New generation of USAF officers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tomgoodman said:
I preferred the old single-track system. If you couldn't pass the T-38 four-ship formation check, you washed out of UPT. The AF wanted the ability to subsequently transfer any pilot to fighters or FACs because of the Vietnam War. Lots of tanker drivers were shifted to F-105s, for example. Can't prove that the T-38 experience made better multiengine pilots, but I think so. Due to many "saves", tanker pilots were honored guests in any fighter pilot bar, along with the chopper guys.
:beer:

Can't prove the T-38 experience made better heavy pilots either---but empirical evidence (from my own experience) --- it was extremely beneficial. It was a direct benefit for me.

kingsize said:
No, not really. Not when your one "contribution" to the thread was to bash on fighters. Post content, not flame. Being medically disqualified is not a qualification, though I do applaud your persistence.

Please go look at post #8 to see my "contribution" to this thread.

I wasn't bashing fighters or flaming, I was commenting the "fighters are best" attitude that *some* people seem to have (including some of those new officers I know and refered to in post #8). The post I refered to seemed to infer that anybody that willingly chose an aircraft that didn't put ordinance on target was in some way "afraid to fight"...which is a pretty naive POV in my opinion. Everybody has their reasons for their decisions as has been discussed on this thread.

I'd have loved the opportunity to fly an Eagle or Hog had I been able to go active duty...but not everybody has or wants the opportunity to fly fast and blow stuff up.

I will gladly bow out of the rest of this thread. Good day, gentlemen...

Fighters may not be "best" but they traditionally have been scarce, and to get one from UPT was a sign of a good stick. In my class of ~50 in 85-07, everyone flew T-38s. It was the true equalizer. At the drop, there were about 5 fighters, a couple of FACS, and the rest assorted FAIPS, tanks, bombers, cargo, and assorted liason stuff like C-12's. The fighters were gone quickly in the top 10%.

Who was it here who said (paraphrase) "Due to PC hooey, the old noggins cannot shape the noobs, hence the new crop is weak." Spot on.

Yeah I Guess It Does

BoilerUP said:
Does that "earn me the right to enter into a discussion about warriors"?
Yeah I guess serving in a C-130 unit earns you the right to enter into the discussion about warriors, but with limited credibility. Certainly not enough credibility to bash the "holier-than-thou pointy nose drivers." It makes you sound bitter and disgruntled over your prior disqualifications and blaming them for your misfortunes. I went back and re-read #8. Valid, but it still doesn't give you the credibility to post #51. Tell you what, you don't generalize all fighter drivers to "holier-than-thou pointy nose drivers" and I won't lump you into the pure civilian non-warrior herbivore crowd. I couldn't tell you had served from your profile. Thank you for your service. Peace...:beer:

Nope

McGillicutty said:
Seems like a few folks missed #4, too.
Nope, didn't miss it at all. Why don't you re-read #11 too. I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt (although it doesn't fit me anymore:laugh: ). #4's got nothing to do with #8 or #51. What's your point? Not flaming, just trying to figure out where you're coming from. Cheers...ExAF

highside said:
In a time of war, picking a tanker over a fighter?? If this would happen now that would be pathetic. I'll leave it at that. Your post proves that this aversion to fighting is not unique to the new generation, so perhaps there is nothing to worry about. I know NKAWTG, the same logic applies to everybody down to the janitor that empties the trash in my squadron. The simple fact is there are those that choose to carry the gun into the fight and those that choose to stand on the sidelines.
This does not include the people who never had a chance to fight because they didn't get the jet they wanted etc... But those who CHOOSE to keep out of the fight?!?! I don't understand why you put on the uniform if you don't want to fight. Just my opinion, and I've backed up my talk.

Keep out of the fight? Are you actually suggesting that fighter pilots are the only ones contributing to the war effort? Where do you get your gas from in the AOR? Who gets the "boots" into and out of the theater. Who fixes those jets you fly? The most important job in the military is the one you are doing, whether it's flying fighters or working in a services squadron. If you want to "carry a gun to the fight", perhaps you should go join a marine infantry unit.

ExAF...

Perhaps I came off a bit crass, Cobra17 said what I was feeling without the zing.

I was told by an uncle (-15A driver in Germany circa mid 80s) about military training & flying, "Never pass up a good opportunity to keep your damn mouth shut." Probably shoulda listened!;)

Good day!

The most important job in the military is the one you are doing, whether it's flying fighters or working in a services squadron.
If you want to "carry a gun to the fight", perhaps you should go join a marine infantry unit.[/quote]

Dude, you sound like an Air Force commercial, you're going to make General if you're not careful. I really hope you're not knocking the marines.

Last edited:
ExAF said:
Nope, didn't miss it at all. Why don't you re-read #11 too. I've been there, done that and got the T-Shirt (although it doesn't fit me anymore:laugh: ). #4's got nothing to do with #8 or #51. What's your point? Not flaming, just trying to figure out where you're coming from. Cheers...ExAF

No flame taken. Even though I qouted your post, I wasn't really referring to it, specifically. My pea brain was trying to point out that #4 seemed to provide a solution to the original problem. It seems as if we're beating a dead horse... bitching about the same thing over and over again. My bad if I came across confusing.

Latest resources

Back