• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More planes for ExpressJet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At this point, and before its too late I'm suggesting we force both sides to put out a comprehensive report selling their system, we investigate both and then vote on which one to include. This is bordering insanity. Let the masses decide, if it sucks the winning side has nobody to blame and the other side can say 'I told you so', but at least we moved on. Consider my call to my rep done...............

At this point, and before its too late I'm suggesting we force both sides to put out a comprehensive report selling their system, we investigate both and then vote on which one to include. This is bordering insanity. Let the masses decide, if it sucks the winning side has nobody to blame and the other side can say 'I told you so', but at least we moved on. Consider my call to my rep done...............

Democracy, what a novel idea. I second this.

Will someone please explain something to me. I understand that with this "globalized" system, it can pull from more senior people to award to junior people. If I want to fly a 100 hour month and I have a schedule completed at that point, when it gets to someone junior to me, it can pull something from my schedule to complete theirs? Is this correct? Also, lets say 100 pilots are bidding. As you have stated the company decides the number of reserves. Let's say in this case 10. So 90 pilots WILL have lines. What if it gets to number 80 and doesn't have any more trips because many people senior to number 80 are bidding high value lines. It will go through the assigned lines and continue to remove trips from other people to complete those 10 lines? I don't see how the company can decide on the number of lines when they don't know how pilots will bid for the month. Therefore, if the company's estimate could be way off resulting in a lot of "globalization". Or will they decide that everyone will get an average line value to determine this?

One last question. Say it gets to the end and has to globalize. How does it work? Does it go from the most junior lineholder to the most senior, or does it start from the top down. And do you have anyway of preventing certain trips from being removed? I could see where some really junior people could end up with great trips and everyone in the middle is screwed. And how will this globalized solution work with "live" bidding. Will you know it while you are bidding, or will it be a surprise?

Let me take the easiest one first. The reserves lines are determined by line average. If you run the average too low then you force the system to create more line holders, thus less reserves. If you run it too high you create less line holders and more reserves. The software does have a way to say "force reserve after xx number of line holders". But by doing that you take away some of the logic of the system. Allowing it to "float" will allow the system the most flexibility for situations when pairings are added/remover or bidders are added or removed during bidding. Because, keep in mind, the system is dynamic and it allows the pairings to account for flight retimes and changes to pairings even while bidding. And it also allows the bid list to be adjusted so you won't get someone awarded a schedule when they should be on some sort of leave. But it's still driving to the line average and will not say "you can't have a line because 25 senior guys all want to fly 100 hours."

As for globalization, to answer your question, if you are in the restricted group, yes, there is a chance that a pairing that you want would be awarded to a junior pilot in order to complete the solution. Now lets talk about how it determines who is in the restricted group.

The first thing it does it evaluates where the critical period is. It takes everything such as preassigned absences (vacation, training days etc) to see that there may be a period where there are less pilots available. Then it looks at the trips to see if they are stacked up anyplace. So how does it combat that? Since it knows where the "critical period" is it knows that it's going to try to cover those trips/days with pilots who are not in the restricted group. So lets use the example that you want 4 day commutable trips with the weekends off. A very general bid. The system reads your bid and assigns trips in the best way that will cover the solution while still honoring your requests. Of course you could tag trips (request specific pairings) or be very specific on the order in which you set up your bid and pilots in the non restricted group will certainly get them if no one senior has taken them. So the system is looking ahead trying to cover that critical period and thus reducing when the restricted group starts. The key, like in every globalized PBS system is giving the system flexibility through work rules. The reason CAL was so angry wasn't due to globalization, it was because their work rules sucked. 19 hours for vacation, zero credit for training and award logic that would not leave open time.

It doesn't get to the bottom and work it's way back up because it doesn't need to. Once in the restricted group it builds 10's of thousands of combinations of lines in an attempt to best meet the bid parameters. It constructs roughly 10 lines a time then evaluates if the solution will complete inside of acceptable parameters. In our stress tests where everyone bid for the same day off the ONLY time a junior bidder got a day off he requested when a senior pilot didn't was when the senior pilot had training days and giving him the requested day off would have violated 2 in 7 off.

Here is another thing to consider. Lets say you're in the bottom 25% of lineholders. And lets say that you're also in the restricted group. In every other PBS system out there you have no idea what you can possibly hold. Unless you're in the top 10-20% you're not bidding for specific (tagging trips) pairings anyway. So saying "well I wanted that trip but a junior pilot got it" is kinda a silly argument. Because at that level you don't know what you're bidding for. You don't know whats actually available to you....except in smartpref. In any other system how are you supposed to construct your bid when you are junior and you want pairing xx? Because even if you possibly get pairing xx you don't know if the other remaining pairings will give you a complete legal line, and flightline is the same way. In smartpref you can see it right away. You can still bid it however you may not get that pairing because the combination of that pairing and the other remaining pairings is not enough to give you a legal line.

Anyway hope that helps out. I'll be in ATL all week if someone is really interested in taking a look.

