• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New CAL System Bid?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, and I bet that was after "snake charmer chunky" Prater gave the speech of his lifetime about some greedy bastard, blah, blah blah, fellas the only fix is a change of the age. No matter that the MAJORITY voted against. ALPA PAC will get NOTHING till chunky's gone, with an apology.

That is funny

About 2 months ago, Prater was in the pilots' lounge in EWR and he was spouting off about not letting management use PBS to leverage us. He said remember the quality of life issues....... I pointed out that if over 50% of the bidding population were going to get a line that completely ignores their bidding parameters ( i.e days off, max hours, etc.) and will 'award' a line of 90+ hours that there isn't much left with quality of life.

I then had to explain to him what a 'splat line' was and other basic aspects of our current PBS system. Clearly, Prater has never had to even deal with our current bidding system on a personal level.

That is our in-touch leadership........

Right on! Interestingly, you can get him to talk Crewpass?! Full page ad in USAToday?? Oh, he's in touch all right. I barely see my family and he's worried about taking his shoes off??

Prater is not equiped to take care of all of us in this profession. What he really means to say is: he won't let the company, and the bottom half of the list, leverage PBS against him taking care of the top half.

The loan is no longer due I'm afraid. It was due, and then Pratard changed retirement age. There would be a durable pilot shortage pushing things along if it weren't for him. Even with fuel and these recent shutdowns, pilots would be in demand. Here's what's going to happen IMHO: The need for pilots will return in about 24-36 months, and it will be an even greater than before. F-ing Prater & company are going to lament this and seek to cash in on it again. It will be with foriegn control, or cabotage, or something like that...He'll want to pull the ladder up again. We have got to put a damper on this recent windfall his crowd took. I say we shore up scope (capture the 170/190), seek an incremental raise for junior pilots, and leave the top half of the list high and dry (let's lower their pay!?). Sign a two year deal and get back to this in earnest when demand comes back.

The loan is no longer due I'm afraid. It was due, and then Pratard changed retirement age. There would be a durable pilot shortage pushing things along if it weren't for him. Even with fuel and these recent shutdowns, pilots would be in demand. Here's what's going to happen IMHO: The need for pilots will return in about 24-36 months, and it will be an even greater than before. F-ing Prater & company are going to lament this and seek to cash in on it again. It will be with foriegn control, or cabotage, or something like that...He'll want to pull the ladder up again. We have got to put a damper on this recent windfall his crowd took.

First off, I'd like to commend you on coining the term pratard. But should it ever be capitalized???

As for 24-36 months, I think you're buying into that BS that pilots will retire at 62. No freaking way. It's 65. Unless, of course, they get it changed to 67. And then unlimited. That's how they'll pull up the ladder again.

Thanks Andy! Oh, I most definitly agree, many will want 68 or 70 or whatever. I was talking about CAL pilots only. Decades of morbidly bad work rules have left CAL, without a doubt, the least healthy pilot group in the world. They just aren't going to last that long. Even the seniority they've coveted from others won't insulate them from the dirth of QOL issues that prevail at CAL. Without a doubt, if you put age 60+ pilots below the CAL splat line (in any fleet), 24-36 months would go to 12 months.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy! Oh, I most definitly agree, many will want 68 or 70 or whatever. I was talking about CAL pilots only. Decades of morbidly bad work rules have left CAL, without a doubt, the least healthy pilot group in the world. They just aren't going to last that long. Even the seniority they've coveted from others won't insulate them from the dirth of QOL issues that prevail at CAL. Without a doubt, if you put age 60+ pilots below the CAL splat line (in any fleet), 24-36 months would go to 12 months.

Well, it's paid for. New LTD rate is $1.72/$100 vice the old $1/$100 and, according the jointly signed letter, it is the younger pilots' fault for needing to be covered longer.

Splat line - is that the point below which PBS assigns all lineholders max time? And I'll assume that the trips are also pretty crappy?

I hope that the reserves are listening to Floyd in crew scheduling and aggressively picking up nice trips; Floyd says that makes reserve pilots' lives easy. http://interlinerates.blogspot.com/2007/04/india-crew-scheduling.html

Latest resources

Back