agree to a flow only in the following scenario: the minute I give up my seat, I get a mainline seniority number and, therefore, become a mainline furloughee in addition to the guy that took my seat. That way I may be out of a job, but at least I'm in the mainline system somewhere. Under those circumstances I'll go take a break for a few years, but not in a situation whereby my flowup depends on whether my regional even exists later on and/or whether or not mainline feels like hiring my kind. IOW, I give something up and get something back right away, not maybe possibly later on. That's the only way I can see it as even remotely fair, the mainline guy got something (my seat) I got something (a seniority number).

You reckon the wise men at various MECs would go for that?

Flow isnt the way to do it, anyways. A company like CPZ where the applicants are screened basically by the mainline company I would agree to it. Otherwise there is a need to interview the applicants in my opinion. There was talk of it in the NWA system for 9E to mainline, and I was strongly opposed to it while I was at 9E. It simply doesn't get the best pilots.

You've stated something similar before and I have a hard time understanding your position. How is somebody good enough to fly your customers not good enough to fly with you? Unless you have no faith in your training department's ability to weed out problem people (which I don't think is the case with you), I really see no great need for interviewing flowup candidates. If the guy is qualified to fly more than 52% (or whatever the latest number is) of your clientele, why does he need to interview to fly the other 48%? I genuinely don't get that logic.

There was no job for a lot of us at Delta to jump seat when we were furloughed for years and years. As I recall the regional pilots in general kept telling me how it was good for the industry.
as usual, I believe your perception has been clouded by your ego. I've obviously flown with, known and talked to thousands of regional pilots and I have NEVER heard ANY (not a single one) say they were glad that Delta furloughed pilots after 9/11.

I'm not saying that you didn't run up against some stray idiot who would believe that (did you pull the "I'm a by god Delta pilot and you're scum" attitude on them first?....'cause we all know some of you guys are pretty good at displaying that attitude and it tends to piss people off just a little bit). However, the almost 100% majority of regional pilots hated that you guys got furloughed. Had there been ANYTHING we could have done about it,we would have. The only thing available to us at the time to help was to agree to have furloughed mainline pilots hired at ASA (and some others I think) ,knowing that it would be "wasted" training resources, to which we happily agreed.

Don't forget that all of us got into this with the desire and goal of moving on to a major at some point. EVERY furlough from a major (or even a hiring freeze) puts us ALL further from those goals.

So, if you believe any regional pilot thought it was "good for the industry" or good for you or ANYONE ELSE, you're completely wrong. Completely!

as usual, I believe your perception has been clouded by your ego. I've obviously flown with, known and talked to thousands of regional pilots and I have NEVER heard ANY (not a single one) say they were glad that Delta furloughed pilots after 9/11.

I'm not saying that you didn't run up against some stray idiot who would believe that (did you pull the "I'm a by god Delta pilot and you're scum" attitude on them first?....'cause we all know some of you guys are pretty good at displaying that attitude and it tends to piss people off just a little bit). However, the almost 100% majority of regional pilots hated that you guys got furloughed. Had there been ANYTHING we could have done about it,we would have. The only thing available to us at the time to help was to agree to have furloughed mainline pilots hired at ASA (and some others I think) ,knowing that it would be "wasted" training resources, to which we happily agreed.

Don't forget that all of us got into this with the desire and goal of moving on to a major at some point. EVERY furlough from a major (or even a hiring freeze) puts us ALL further from those goals.

So, if you believe any regional pilot thought it was "good for the industry" or good for you or ANYONE ELSE, you're completely wrong. Completely!

I think you need to slow down and take a breath! If you read my post there is not one thing there that says any regional pilot was happy at the furlough at Delta. I just said that at that time, there were posts by the hundreds claiming how dumping our planes and getting tons and tons of new RJs was better for the outlook of Delta!

I think you need to slow down and take a breath! If you read my post there is not one thing there that says any regional pilot was happy at the furlough at Delta. I just said that at that time, there were posts by the hundreds claiming how dumping our planes and getting tons and tons of new RJs was better for the outlook of Delta!
if thats what you meant, I stand corrected and please accept my apology.

Latest resources

Back