Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
No.. you were told right.

Now on some aircraft, mostly helicopters, everything goes off of the hobbs, no tach. And in some cases, like the bell 47, the hobbs is connected to the master. Meaning you can indeed turn off the master and the hobbs stops ticking :D

He was told right, but perhaps incompletely. The Hobbs may be wired to activate via oil pressure, squat switch, master switch, etc. In that case it's not "straight" engine time at all, it's simply "recording engine time" via an on-off signal of some kind. If that signal is sent, the Hobbs will run regardless of whether the engine is actually turning over or not.

How about those of us that rent planes without a Hobbs OR a tach meter, and just write the startup and shutdown times in the airplane log? ;P

Glad things turned out happily for you. As far as the .3, pay it, and then talk to the general manager. If those idiots don't reimburse you for the money, tell them that it was your last flight there and you're going someplace else. If that doesn't make them reconsider, then the attitude of the lady at the counter carries through the entire organization and you don't want to be there anyway.

As far as what happened, I've seen the exact thing happen when a primer wasn't locked properly and slowly worked its way back out. It only takes a fraction of an inch backwards to allow enough raw fuel to enter the jugs and cause the roughness and loss of power. That would also explain why leaning helped a little, but not totally. There could be a hundred other explainations, but that's the one I've seen- especially if they come back and say they couldn't duplicate the problem.

UAL78

I was on takeoff roll one day with a student and the plane ran like crap, I took the plane back and 2 of the cylinders only had 20 pounds. On the side the student didnt get charged

Latest resources

Back