new low for pinnacle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UZAInstructor said:
I don't have to do any of that, I took a job at an airline that has single occupancy during training, as well as full 72 hr guarantee and per diem. I'm not a prima donna by any means, like it would seem you are insinuating. I just feel it's another degradation of the profession and people are just saying "oh well, it's not that bad".

So are you honestly telling me that you didn't apply to a single one of the airlines that requires you to share a hotel room during training? Not Chautauqua? Not ExpressJet? None of them? Or, by luck of the draw, did you just happen to end up at a carrier that provides single occupancy rooms and now you feel the need to put yourself on a high horse over it? Something tells me its the latter.

To the original poster, how is this a "new low" for Pinnacle? Wasn't it Pinnacle that used to not provide any sort of housing or pay during training at all? If I recall that was the reason I didn't apply to Pinnacle way back whenever I was job searching.

Probably should get facts straight prior to releasing your knowledge. 1.) Single occupancy rooms + food allowance (about 1/2 the fine pay) but no taxes and no other deductions.

UZAInstructor said:
For anyone who says it's "not bad, it's only 5-6 weeks of your life" etc............we're not (supposed to be) kids or in college anymore. We're adults and this is supposed to be a professional field. Do you think Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, Duke Power (I'm just randomly picking companies here), basically any company, ask their employees to share a room when they send them for a seminar somewhere? And this includes brand new, college grad, 22 yr old employees.

Yes, the military has a bunch of guys in the same barracks, I know, I was in the Navy for 4 years, and it sucks. But, this isn't the military people, so that's not a valid excuse.

I don't care what any of you say about "getting off my high horse", it's insulting to be asked to share a room as an adult, like I'm back in the college dorms my freshman year. I'd even compare it to being asked to sit at the kid's table for Thanksgiving dinner.

Maybe it's cause I'm 30 now, and I've had some time to act and be treated like an adult, and to go back to less is regressive.

And you are still not paid like an adult, but that is oK? I will accept $20K my first year as along as I get my own hotel room? Do you think those companies you mentioned pay their starting employees $20K? Maybe in a signing bonus.

AA

UZAInstructor said:
I don't have to do any of that, I took a job at an airline that has single occupancy during training, as well as full 72 hr guarantee and per diem. I'm not a prima donna by any means, like it would seem you are insinuating. I just feel it's another degradation of the profession and people are just saying "oh well, it's not that bad".

You most likely could qualify for food stamps, and are probably living off your credit cards at times, however I am glad to know that is not degrading.

AA

OK I will admit a single room is better than the previous no room allowance but honestly guys this really is just ridiculous. I understood other airlines that forced double-occupancy used two room suites where there was a shared living area but separate sleeping areas, maybe that is not fact after all.

CoATP- it is indeed a fact they are doing this at PNCL I just talked to a member of the Jan 3rd class a few days ago.
ok continue defending regional airlines now

AAflyer said:
And you are still not paid like an adult, but that is oK? I will accept $20K my first year as along as I get my own hotel room? Do you think those companies you mentioned pay their starting employees $20K? Maybe in a signing bonus.

AA

No, that's not ok either. Believe me, I've been in no large rush to take a job paying less than I'm currently making instructing. In fact, on principle alone, I resisted applying for about 6 months (hence why I'm just now getting hired at 1600 hrs, instead of the more common 500-700). But after trying numerous other routes to get where I wanted, to no gain, I realized going to the regionals is a necessary evil.

To the other guy who asked if I applied at CHQ, etc..........nope, only applied to one airline, which met my standards, to include single occupancy during training. Not everyone is in such a hurry to fly a jet they'll do anything and put up with anything to get there, hard as that is to believe in the current climate.

AAflyer said:
You most likely could qualify for food stamps, and are probably living off your credit cards at times, however I am glad to know that is not degrading.

AA

And, I don't really know why you're coming at me like this.............whether you realize it or not, we're on the same side. I'm just trying to retain some semblance of dignity to this career, and this is as good a starting point as any other. I understand you probably feel bitter towards me, assuming I'm one of the flight instructors who could care less who's back I climb on my way to the top. Nothing could be farther from the truth, and I'm insulted every day by the wages these companies are willing to pay. Sad fact is, I see no other route to get the experience that employers who halfway respect their pilots want. And management at the airlines knows this.........

UZAInstructor said:
. But after trying numerous other routes to get where I wanted, to no gain, I realized going to the regionals is a necessary evil.

So when they asked "Why do you want to work here?" during the interview is this what you told them?

There are always other avenues. If you don't want to be at a regional airline, then don't apply. Then we don't have to hear you complain after 6 months on the line of how awful you think it is.

Hulk,
Could be, the Dec. group is single occ. At Pncl before you are qualified (pass check ride) you are a candidate not an employee. In fact during the first year as a probie you are an "at will" employee or in the words of the union "an apprentice." Is the case at other carriers? Mainline as well?

Latest resources

Back