• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

National seniority list.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
who is going to pay for it? You want the protections of a NSL... well protection cost money....

Managment going to pay for it?

Doubt it....

How about dues at 5%?

Someone has to pay for it....

Mirror?

One list within the brand is the correct first step in this direction. .

In addition... we need to raise first year pay....

lets start with 30K for regionals... and 65K for majors...

Thoughts fins?

No objection at all. Maybe even bump it up a little.

It is a separate issue, but related inasmuch as unity is the path that takes us there.

Last edited:
who is going to pay for it? You want the protections of a NSL... well protection cost money....

Managment going to pay for it?

Doubt it....

How about dues at 5%?

Someone has to pay for it....

Mirror?

You're like a union dues/cost/assessment mascicist. You are just too sure this has to be ultra expensive. Leverage what we want against the RLA. The smart argument is to say: give us the equivilent of the RRB (which is paid for by users) or release this profession to the NLRB.

I'm not saying it's going to be cheap, but it's well within the scope of ALPA's current budget. This would be less expensive than 65.

Specific discussions of a NSL are difficult because they bring out seniority aggression. Going after the RLA could help in the same way and would do so in a way that would transcend all union and non union lines.

Flatter wages than that Rez- you can do it- much flatter. There are plenty of carriers that should start FO's out at $80-$100k. That happens industry wide- and captain's at carriers w/ weak/corrupt mgmt will tell that mgmt to piss off and let the carrier die. Right now- we won't do that- and for good reasons.

The job should pay what it's worth. Now. It shouldn't be- "yeah i don't make much now, but when i get to the majors..." ", but when i get off 1st year..." ", but when i upgrade...." ", but when i can hold widebody..."

Get rid of the disparity between FO/CAPT. It's not that capt's don't deserve it- it's that waiting for the upgrade to get paid steals leverage.

GET RID OF THE CARROT- PAY FOR THE JOB YOU ARE DOING TODAY- NOT FOR WHAT IT MIGHT PAY.

(b/c let's be honest- there's a real good chance that it won't.)

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea needs to check into the US merchant Marine, They have had a national seniority list since the beginning of time. More ships are out there then ever before (globalization and the oil economy guarantee it), and all the commerce goes back and forth between the USA.

Do a little research and see how the national list worked out for them. I guarantee you we will get a national list, and in return, management will get cabotage, and there will be NO flying jobs in the USA.

Cheers
Wino

PS... I wanted to go to sea more than I wanted airplanes.

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea needs to check into the US merchant Marine, They have had a national seniority list since the beginning of time. More ships are out there then ever before (globalization and the oil economy guarantee it), and all the commerce goes back and forth between the USA.

Do a little research and see how the national list worked out for them. I guarantee you we will get a national list, and in return, management will get cabotage, and there will be NO flying jobs in the USA.

Cheers
Wino

PS... I wanted to go to sea more than I wanted airplanes.

This is a good point on taking this issue at the RLA.

We challenge the RLA with: Keep the RLA give us the RRB and all assorted/established benefits therein. Or release us from the RLA and let us work with the NLRB. Mgts and oversight will think twice about wanting to get rid of the RLA. The RLA is what keeps us tied to the oars. Cabotage will not be subject to the RLA. As arrogant and wicked a master oversight and mgts are, if those who they allow to cabotage want to withold services they will be completely unable to force them to work.

Latest resources

Back