NJ Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
unless you've had a lot of retirements
Don't you mean deaths? Last I heard (including on this thread), these old b*stards are staying put...still. Least productive/most expensive labor who will not leave voluntarily.

Kinda curious- is FSI still just letting these old-timers slide through training?..or are they at least holding them to the standard they should be? The guy they paired me with (who was a PIC who'd been at NJA for like 20yrs) for my 6mo recurrent after hire (which was a PIC pc--for whatever reason they do that) was SO bad; he was making callouts that either were never NJA SOP or had been changed 5 yrs prior..the examiner had to correct him each time he said the wrong thing--was very annoying. I gave him the controls to brief the approach and within like 10 seconds he had busted altitude and almost stalled the airplane. Then we got to his checkride...
It was so bad, I was SURE he'd be a bust. Nope--"good job guys..see you next time". WTF!!?!?!

Last edited:
Now all you have to do is get the rest of the gang to feel that way too.

To many happy jobbers out there.

And I have been working on that. Quietly. With respect of their beliefs. With facts. With rational, principled arguments.

What has to stop is the resentment, jealousy, name-calling, shouting, derision, and "get-even-with-em-ism" that has been coming from a large chunk of the membership for a LONG time.

It causes the objects of that scorn to push back--even against initiatives that are probably in their long-term best interests. Funniest thing is, the ones who have shouted the loudest and harshest against the GLC are the ones pounding the table hardest demanding our "unity."

Humans don't respond well to that.

Don't you mean deaths? Last I heard (including on this thread), these old b*stards are staying put...still. Least productive/most expensive labor who will not leave voluntarily.

Kinda curious- is FSI still just letting these old-timers slide through training?..or are they at least holding them to the standard they should be? The guy they paired me with (who was a PIC who'd been at NJA for like 20yrs) for my 6mo recurrent after hire (which was a PIC pc--for whatever reason they do that) was SO bad; he was making callouts that either were never NJA SOP or had been changed 5 yrs prior..the examiner had to correct him each time he said the wrong thing--was very annoying. I gave him the controls to brief the approach and within like 10 seconds he had busted altitude and almost stalled the airplane. Then we got to his checkride...
It was so bad, I was SURE he'd be a bust. Nope--"good job guys..see you next time". WTF!!?!?!
He may be slow but he's ahead of you.

And I have been working on that. Quietly. With respect of their beliefs. With facts. With rational, principled arguments.

What has to stop is the resentment, jealousy, name-calling, shouting, derision, and "get-even-with-em-ism" that has been coming from a large chunk of the membership for a LONG time.

It causes the objects of that scorn to push back--even against initiatives that are probably in their long-term best interests. Funniest thing is, the ones who have shouted the loudest and harshest against the GLC are the ones pounding the table hardest demanding our "unity."

Humans don't respond well to that.

I'm listening. Heck, if us all getting a raise won't put NJA at a competitive disadvantage because all pilots will be paid more due to the shortage, then BRING ON the raise! I could certainly use the money, and my FOs really need a big raise.
Gutshot, it sounds like you have been kinda battered and bruised at NJA. I was not aware of it, could you elucidate for the class?

nj is 35% more expensive because there are about 10 guys upstairs paying themselves about $100 million per year.

thats where the pay cut needs to start. turds roll down hill they say?...id say the top is where the turd starts

I'm listening. Heck, if us all getting a raise won't put NJA at a competitive disadvantage because all pilots will be paid more due to the shortage, then BRING ON the raise! I could certainly use the money, and my FOs really need a big raise.
Gutshot, it sounds like you have been kinda battered and bruised at NJA. I was not aware of it, could you elucidate for the class?

You don't read the union board much, do you?

Reality check time:

Any NJ SIC under the age of 40 should be HAMMERING the major airline application process.

Any junior PIC (lower than 50% on the list) under the age of 40 should be SERIOUSLY considering a major.

Any of the 495 STILL without a gig should hit these regionals to at least get current. Sadly, NONE of the 495 should plan on coming back.

Any PIC or SIC over 60 should be tidying up their retirement planning and spending habits.

Any PIC or SIC relatively senior between 40-60 should be working their networks, polishing up the logbook and the resume, and keeping an open mind when perusing job openings they see on line and hear about from contacts.

You have to NOT CARE if the Brain Trust threatens to close the shop. There ARE jobs out there and if Berkshire is dumb enough to close it down over an extra 40-50 million, there will be ANOTHER 3000-5000 rich people looking for pilots to fly their jets. You know, the jets they will pay for with the lawsuit money they will get from Berkshire for leaving them high and dry.

I won't take a nickel less for what I do and, in fact, I think I'm worth more. I am DEFINITELY no rah-rah union guy but I won't HESITATE to vote no and I won't hesitate to "take a little vacation" when push comes to shove.

G4Dude- I like you amigo but you and a number of our colleagues in the GLC need to get over the idea that this is a family. It AIN'T Richie's Netjets anymore and Okatie is GONE. This is BUSINESS and the industry dynamics are on OUR side for across the board improvements in pay. I'll agree there are some productivity problems that need addressing but inflation is eating away at our frozen pay every day and it's time to fix it.

+1 :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great post GSD!

so now all of a sudden you desire a raise?

read below..

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back