New Emirates order....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which 3 UAE carriers are you against?

Qatar is not a part of the UAE. The UAE has 2 main airlines, as you know Green---Emirates(Dubai) and Etihad(Abu Dhabi-- the Capital of the UAE). I think some may be confused, and some really don't care.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Well Sniper is obviously confused and based on the amount of posts the two of you have devoted to the topic you both seem to care. But to be fair it's not surprising that an American doesn't realize Qatar is the name of a country. I had never heard of the place growing up. It's small, far away, and hasn't made much news outside of the realm of oil and gas, aviation, or workers rights abuses.

Overseas carriers see Chapter 11 of the U.S. bankruptcy code as a very unfair form of state aid that is not available to them. In most developed western countries airlines (and other corporations) either make money or they cease to exist. No declaring bankruptcy, operating for years, all while escaping debt and union contracts. Don't be fooled into thinking we don't have some very favorable forms of state aid in the United States that are not available to carriers of other nations.

Ok, thanks. Good idea, let's not be "fooled" by that. But then why are we fooling ourselves with this: We have to sit on the other side of a bullet proof door on lockdown because the US flag is a bullseye that no other country is wearing. No other country. The people who caused and continue to cause that to be the case share a lot in common with the overseas carriers that stand to benefit the most from it. Why are we tiptoeing around this? It's basically what caused the most recent BKs. Every time some thing happens that reminds us of 9/11, a US legacy's stock goes down, and Emirates goes airplane shopping. Really pisses me off that US bk can be termed an "advantage" by carriers that are able to take advantage of us.

Last edited:
Is EK still planning to add the A350s or will they swap them for more A380s?

Also, when will EK begin the move to the new airport outside of Dubai?

General,

Admit it dude. You want to be the biggest dog in town. That's patently obvious to those on the outside. You spend an ungodly amount of energy sifting through the net trying to find ways to discredit other airlines and prove Delta is the best. Do you stop to sign autographs in the parking lot after your European trips? Tell the kids about all the hot "stews" and the ice cream sundays at FL350?

Yes Typhoon pilot wanted a job back in the states. I bet he had his fun, has a nice sum of cash in the bank, and is ready to go home. He probably can't just up and retire so why not take a job with Delta for the medical insurance, paycheck, etc. But I bet you his financial security is pretty solid. I imagine he has some pretty great stories to tell his grandkids about flying all over the world. Not just back and forth on the NAT tracks in a clapped out old 767. And he got to enjoy being a 777 captain in his 40's, maybe even 30's. Spending 40 years at one company is not necessarily the most fulfilling path to take in life.

It kills me when your main argument is that he gets to be a Captain on a 777 in his 40's....that's it? Really? Nothing else good over there?

It seems you measure a career move by how big your jet (unit) is. Face it, if you or him or anybody else had a better move, they'd have left a long time ago. I know people there too and others who left, it isn't all roses on that property.

It kills me when your main argument is that he gets to be a Captain on a 777 in his 40's....that's it? Really? Nothing else good over there?

It seems you measure a career move by how big your jet (unit) is. Face it, if you or him or anybody else had a better move, they'd have left a long time ago. I know people there too and others who left, it isn't all roses on that property.

Bill, you can say the same about Delta, United, AA, ETC!

http://m.us.wsj.com/article_email/S...2219208604-lMyQjAxMTAzMDMwMDEzNDAyWj?mobile=y

Emirates President Tim Clark said it is "laughable" for U.S. carriers to complain about subsidies after slashing costs and debts through bankruptcy reorganization, as did Delta, United and, most recently, American. U.S. complaints are "all pretty insipid," he said. "It would be best if they put their own house in order and put themselves on a competitive footing."

Put our "house" in order? Interesting. I'm pretty sure in 2001 when UAL was a DOW component and $130 stock, the house was in order. Emirates is growing as fast as it can because they know US airlines will get their "house in order".

The US has the most sophisticated military, a space program, dominates world air cargo, and builds the worlds best aircraft. But somehow we pretend that major airlines are something we struggle at? Really, or do we just hamstring them by over regulation, lack of support, lack of advocating them? Seriously, is there a more neglected industry in our Country?

Flopgut....what you say is absolutely true.

but

This is all the fault of the US government and NOT the fault of any foreign carrier. None of these foreign carriers are taxing US carriers at an exorbitant rate or making labor laws so it is nearly impossible to get rid of bitter employees who don't provide quality customer service. It is also the fault of the US government that the same financing options for aircraft from US manufacturers are no afforded to US airlines. I agree and I think its a travesty.

Bill, you can say the same about Delta, United, AA, ETC!

Sure but people don't leave those places because of the same reasons. Usually they are forced out by retirements and furloughs.

You don't see Delta setting up recruiting shows in Sharjah trying to steal away Pilots like they desperately do in Atlanta.

Good luck to you there, it's not a bad place to live, I was a guest of the Emir back in the day when bombs were droppin elsewhere. I'm not so sure about the airline and it's rules (upgrades, duty days, vacations etc.) being so hospitable.

Latest resources

Back