My first engine faliur

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
so yesterday a friend and I (both pilots) rented a 52 to go putt around the skies with cause we were bored. run up all good takeoff roll nothing out of the ordinary. not soon after 500' off doing a after T.O check, the rpm's dropped to about 1700 flirting with 14-1500. leaned her out but still were only able to maintain around 2000 rpm's. able to maintain alt decided to trn around and put her down with no incidence.

nothing like a simulated faluir and i tell ya what i almost needed a new pair or underoos. when i went back to the FBO and told them that i needed to sqwak it, the stupid lady at the desk, obviously not a pilot looked at me all funny and was like are you serious?? F-her. told her i wasnt paying for it and she tol me that i would. .3 hobbs. i refused. they'll call me in a few days to tell me whats up.


quick quistion a little off topic. why do we pay off the hobbs when all the maintenance is done off tach time??
 

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
4,006
Total Time
5500
Kream926 said:
so yesterday a friend and I (both pilots) rented a 52 to go putt around the skies with cause we were bored. run up all good takeoff roll nothing out of the ordinary. not soon after 500' off doing a after T.O check, the rpm's dropped to about 1700 flirting with 14-1500. leaned her out but still were only able to maintain around 2000 rpm's. able to maintain alt decided to trn around and put her down with no incidence.

nothing like a simulated faluir and i tell ya what i almost needed a new pair or underoos. when i went back to the FBO and told them that i needed to sqwak it, the stupid lady at the desk, obviously not a pilot looked at me all funny and was like are you serious?? F-her. told her i wasnt paying for it and she tol me that i would. .3 hobbs. i refused. they'll call me in a few days to tell me whats up.


quick quistion a little off topic. why do we pay off the hobbs when all the maintenance is done off tach time??
Good job and decision to turn back!! Most companies pay of the hobbs time because they make more money.
 

BD King

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Posts
407
Total Time
14000
say again said:
Good job and decision to turn back!! Most companies pay of the hobbs time because they make more money.
On a small airport, the difference runs about 15%. Because of taxi time and traffic, the percentage is higher on a larger airport.

Let us know what the problem was.
www.bdkingpress.com
 
Last edited:

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
Vladimir Lenin said:
carb ice?
nah

not a steady decrease it was sporatic on the brink of shutting down
 

Mmmmmm Burritos

Where mah dogs at?
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Posts
323
Total Time
Lies!!
Kream926 said:
quick quistion a little off topic. why do we pay off the hobbs when all the maintenance is done off tach time??
Hobbs time starts when the power is switched on (usually). Some are on an oil pressure switch. Tach time starts when the engine is running, and runs slower at idle than at cruise power.

It's only fair, you rent it for the hour, you get charged by the hour.

The electric hobbs switches of course stop running when you turn off the master :)
 

nosehair

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Posts
1,238
Total Time
24/7
Kream926 said:
F-her. told her i wasnt paying for it and she tol me that i would. .3 hobbs. i refused. they'll call me in a few days to tell me whats up.
Are YOU serious?? You can't buy that kind of experience...how do you get off thinkin' you don't have to pay for the time if you have some maint. problem in flight???....that's what all the 'simulated' training is all about, Sir. When you get to have a real one...then you wanna muck it it up with squealin' about PAYIN' for it??

I tell ya, these young kids today...
 

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
excuse me??

my inteded action for the flight was not to go around the pattern once at partial engine power
 

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Posts
4,006
Total Time
5500
Kream926 said:
my inteded action for the flight was not to go around the pattern once at partial engine power
At the school I used to instruct at, if .5 or less was put on the hobbs and you returned for mx, it eas free of charge. Above that you were charged the full amount.

I agree this was not your intention, but it was a great experience that you gained, and that you can't put a price on!!!!!
 

TurboS7

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
2,261
Total Time
19,210
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.
 

sky37d

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2003
Posts
999
Total Time
1000+
Kream926 said:
quick quistion a little off topic. why do we pay off the hobbs when all the maintenance is done off tach time??
It is useful to record hobbs time, because that is the time you were in the airplane excercising piloting skills.
 

Mmmmmm Burritos

Where mah dogs at?
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Posts
323
Total Time
Lies!!
TurboS7 said:
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.
Well, there are engine failures and then there are engine failures! I have a mangled con rod I found laying on top of the engine from the latter type of failure :)

Ahh the smell of burning oil - heard it's coming out next month as a new Starbucks flavor...
 

BD King

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Posts
407
Total Time
14000
TurboS7 said:
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.
You had an oil filter? Actually, I've seen screens split open at the seam because of those pesky chunks of metal.

www.bdkingpress.com
 

Jeff Helgeson

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 17, 2002
Posts
1,046
Total Time
18,000
Happened to me as a CFI

C-152 on T/O the only difference was at 300' - 500' and the RPM was fluctuating between 1000 - 1700 rpm. A cylinder had cracked and the airframe was vibrating badly. I took control and made a 180 and landed on the opposite runway. The straight ahead option was a firing range that was active, so thought the 180 was the best option. Always have a plan!

Turned out birds had been nesting in the engine. The aft cylinders (nearest the fire wall had straw packed in pretty tight. The cylinders would over heat and fail.
After two events like mine, they finally got wise and put cowl plugs in all the A/Cs.

Pay the .3 and quit bitching and don't asked to compensated for the soild undies, either!
 

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Posts
607
Total Time
NA
Kream926 said:
not soon after 500' off doing a after T.O check, the rpm's dropped to about 1700
Am I recieving sub-standard training or something??? I've never heard of an "after T.O. check". After the climb we usually just throttle back, trim it, and turn the fuel-pump off....
 

hotwings402

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 3, 2005
Posts
112
Total Time
2100
Carb ice can sometimes creep up quick to where you don't notice the rpm drop. You'd be surprised. Had a mechanical one time that was a complete failure that we did'nt get a to airport, nice crappy field that we wrecked the plane in.
 

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Posts
1,196
Total Time
1.21
TurboS7 said:
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.
ok ok i should have specified that it was a partial power loss. being a low timer i guess thats the worst that has happened to me so far and next to my solo i wouldnt forgett it.

unanswered

yes after to check. i think you fly a pa28 and i dont have too much time in em so i couldnt tell ya what it it. in a 52 it's

flaps up, mix set, power set needles in green
 

Catbert

I hate Teterboro
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
158
Total Time
2900
nosehair said:
Are YOU serious?? You can't buy that kind of experience...how do you get off thinkin' you don't have to pay for the time if you have some maint. problem in flight???....that's what all the 'simulated' training is all about, Sir. When you get to have a real one...then you wanna muck it it up with squealin' about PAYIN' for it??

I tell ya, these young kids today...
Kream926 said:
excuse me??

my inteded action for the flight was not to go around the pattern once at partial engine power
I think nosehair was just having a little fun with ya.
 

Pilot_Ryan

Tiller Twirler
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Posts
121
Total Time
Brunch
UnAnswerd said:
Am I recieving sub-standard training or something??? I've never heard of an "after T.O. check". After the climb we usually just throttle back, trim it, and turn the fuel-pump off....
Maybe, maybe not. Most single-engine, fixed-gear pistons don't require much in the way of pilot action right after takeoff, other than "Pitch for Vy." On the other hand, running after takeoff checks is a good habit to get into, as most airplanes you'll fly professionally in the future (if that's your goal) require them.

As I recall, I taught a "500 ft. check" which was basically an After T/O check. Gear up, flaps up, Vy. Pretty simple, but also common to much more complicated airplanes... you just add in bleeds, yaw damper, set cabin altitude, etc. etc.
 
Top