new low for pinnacle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyBoy1981 said:
So when they asked "Why do you want to work here?" during the interview is this what you told them?

There are always other avenues. If you don't want to be at a regional airline, then don't apply. Then we don't have to hear you complain after 6 months on the line of how awful you think it is.

Nope, I told em exactly why I wanted to work at that specific airline, and it was the truth. And you won't hear me complain in 6 months, I know exactly what's in my future. I'm not averse to working hard, though I will fight for a fair wage and QOL every chance I get.

Is the case at other carriers? Mainline as well?

Yes. Every Union Job I have ever seen in any industry has had some sort of probation/apprentice period where you remain an "at will" employee until this period is completed. Usually six months to one year.

UZAInstructor,

Don't let AAflyer get to you. His/Her profile boasts of Saab and BE1900 time. Unless he/she was flying those sweet rides for a corporate outfit, he/she was working for substandard wages himself/herself.

UZAInstructor said:
I don't have to do any of that, I took a job at an airline that has single occupancy during training, as well as full 72 hr guarantee and per diem. I'm not a prima donna by any means, like it would seem you are insinuating.

I stand corrected. I incorrectly assumed you were one of those people who take a job offer, only to complain within the first 6 months about all the things you should have known about. Keep in mind that when you compare your airline to anyone else's, there's bound to be something at yours that someone from elsewhere will ridicule. If you don't believe me, post where you're going to work and let the fun begin.

You might want to get through training at least before you get too publicly smug about how smart and noble you were on your choice amongst the "necessary evil" regionals.

On the other hand, sincerely, best of luck at your new job.

How to boil a frog

HulkHogan said:
Yup I must be a newbie to the industry....I just haven’t figured out that this is just the way it is and O ya I should just be happy to have an offer with such a wonderful company. It is just like UZA said we 'adults' should not be expected to live in a dorm style environment like we did in college. And its people like you BlackBox who just accept these substandard work rules / contracts that make our industry even worse than it already is, O ya great job on negotiating no longer paying out of pocket for training…excuse me if I am not over-impressed. Just because a few other airlines do something doesn’t make it right, dumba**.

HulkHogan and UZAInstructor have it exactly right. As adults, it is insulting to have to share a room in training like a pair of 18 year old college freshmen who don't know any better. Doesn't matter if you're 20, 30, 40 50, or whatever. It's just plain wrong, and the company can easily afford to pay for single occupancy. The study partner argument is specious, because you can just as easily spend time with a study partner and still have a private space to return to when you want to study, relax, sleep or play with yourself.

HulkHogan hit the nail on the head of the other problem too - by accepting these practices, they become the norm. If you throw a frog into hot water, it'll jump right out and hop away. Throw a frog into cold water over a low flame, and it will sit there until it realizes the water temperature is slowly rising, but then it's too late to jump out. The regional airlines are boiling frogs with these practices, and by meekly accepting them it's getting worse for everyone. Who knows what's at the end of the road? Maybe flying for free and paying the regional for the privilege, just to get turbine PIC in the logbook? Sound impossible? Maybe.

Nancy Pryor said:
It's been done before. Mesa did this routinely in the 1990s when they were still a Part 135 airline.

There was a time that this was standard practice at corporate/charter outfits everywhere....

When I was at ACA and at COEX we were required to share rooms in Customer Service training, and I believe at COEX it was standerd for all employees. I didn't particularly care for having a roomie, but I do understand why the company does it.

Nancy Pryor said:
The regional airlines are boiling frogs with these practices, and by meekly accepting them it's getting worse for everyone. Who knows what's at the end of the road?

Maybe I'm missing something, but a month ago you were asking advice on which regional to apply to, and now you're taking this rather condescending tone? So which is it? Do you need career advice? Or do you have it all figured out?

Nancy Pryor said:
Throw a frog into cold water over a low flame, and it will sit there until it realizes the water temperature is slowly rising, but then it's too late to jump out.

So, frog boy, when you get offered your first airline job are you going to jump out of the water when they tell you that you have a roommate or are you going to sit there and get boiled? Like the old saying goes, don't talk the talk unless you are willing to walk the walk...

Latest resources

Back