It helps and it confuses. There are a lot of new terms. I don't understand it still, but some stuff if starting to make sense. I would like to see it in action but won't be anywhere near ATL this week. Not that any of us regular line guys have any real say in it anyways. The couple of things that I am not very sure about/uncomfortable with are phrases like "system flexibility" "average line value". To be clear, when this system is creating lines, (forget guys with vacation, i'm talking just normal monthly bidders) it drives every line toward an average value? Is there no way to control how much credit you get in a month? Secondly, what I do like about Flightline is that it is fairly simple. When its your turn for an award, it looks at what is in the pot when you are up. Then it goes through your preferences. In order and assigns until it hits the threshold, or you are no longer legal ( or window minimum if you do it right). If one pairing is in your pref #1, its yours, then #2. So if you set up your preferences properly, no person junior to you should ever get a trip that you would rather have. Unless it isn't allowed legally because of a pairing that's on your schedule as a result of a higher preference. You don't get to see and tweek your bid, which would be nice but it seems to allow for more "pilot" control, vs computer/system control. Under Flightline, I basically program the system to complete my bid and once I submit it, I am done worrying about it. It seems Smartpref may allow for more tweaking but require more time spent looking at your live bid and adjusting. Which to means seems like more work then just programming the bid. An hour or so of my time and I can create my schedule. I don't know it until its published, but assuming I didn't make any mistakes, it will be what I want/the best I could hold based on my desires. I do think that with Smartpref, you could catch your mistakes before bid closes, but honestly I am not perfect but that has only happened to me one month. And it was a simple mistake that I normally don't allow but forgot because I was in a hurry at the last minute. Not trying to discredit Smartpref, just trying to understand the advantages. Hopefully a system will be picked soon and we can get this contract done. It is better for everyone of us to be a single company.

It helps and it confuses. There are a lot of new terms. I don't understand it still, but some stuff if starting to make sense. I would like to see it in action but won't be anywhere near ATL this week. Not that any of us regular line guys have any real say in it anyways. The couple of things that I am not very sure about/uncomfortable with are phrases like "system flexibility" "average line value". To be clear, when this system is creating lines, (forget guys with vacation, i'm talking just normal monthly bidders) it drives every line toward an average value? Is there no way to control how much credit you get in a month? Secondly, what I do like about Flightline is that it is fairly simple. When its your turn for an award, it looks at what is in the pot when you are up. Then it goes through your preferences. In order and assigns until it hits the threshold, or you are no longer legal ( or window minimum if you do it right). If one pairing is in your pref #1, its yours, then #2. So if you set up your preferences properly, no person junior to you should ever get a trip that you would rather have. Unless it isn't allowed legally because of a pairing that's on your schedule as a result of a higher preference. You don't get to see and tweek your bid, which would be nice but it seems to allow for more "pilot" control, vs computer/system control. Under Flightline, I basically program the system to complete my bid and once I submit it, I am done worrying about it. It seems Smartpref may allow for more tweaking but require more time spent looking at your live bid and adjusting. Which to means seems like more work then just programming the bid. An hour or so of my time and I can create my schedule. I don't know it until its published, but assuming I didn't make any mistakes, it will be what I want/the best I could hold based on my desires. I do think that with Smartpref, you could catch your mistakes before bid closes, but honestly I am not perfect but that has only happened to me one month. And it was a simple mistake that I normally don't allow but forgot because I was in a hurry at the last minute. Not trying to discredit Smartpref, just trying to understand the advantages. Hopefully a system will be picked soon and we can get this contract done. It is better for everyone of us to be a single company.

I think he meant that, like any PBS, it's about work rules. It needs to have flexibility for the award logic to work efficiently but not so much so that it turns into CAL's system. For example, if we had a work rule that required it to solve to zero open time, you have taken some of the flexibility away and will end up with worse lines. But on the other hand, you also want to have as high as a credit value you can negotiate, assigned to vacation and training, as possible also.

As for line averages, you can set it up to give you maximum line value, up to the contractual or legal limit, or you can have it build you a line down to MMG. Of course it depends on your seniority and what the line average of those more senior to you have compared to how much open time it needs to cover with everyone below you in seniority.

Lastly, if you don't want to "worry" about your bid, you can just take your whatever time it takes you to bid, see in real time if you made any mistakes or you bid something your seniority could hold, and be done with it. No need to come back to it later. You can just wait until your line is final as you do now.

Last edited:
I think he meant that, like any PBS, it's about work rules. It needs to have flexibility for the award logic to work efficiently but not so much so that it turns into CAL's system. For example, if we had a work rule that required it to solve to zero open time, you have taken some of the flexibility away and will end up with worse lines. But on the other hand, you also want to have as high as a credit value you can negotiate, assigned to vacation and training, as possible also.

Just write this junk into the filghtline software. Why bring in this POS. Why? Ask yourself. Why. Give me ONE good reason other than your MEC says it the best.

If it's so good, why are you volunteering to be the guinea pig. The laboratory mouse. Why.

Flightline is a quality system. It honors seniority. ACEY PEOPLE WAKE UP

Yup, its being hidden by our MEC. The information was in the white paper along with everyone being told to go watch videos, bid, etc here.

http://www.crewingsolutions.com/

The XJT guys accuse our MEC of hiding things from us yet it all seems to be there for those willing o either read or click on a website and spend sometime watching videos.

Latest resources

Back