Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, how on earth did you get into this line of work? Do you actually make a living at it? I've done my share of ocean crossings, but dang!

Just out of curiosity, how on earth did you get into this line of work? Do you actually make a living at it? I've done my share of ocean crossings, but dang!

Yes, I am making a living at it.

I admit it's a hard living but it's a living flying. There is no money in domestic airplane ferrying to many a**hole airline guys undercutting because they have and abuse their airline privileges, Jerks that do it for free and pay their own lodging etc, or simply the buyer don't want to pay anything because they are cheap and/or there is someone that will do it for almost nothing them guys can have the domestic ebay crap flights!!!

International ferrying is where the money is,

I 1 to 2 flights a month for me is $2,500 to $5,000 depending on the airplane.

5 Days in a VFR 150 across the lower 48 for $750.00 Labor

Vs.

5 Days in a Twin Commander to Philippines for $2,500 Labor

3 Days in a IFR 172 across the lower 48 for $550.00 Labor

Vs.

3 Days in a IFR 206 to Panama For $2000.00 Labor

6 Days in G1000 182 to England $2,000 Labor + Tax commission of about 2% if I set up the import to the UK with the customs broker.

On a brand new 182 thats a good chunk of cash. I have 2 in escrow right now will work out to about $7,000 each airplane to me upon landing at the customs brokers location in the U.K. for import.

How difficult is it to organize all your stops? For example, how do you decide where you will park in HNL and for how long, and who will refill the gas tank in PGUM?

Last edited:
How difficult is it to organize all your stops? For example, how do you decide where you will park in HNL and for how long, and who will refill the gas tank in PGUM?

Not difficult it's called ground handling and you hire a ground handler for that. Everything gets prearranged as much as possible. Right now I have fuel Available at all stops. (Majuro fuel it's still on a boat enroute eta the 7th)

Good Book that helps and is worth the money for international travel.

https://www.buypenton.com/ProductDetail.asp?PRDID=4826

Last edited:
From the website http://www.ferrypilotservice.com/

Spring Special 05-2007 Single Engine Airplanes U.S.A. To U.K. $1,400 Labor + Expenses

Spring Specia 05-2007 Multi Engine Airplanes U.S.A. To U.K. $1,300 Labor + Expenses

Thirteen hundred bucks to ferry an airplane to the UK...hard to call one's self a professional when one is prostituting one's self. I see the extra risk of taking the single over is worth an extra hundred bucks to you. That is special.

Many ferry pilots work on a daily rate basis, some bid it out by the trip. By the day, you take a Cessna 150 for one hundred fifty a day, but a 172 for one hundred eighty a day. You work cheap. Except for a 150 across the ocean, then it bumps up to eight thousand dollars.

Born In U.S.A., Social Drinker, & A Non Smoker, Adrenalin Junkie For Life :)

Now there's a resume of which anyone could be proud.

Why the grudge with this guy Avbug? You seem to be personally attacking him. I don't care, just curious. I'm always in the mood for a smart*** response. :)

Yes, I am making a living at it.

I admit it's a hard living but it's a living flying. There is no money in domestic airplane ferrying to many a**hole airline guys undercutting because they have and abuse their airline privileges, Jerks that do it for free and pay their own lodging etc, or simply the buyer don't want to pay anything because they are cheap and/or there is someone that will do it for almost nothing them guys can have the domestic ebay crap flights!!!

I saw Espalda Mojado the other day. His side business with PacoPollo is going well, and the two of them have been doing some great flying. I asked him how much it would cost to ferry an airplane overseas, he told me $250 trans-Atlantic and $350 trans-Pacific. It looks like you might be charging a little much for your services. Anyway, he is a nice guy, and you might see him in HWD, he said he is picking up some PA-44 Seminole ferry flying to Hawaii. He said it is easy to go out there and jumpseat back to the mainland, and no need for a hotel. Paco, on the other hand, just took off for the UK in a KingAir 90. It is a great way to stay current in the small airplanes on your days off, so they say. They also say they are giving back, by allowing time builders to come along in exchange for paying some of the expenses.

No, taking those crap wages and undercutting other professionals doing that job are not giving back to the industry, nor benifitting anybody. Just more dirtbags who are willing to lower the bar for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back