• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New 1500 hour rule first affected

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be careful for what you wish for, however--are you sure Unical wants even more international LCC competition out of the Houston area? That might further bite into your monopoly on Houston international flying.

Bubba

Even in reading the link you provided in support of your argument that UAL "selected" SWA get the EWR slots, I read it as saying that other airlines were possible, but the only immediate "yes" was give the slots to SWA. IF you think you're right, then why even make the above accusation? Obviously we feel we can compete with you. We want to compete with you. We believe we would do well competing directly with you. IAH is about as vibrant as a marketplace gets. All manner of airlines are here. You've been at Hobby since day 1 and haven't made much of an impact. What needs to be acknowledged is the final agreement you signed at Love and the fact that you want to exploit a thoroughly well developed fair market at IAH. Not only to avoid spoiling IAH, but so you don't go shopping for another below average mayor and misguided airport authority.

Btw: Are you aware of how much money Interjet and Volaris have raised? That Mexicana is being resurrected? These airlines want to grow. Do you think that they are going to agree to you having unfettered access to Mexico while they make do with a single gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Are you dumb flop?

Have you ever been to hobby?

Intercontinental is dominated by Lcal - dominated.

It works bc you need all that space to work your hub and spoke - and widebodies need that space to fly their huge building sized planes into-
But it's a hike to get out there-
What is it? Best case- 45, 50 minutes to downtown- much less points south where so much development is

Locals want hobby and there is nothing wrong with that in a free economy. And we don't need the space and runway sizes of IAH with our 737 based hybrid system-

Your argument borders on ridiculous. Of all things GK isn't a bad businessman. If we need more gates bc we aren't getting business done- then I imagine we'll work on getting more gates.

You just want to keep your cash cow up in IAH- but remember, you don't want to compete with us in hobby either

You just want to keep your cash cow up in IAH- but remember, you don't want to compete with us in hobby either

We don't? I seem to remember competing with you at Hobby.

Locals want Hobby?! No. Not quite. Lived there 9 years and have been based there twice that long. Locals know SWA has not been even an average corporate citizen. (Despite being the first of three cities you served) They want the 10,000 jobs and the 1.6 billion dollar boost to the Houston economy you promised. Like any big city they need jobs, but most won't be surprised when you don't deliver.

And I have no idea what growth you're talking about South of town?! Exxon is consolidating world headquarters in the Woodlands (just North of IAH).

Wave: you can't tell me it's not SWA's plan to see all the competing airlines forced to IAH and SWA have complete control of international flights from Hobby. I don't know if you'll work some crooked deal with the mayor, or get a price of trash legislation passed but that is very much the SWA plan. It would not be right that more United [former CAL] employees get hurt in that scenario. Not after Love Field, or after we've seen SWA fail to flourish in the IAH market. There are a lot of hard working Houstonians that deserve better than to watch you guys escape a level playing field. Yeah, we have a big hub at IAH. We have the hard work to show for it. It was not given to us.

Like any big city they need jobs, but most won't be surprised when you don't deliver.

Man that's rich. Wait a minute while I get my insulin.

You mean similar like United? Talk about pulling the rug out from under the city. Send the Corporate Offices to Chicago. How many jobs was that?

Then, to add insult to injury...

Your CEO doesn't even show up to the City Council meetings and threatens to pull jobs out if the SW expansion is approved.

then,

within about one minute of the approval, Smisek cuts 1000 workers...instantly. I hate to tell you, but he had the letter ready to go and signed before he headed out of the office for a round of golf. It didn't matter what the city council did, he didn't care. I'm sure Houston is loving them some United right now.

Wow.

Ok, so all that, the actions of one CEO, means you ought to get away with whatever you want? You need to spend some time as Houston's largest employer before you pop off maybe...

Locals want Hobby?! No. Not quite. Lived there 9 years and have been based there twice that long. Locals know SWA has not been even an average corporate citizen.

Swing and a miss TWICE!

The straw poll, conducted at TOP’s community meeting on May 6, found that 79 percent of the nearly 100 attendees support the expansion, while 9 percent were opposed and 12 percent undecided. Separately, TOP said it spoke informally to 400 residents near Hobby Airport, with 386 in favor of the expansion.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/05/08/poll-finds-majority-of-nearby.html

That’s why I couldn’t be more proud to share that Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Southwest Airlines in their 14th annual list of 100 Best Corporate Citizens in the world! Not only are we excited to receive this recognition, but we are the only commercial airline to be honored as a leader in the commitment to transparency and responsible business practices.

http://3blmedia.com/News/CSR/CR-Mag...est-Airlines-100-Best-Corporate-Citizens-List

Ok, so all that, the actions of one CEO, means you ought to get away with whatever you want? You need to spend some time as Houston's largest employer before you pop off maybe...

So it's okay for you to talk about what Gary Kelly and Southwest are doing, but it's not the same with your company and your CEO?

Got it.

It's obvious to people in Houston that your company, in the end, doesn't care about them. Blog after blog talks about the poor customer service since the merger. You can continue to live in your fantasyland.

Last edited:

Will UAL. Still be the largest employer in Houston when HQ. is in Chicago ?

Just asking

No it won't. They were number two to begin with, and only then barely. I'd say they'd probably drop below number five with the HQ heading to Chicago and the reduction in line workers.

Houston’s Largest Employers

Home>Job Opportunities & Hiring Trends>Houston’s Largest Employers
1. Memorial Hermann Healthcare System*
19,500 employees
2. Continental Airlines, Inc.*
16,000 employees
3. The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center*
15,000 employees
4. ExxonMobil*
13,000 employees
5. Shell Oil Company*
13,000 employees