• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

My first engine faliur

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bull s%&#t. You shouldn't have to pay for that. I wouldn't either. All you guys harassing him.... would you pay for a rental car that broke down 2 miles from the place? Good job on handling the emergency and any FBO worth their salt wouldn't charge in the hope of securing a good future customer. I guess you all would be happier if the engine would have quit totally and he had to total the plane in a field.

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
The electric hobbs switches of course stop running when you turn off the master :)

Negative, the hour meter and the clock both run off of a 1A hot fuse, on the hot side of the master relay on the firewall. Turning off the master switch won't make any difference.

they are just messing with him. Why would he have to pay for something that was broken. They can't make him. Then again if they really insist, he probably won't be flying there again, which is a shame.

Q - are we talking about christiansen?

If so, if you have a maintence problem, i don't think they make you pay if its less than .3. I had a problem once in runup, brought it back, had .2 on it and no charge.

Anyhow - if it is christiansen, care sharing the tail number? I'd like to stay far away from that plane :)

you only get a break if you are carried out of the wreck by those guys in the somber black (and spill-proof) suits.... usually.

How about this, tell them if the near death experience was your fault you will pay them. If it was a mechanical issue,.. you won't tell your lawyer!!

Mmmmmm Burritos said:
Hobbs time starts when the power is switched on (usually). Some are on an oil pressure switch. Tach time starts when the engine is running, and runs slower at idle than at cruise power.

It's only fair, you rent it for the hour, you get charged by the hour.

The electric hobbs switches of course stop running when you turn off the master :)
Sorry about chiming in so late here, but I've got a question about this.

I've been told that that the hobbs time is the time that the engine is running in straight time and that the tach records time that the engine is operating faster than a certain RPM or as a function of the RPM vs. actual time (i.e. it spins slower at a lower RPM).

Was I told wrong?

Pay the .3 and quit bitching and don't asked to compensated for the soild undies, either

I agre with the above statement....anytime that engine is running you are burning fuel, which the flight school is paying for. However it is a serious matter and the squawk should have been taken seriously.

I once lost an engine(cylinder crack) in flight and landed on the beach. My student was not charged a dime and he continued his private plt. training with me at the school.

sqwkvfr said:
Sorry about chiming in so late here, but I've got a question about this.

I've been told that that the hobbs time is the time that the engine is running in straight time and that the tach records time that the engine is operating faster than a certain RPM or as a function of the RPM vs. actual time (i.e. it spins slower at a lower RPM).

Was I told wrong?

No.. you were told right.

Now on some aircraft, mostly helicopters, everything goes off of the hobbs, no tach. And in some cases, like the bell 47, the hobbs is connected to the master. Meaning you can indeed turn off the master and the hobbs stops ticking :D

Latest resources

Back