New generation of USAF officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
highside said:
In a time of war, picking a tanker over a fighter?? If this would happen now that would be pathetic. I'll leave it at that. Your post proves that this aversion to fighting is not unique to the new generation, so perhaps there is nothing to worry about. I know NKAWTG, the same logic applies to everybody down to the janitor that empties the trash in my squadron. The simple fact is there are those that choose to carry the gun into the fight and those that choose to stand on the sidelines.
This does not include the people who never had a chance to fight because they didn't get the jet they wanted etc... But those who CHOOSE to keep out of the fight?!?! I don't understand why you put on the uniform if you don't want to fight. Just my opinion, and I've backed up my talk.

...and the holier-than-thou attitude of some pointy-nose drivers continues...

BoilerUP said:

No, I just know where I stand. If you read my earlier post you'd see that I criticized the fighter guys (including myself) mentioning that I was humbled by the TACP's and Special Forces dudes that are on the ground fighting now. Many of them are enlisted, getting paid peanuts. I am not holier-than-them, and if one of those guys said something, the only reply I would have is "thank you". When I chose my fighter, I made a best guess as to where I would most likely see action. It was after Desert Storm. As OIF kicked off, I was an ALO, and my unit didn't bring us, so I told my commander to send me to the place where I'd see the most action. I got more than I bargained for on the ground in Iraq, but I'm proud of my service and humbled by the kids I fought alongside, I learned a lot there, including that there are plenty of dudes out there besides fighter pilots who understand service to their country. Many will get out way before their retirement quite uncerimoniously (sadly, as they did in 4 years what most never accomplished in 20). I certainly wouldn't jump into a special forces thread and tell those dudes "how it is". I know where I stand. I've witnessed some amazing feats of bravery and sadly, too many trajic losses of life of dudes who chose to carry a gun into combat. How many stories like this do you have? I just get really fired up when I see that attitude from you heavy guys, now is not the time.

BoilerUP said:
IMHO (or holier-than-thou opinion if you choose), as a pure civilian, you really don't have a dog in this fight/thread. There are carnivores and herbivores in this world. You are a herbivore and should stick to herbivore threads. As one who has not served (civilian on your profile), why would you feel like you've earned the right to enter into a discussion about warriors (heavy or fighter) among warriors. Do you think current and former military aviators discussing the future of military aviators gives a rat's @ss what you think on the subject? Consider your audience.

ExAF said:
IMHO (or holier-than-thou opinion if you choose), as a pure civilian, you really don't have a dog in this fight/thread. There are carnivores and herbivores in this world. You are a herbivore and should stick to herbivore threads. As one who has not served (civilian on your profile), why would you feel like you've earned the right to enter into a discussion about warriors (heavy or fighter) among warriors. Do you think current and former military aviators discussing the future of military aviators gives a rat's @ss what you think on the subject? Consider your audience.

I have been medically disqualified from service as an Air Force officer THREE times in the last four years; once in AFROTC (history of asthma), active duty (infected lymph node and an apathetic AD recruiter who wouldn't return my phone calls), and most recently ANG (high interocular pressure at MFS). I was enlisted in my ANG unit (C130) prior to being medically seperated.

Does that "earn me the right to enter into a discussion about warriors"?

Milplt, and all others who critisize those that take a heavy over a fighter, there are good valid reasons why someone would take a heavy over a fighter and it has nothing to do with whether you want to serve your country on the front lines. At one of my last assignments I had a F-4 driver working for me. He was a civilian now because he descided flying fighters wasn't for him. Quite bluntly, he told me he just didn't have the skills to do it and almost died trying, twice. I have never flown a fighter but with 600 hours in the T-38, I think I can kind of guess what it's like and I descided it wasn't for me, it had absolutly nothing to do with weather I wanted to serve on the front lines.

Now back to the point of the thread. I have seen exactly what you are talking about many times and almost always it's because the leadership has failed in some way. However, what I have also seen many times is when the leadership fails the crew members always step up and "make it happen". Now the question we are all asking is; will this new generation of pilot step up when the time comes? In my experience there is only one way to find out put them in charge and see what happens.

I had a student one time who was exactly like the type of pilot we are talking about. I put way more effort into the training than he did, maybe I should have washed him out. Many of the other instructors said he wouldn't make it in an operational squadron. Long story short, when the time came, over in Afganistan he came through with flying colors. Like I said you never know until you put them in charge.

