• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National Seniority Protocol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The seniority system has to be done away with, not made bigger. A national seniority list will not protect pilots from furlough, or the 1113(c) process.

If you chose an airline that went bust, such is life. You lost, accept it and move on...you are not entitled to a position at another airline.

How is not having a seniority system protect pilots from furlough or the 1113c process?

And just because "such is life" doesn't mean that "such" cannot be made better.

I'm not trashing your decision to further your career. But why do you feel you're entitled to return to your old company with full seniority? I've said on here before I would be on board with some sort of portable longevity in regards to pay, but this proposal seems more like a Trojan Horse designed to give mainline pilots "bumping rights" at the regionals. I'll be interested to see if this idea gets any traction.

I think he is comparing other unions in which the starting over doesn't occur when you decide to further your career. In fact, this isn't the case in non-union jobs as well. We are probably the only profession that does this to ourselves, no credit for prior experience.

Or you can look at it as being able to bid for vacancies across company lines rather than just at your current company. I don't know if that is what this resolution is getting at but I don't see it the way you do if in fact this is the case.

They way this logic is headed, it would make ALPA an employee leasing company. ALPA could employ the pilots, train and type them then charge the airlines a fee for their services. In that fee, they could bury benefits, retirement and other costs which would immunize the pilots from their bankruptcies.

If an airline did file, they would negotiate with ALPA as a vendor, outside the RLA and perhaps the pilots could rebid if ALPA endorsed a change in the contract.

One possible benefit to the company might be in training costs if ALPA could deliver pilots who would only need company 'differences' training. I'd bet despite the issues with ALPA, they could deliver services more efficiently than the carriers.

this really won't go anywhere unless people are willing to go beyond the "this is how it has always been done" mentality.

When Dave Behnke was first organizing in the 1930's, it was a different environment, going from one carrier to another. It is time we move beyond that, to a fuller, stronger idea of what a pilot costs, regardless of the company.
It would also make alpa national even stronger, able to stand up to hostile managements and bankruptcy judges.

What a crock. I'll be the first to say it. This idea screams against reason. The flames may fly, but this is a foolish idea.

Funny how the UAL pilots are in favor of this now that a THOUSAND of them are going to be on the street. Of course, it would be wonderful to just walk over to the most solvent carrier and present your card and bump down everyone else "junior" to you. It's a junk idea, and they never would have supported it when times were good.

Latest resources

Back