• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My first engine faliur

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.

Kream926 said:
quick quistion a little off topic. why do we pay off the hobbs when all the maintenance is done off tach time??

It is useful to record hobbs time, because that is the time you were in the airplane excercising piloting skills.

TurboS7 said:
Wouldn't call it an engine failure until the oil pressure is at zero and the bearings are gone filling the oil filter to the max.

Well, there are engine failures and then there are engine failures! I have a mangled con rod I found laying on top of the engine from the latter type of failure :)

Ahh the smell of burning oil - heard it's coming out next month as a new Starbucks flavor...

TurboS7 said:

You had an oil filter? Actually, I've seen screens split open at the seam because of those pesky chunks of metal.

www.bdkingpress.com

Happened to me as a CFI

C-152 on T/O the only difference was at 300' - 500' and the RPM was fluctuating between 1000 - 1700 rpm. A cylinder had cracked and the airframe was vibrating badly. I took control and made a 180 and landed on the opposite runway. The straight ahead option was a firing range that was active, so thought the 180 was the best option. Always have a plan!

Turned out birds had been nesting in the engine. The aft cylinders (nearest the fire wall had straw packed in pretty tight. The cylinders would over heat and fail.
After two events like mine, they finally got wise and put cowl plugs in all the A/Cs.

Pay the .3 and quit bitching and don't asked to compensated for the soild undies, either!

Kream926 said:
not soon after 500' off doing a after T.O check, the rpm's dropped to about 1700

Am I recieving sub-standard training or something??? I've never heard of an "after T.O. check". After the climb we usually just throttle back, trim it, and turn the fuel-pump off....

Carb ice can sometimes creep up quick to where you don't notice the rpm drop. You'd be surprised. Had a mechanical one time that was a complete failure that we did'nt get a to airport, nice crappy field that we wrecked the plane in.

TurboS7 said:

ok ok i should have specified that it was a partial power loss. being a low timer i guess thats the worst that has happened to me so far and next to my solo i wouldnt forgett it.

unanswered

yes after to check. i think you fly a pa28 and i dont have too much time in em so i couldnt tell ya what it it. in a 52 it's

flaps up, mix set, power set needles in green

nosehair said:
Are YOU serious?? You can't buy that kind of experience...how do you get off thinkin' you don't have to pay for the time if you have some maint. problem in flight???....that's what all the 'simulated' training is all about, Sir. When you get to have a real one...then you wanna muck it it up with squealin' about PAYIN' for it??

I tell ya, these young kids today...

Kream926 said:
excuse me??

my inteded action for the flight was not to go around the pattern once at partial engine power

I think nosehair was just having a little fun with ya.

UnAnswerd said:
Am I recieving sub-standard training or something??? I've never heard of an "after T.O. check". After the climb we usually just throttle back, trim it, and turn the fuel-pump off....

Maybe, maybe not. Most single-engine, fixed-gear pistons don't require much in the way of pilot action right after takeoff, other than "Pitch for Vy." On the other hand, running after takeoff checks is a good habit to get into, as most airplanes you'll fly professionally in the future (if that's your goal) require them.

As I recall, I taught a "500 ft. check" which was basically an After T/O check. Gear up, flaps up, Vy. Pretty simple, but also common to much more complicated airplanes... you just add in bleeds, yaw damper, set cabin altitude, etc. etc.

Latest resources

Back