New Skywest Jet Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Errr..

I'm a 6-year SKYW guy: my wages have lagged inflation; my profit sharing has been decreasing as related to sinking margin, adn thus compensation package even when stocks are thrown in; labor is fixed for increased productivity; our 18-month Ace is a joke; management appears heading away from better relations as they purposely avoid any negotiation of substance (spare me the union talk); not sure about quality of lines, though I would say not improved with PBS; 410k match is still pretty meager; may time out in December, getting lack of bennies and pay for that period; lack of communication with management directly to pilot group demonstrates pseudo-effective leadership. On the flip side: never taken a pay cut; decent domicle seniority thus PBS not too bad yet; a lot of user and vacation time in the bank; smartly work schedule to have 6-digit W2; never gotten in trouble or even called on the carpet.

Are we thriving compared to peers and am I? Yes to the former and probably less so to the latter, since most of the differential is internally driven; be nice to make up for some of that with improvements on the company side. Lots of other regionals doing just fine...

like I've said, depends on the person. guess I'm just a 'glass is half full' type. I don't dispute that there are things that can/should be improved upon. sounds like we mostly agree.

BTW, it is your choice to time out, right? there is a guy in ORD who will time out and credit around 1500 for the year, according to him. pretty good bank, awesome yield! too much work for me, but more power to those who want to.

Your choice to time out? Well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. Of course, with the lack of control of our schedules with PBS, some people could well be forced into timing out. And the ensuing lack of benefits. Quality airlines (Expressjet, for example) pay their employees min guarantee if they time out. Why not us?

SkyNation said:
like I've said, depends on the person. guess I'm just a 'glass is half full' type. I don't dispute that there are things that can/should be improved upon. sounds like we mostly agree.

BTW, it is your choice to time out, right? there is a guy in ORD who will time out and credit around 1500 for the year, according to him. pretty good bank, awesome yield! too much work for me, but more power to those who want to.

What is it in your work rules that allows you to credit 1500 hours in a year?

I assume that is far from the norm. What would you say would be normal hours and credit for someone bidding in the middle of the pack?

Continious duty overnights AKA "stand-ups" could push the credit up that high while keeping block low. Usually around 5.5 hrs of credit for 2-3hrs of block.

2 for 1

Premium Pay

Time and one half

Voluntary Junior man

Stand ups(continuos duty)that pay 6 or 7 hours as oppossed to straight leg pay.

All of those things can add up to boost your credit hours above your actual flight hours. If you know how to work the system, it can work fairly well.

I don't know about boosting your credit hours to 50% of your actual hours. But apparently some people can do it, specially if all you do is standups.

As far as the norm. I'd say there is no norm. Some people like to work the minimum and go home, others like(need)to max out their schedules. But its not unreasonable to get between 85 and 90 credit hours per month.

FORESTGUMP said:
you haven't hurt anyones feelings. The point is name calling and screaming and jumping up and down like you guys do makes you seem like bratty little kids whos stay at home mommies think their tantrums are sooo cute! Its neither mature or professional. I'm sorry for you that you cannot have a difference of opinion and a discussion without resorting to childish acts.

:confused:Who the H3LL thinks tantrums are cute? Mature or professional....AH, if they would TREAT US like PROFESSIONALS then we would probably ACT like PROS! I get tired of making up for the "MANY" in-efficiencies of this company. Either you are new or a mgmnt lover....(Was THAT name okay?) We are sick and tired of this BS and are READY to take it to the next LEVEL!!!!! 92%BABY!!

3blade said:
alright! more crappy CRJ's, but this time its the stretched version of the previously stretched version. Can bombardier make this aircraft look any more retarded.

Yeah, wait until we have 100 people waiting for gate check bags...ummmmmmm, love it!

SKYWRJGUY said:
Errr..

I'm a 6-year SKYW guy: my wages have lagged inflation; my profit sharing has been decreasing as related to sinking margin, adn thus compensation package even when stocks are thrown in; labor is fixed for increased productivity; our 18-month Ace is a joke; management appears heading away from better relations as they purposely avoid any negotiation of substance (spare me the union talk); not sure about quality of lines, though I would say not improved with PBS; 410k match is still pretty meager; may time out in December, getting lack of bennies and pay for that period; lack of communication with management directly to pilot group demonstrates pseudo-effective leadership. On the flip side: never taken a pay cut; decent domicle seniority thus PBS not too bad yet; a lot of user and vacation time in the bank; smartly work schedule to have 6-digit W2; never gotten in trouble or even called on the carpet.

Are we thriving compared to peers and am I? Yes to the former and probably less so to the latter, since most of the differential is internally driven; be nice to make up for some of that with improvements on the company side. Lots of other regionals doing just fine...

I'm curious how you think the 401K match is meager. Many places match
25 cents on the dollar, 50 cents if you're luckly.

Morning Wood said:
I'm curious how you think the 401K match is meager. Many places match
25 cents on the dollar, 50 cents if you're luckly.

Get out of the aviation industry and a 100% match for the first 6% is not uncommon.

Pretty much all regionals have a pitiful 401(k) matching program, which is a shame because of the erosion of retirement benefits industry-wide.

Latest resources

Back