Unfortunately, you can't give everyone the chance to prove themselves in real life - either they make it early on in training or they don't. Back in '91-'92 when I got my wings, the stated objective was to specifically challenge us and see if we could hack it in training, if not - out we'd go. You were never more than 3 rides away from washing out - ever - and if they couldn't simulate combat, they'd turn up the heat the best they could. They fully admitted that most everyone could make it through training if given enough opportunities and re-attempts - but that wasn't an option (and every single UPT grad from '94 ish and prior knows exactly what I am talking about.) Now, the attitude is, and this is a quote from a UPT Wing CC; "given enough bananas you can teach a monkey to fly, and we have plenty of bananas." BS. I am glad that your stud made it through with flying colors, but if he had not, who would have paid the price? The ground forces who would have lost out without effective CAS and potentially taken casualties as a result. This isn't little league, everyone doesn't get an unlimited number of shots. My wingman in my previous post was also a bubble rider, and he didn't make it when it counted in my opinion - he wouldn't even get close enough to me to see what motor was on fire. And in an ACM engagement during a CAS exercise, his flight lead had to "beg" him to point his nose into the fight to schwack the bandit that the flight lead had anchored. Trust him in combat - never. Maybe they should have made the call on him early on in his UPT career - like those before us did - it took fortitude, but they did it.

Combat capability has taken a back seat to Equal Opportunity - make it through in the required gates, or go find something else to do should be the mantra. There are people behind you willing to step up to the plate. And, by the way, the ones that we are talking about are not the LT's who are busting their arses and just a little behind, these are guys who are looking to be spoonfed.

BoilerUP said:
I have been medically disqualified from service as an Air Force officer THREE times in the last four years; once in AFROTC (history of asthma), active duty (infected lymph node and an apathetic AD recruiter who wouldn't return my phone calls), and most recently ANG (high interocular pressure at MFS). I was enlisted in my ANG unit (C130) prior to being medically seperated.

Does that "earn me the right to enter into a discussion about warriors"?

No, not really. Not when your one "contribution" to the thread was to bash on fighters. Post content, not flame. Being medically disqualified is not a qualification, though I do applaud your persistence.

Milplt, I think we agree on more than disagree. Yes, I fully support getting rid of the ones who can't cut it in the required number of attempts. Like I said, when this doesn't happen it's usually the leadership who has failed. However, what I am saying is; because these pilots are not "leaning forward" by your standards does not mean they will not when the time comes. Give these guys the challenge and see what happens, some will step up, some will not. Let me give you an example of where I think the leadership has failed us on this issue. When I went through UPT everyone got a checkride in T-38's as a flight lead. Today they only take a checkride as a wingman. Why did we stop challenging them in this way. My experience has been most pilots will step up when required and if they don't, get rid of them. I also agree the time to see if they will step up is not in a combat situation. I think anyone in the AF knows that our training system would never allow a guy to get that far without having prooven themself. The guy I was talking about had 3-4 years of training after he left me, and I'm sure his squadron would have never put him in the situation if they didn't think he could handle it.

UPT in 1971

RickKC-135 said:
When I went through UPT everyone got a checkride in T-38's as a flight lead. Today they only take a checkride as a wingman.

I preferred the old single-track system. If you couldn't pass the T-38 four-ship formation check, you washed out of UPT. The AF wanted the ability to subsequently transfer any pilot to fighters or FACs because of the Vietnam War. Lots of tanker drivers were shifted to F-105s, for example. Can't prove that the T-38 experience made better multiengine pilots, but I think so. Due to many "saves", tanker pilots were honored guests in any fighter pilot bar, along with the chopper guys.
:beer:

HarryShadow said:
The "goof offs" are the ones who will end up graduating #1 from ROTC, #1 from UPT, get their top choice and have a kick a*s career. Don't be too quick to judge. I was probably the goof-off, top of my class, went to jump school, top choice from UPT, all my commanders loved me, etc. Nothing wrong with having a little fun with life...be it ROTC or active duty, but join ROTC (no commitment until you go to field training), and see for yourself what it's all about!!!

Your reply was pretty much what I was thinking when reading the post about his "perceived" goof offs. From my experience those who were "motivated" in ROTC, ended up getting a blanket party or other nice little gifts from those of us who were (to outside observers) "unmotivated". (Remember, this was back in the days before "time out" cards and "tailhook hearings" and other touchy-feely programs). And not surprisingly the "motivated" guys never hacked it in the "real" (whatever THAT is) AF.

Latest resources

Back